Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to expect at the Immigration Desk

What to expect at the Immigration Desk

Old Jan 1st 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Aussielover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to expect at the Immigration Desk

I will be emigrating from Scotland to Adelaide at the end of January on a 100/309 Spouse Visa, along with my partner who is an Australian Passport-Holder, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me what to expect when I arrive at Adelaide Airport?

I have a paper copy of a 'Visa Grant Notice' from IMMI for both the '100' (Permanent) and '309' (Temporary) Spouse Visas, which I'll obviously keep alongside my UK Passport along with their covering letters, and I intended to present these to the Immigration Officer when I arrive at Adelaide Airport. Will it just be a case of him/her stamping my passport and waving me through, or will there be a more detailed investigation and the need for other paperwork, such as Birth Certificate etc.?

We'll be arriving late-evening after 24+hours of travelling, and I just don't know what to expect. My Migration Agent here sort of 'lost interest' after my visa was granted, and hasn't really explained what happens next.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their own experience, just to put me in the picture.

Oh, And Happy New Year to All from Edinburgh!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 3:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect at the Immigration Desk

Originally Posted by Aussielover
I will be emigrating from Scotland to Adelaide at the end of January on a 100/309 Spouse Visa, along with my partner who is an Australian Passport-Holder, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me what to expect when I arrive at Adelaide Airport?

I have a paper copy of a 'Visa Grant Notice' from IMMI for both the '100' (Permanent) and '309' (Temporary) Spouse Visas, which I'll obviously keep alongside my UK Passport along with their covering letters, and I intended to present these to the Immigration Officer when I arrive at Adelaide Airport. Will it just be a case of him/her stamping my passport and waving me through, or will there be a more detailed investigation and the need for other paperwork, such as Birth Certificate etc.?

We'll be arriving late-evening after 24+hours of travelling, and I just don't know what to expect. My Migration Agent here sort of 'lost interest' after my visa was granted, and hasn't really explained what happens next.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their own experience, just to put me in the picture.

Oh, And Happy New Year to All from Edinburgh!
Just walk through with everyone else.....all the information needed will be on your passport and in their system
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Grayling - That's very reassuring!

I suppose its a big deal to me having never emigrated before, but something hundreds of others will be doing on the very same day without any fuss..
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussielover
Thanks Grayling - That's very reassuring!

I suppose its a big deal to me having never emigrated before, but something hundreds of others will be doing on the very same day without any fuss..
You will soon find out if there is a probem
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ha Ha...

My nightmares have been filled lately with a Burly Aussie Border-Guard saying something like:

"You forgot to bring your First Year Primary School Report - Get back on the plane!"

I'm sure it'll all work out fine in the end though...
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you have a biometric passport you can use the Smartgate with your partner - no need to speak to a border officer at all. You'll need to hand in your landing card but providing you don't have any criminal convictions you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:21 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately they don't do or say anything - just process you with the same dead-eyed indifference as if you were on a tourist visa.

They should at least have a bell to ring, or present you with a ceremonial can of aeroguard.

Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Unfortunately they don't do or say anything - just process you with the same dead-eyed indifference as if you were on a tourist visa.

They should at least have a bell to ring, or present you with a ceremonial can of aeroguard.

Maybe they could do a little happy dance.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

As long as they don't frog-match me somewhere for a strip-search, I don't mind what they do!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - they will stamp you through as though you were on any other visa. Welcome to Australia!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you need the visa sticker attached to a page of your passport? That's how I've always had mine and I'm on a spouse visa.

Just double check that the IMMI letter is ALL you require
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

DIBP doesn't issue vignettes anymore, it's now 100% electronic. The grant notification letter isn't required but useful in case of any technical hiccups.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
DIBP doesn't issue vignettes anymore, it's now 100% electronic. The grant notification letter isn't required but useful in case of any technical hiccups.
Crikey, Oz has finally used technology for something
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just walk through with everyone else.....all the information needed will be on your passport and in their system
Yup.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Crikey, Oz has finally used technology for something
Which when it comes to this sort of stuff they have well sorted, really...

To the op: don't worry about it. I had a case of interest and it was not an issue. A visa grant is a visa grant.

Worry more about the Aussie wildlife like a real migrant

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 7th 2017 at 4:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.