Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is everyone else' opinion?

What is everyone else' opinion?

Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is everyone else' opinion?

Hi there

Just wondering what everyone else' opinion is on this.

My other half went for a job interview at the local Council 3 weeks ago. It was the perfect job, more sociable hours and 10 grand a year more than what he’s on now. He said the interview went well and he came away feeling optimistic.

At the interview, he was told that because the job had not been formally signed off/approved by management, it would probably be about a week before he was contacted further. That was fine. A week came and went - heard nothing. Sent e-mail – no reply. Two weeks after interview, phoned them up only to be advised that they were unable to discuss this with him at the moment and that this woman’s Manager will phone back.

There has never been a rejection letter, which from past experience usually turns up a few days after the interview, and if he had been unsuccessful, why would a Manager have to phone back. That was a week ago – and no one ever phoned
Phoned again yesterday and everyone was in meetings all day, and today it’s a training course – no one available.

This has been dragging on for 3 weeks and all we’re after is a bit of information
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:30 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default Re: What is everyone else' opinion?

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi there

My other half went for a job interview at the local Council 3 weeks ago. It was the perfect job, more sociable hours and 10 grand a year more than what he’s on now. He said the interview went well and he came away feeling optimistic.

At the interview, he was told that because the job had not been formally signed off/approved by management, it would probably be about a week before he was contacted further. That was fine. A week came and went - heard nothing. Sent e-mail – no reply. Two weeks after interview, phoned them up only to be advised that they were unable to discuss this with him at the moment and that this woman’s Manager will phone back.

There has never been a rejection letter, which from past experience usually turns up a few days after the interview, and if he had been unsuccessful, why would a Manager have to phone back. That was a week ago – and no one ever phoned
Phoned again yesterday and everyone was in meetings all day, and today it’s a training course – no one available.

This has been dragging on for 3 weeks and all we’re after is a bit of information
Sounds familiar. I haven't experienced this myself but a friend in Brisbane told me she never received rejection letters and also someone I met through BE has had a similar experience although it didn't get to interview stage. Still, he's waited about 7 weeks and heard nothing. It's just 'bloody rude' as the Aussies would say!! I worked for local government back in the UK and although they had to advertise positions, normally they had someone in mind internally.....could be the case? Whatever the reason it's very unprofessional....good luck though. Sandra
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's important before applying to find out if there is an "incumbent" i.e. someone acting in the position. Your chances of beating this person will be slim.

At UWA (at least in our section), if you make it to the interview stage you will be telephoned afterwards and told over the phone if you didn't get the job, and the reasons why not.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:42 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi there

It's only been 3 weeks, I'd imagine they are still scratching their balls and on tea break if it's a council job. Probably arguing over who's job it is to write the letter, put the stamp on etc.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sassie]Hi there

Just wondering what everyone Else opinion is on this.

Hi Sassie,

Firstly I would forget the job however good it seemed, this is just a typical attitude that the majority of Aussie companies unfortunately adopt. If they are as slack as that with regards to an interview they are just displaying the highest degree of un-professionalism and rudeness and I would not personaly want to work for such an organisation.

I would send a letter of your displeasure and cc the letter/e-mail to the Managing Director or Chairman of the company, mind you these type of practices usually stem from the top down and so will do you no good as the M.D is probably just as slack.

I wish you both all the best and things are meant for a reason, move on and try to find better, you deserve it.

Tony

www.platinumrelocations.com.au
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I was also told that there is usually an internal candidate for the job, but they have to advertise and interview by law. On the plus side however, if you were any good they would put you on a elegibilty list for further jobs that meet you criteria and can even be given the job without the need to advertise. This works as thats how I got my job . I did receive a refection leatter though and it detailed that I was being put on the list. I work for Northern Sydney and Central Coast Health which I would think has similar working practices as councils.

Jo
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys for your comments. Will keep you posted of the outcome.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
It's only been 3 weeks, I'd imagine they are still scratching their balls and on tea break if it's a council job. Probably arguing over who's job it is to write the letter, put the stamp on etc.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:01 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this Sassie but from my experience this is the norm when I was job hunting I didnt hear anything back from approx 95% of the jobs I applied for.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Sorry to hear this Sassie but from my experience this is the norm when I was job hunting I didnt hear anything back from approx 95% of the jobs I applied for.
Its perfectly normal. Even for jobs in my own department I have had to wait 2 months for a rejection letter, which then only turned up after I complained. I had a rejection letter this week for a job I was interviewed for in a different department - in FEBRUARY!
Its lousy service, but its the way they operate here.