Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Wikiposts

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:44 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by RichS
Renth has got a point. By the time Christmas hits in the UK you've had a gutful of lousy weather and it really is the only shining beacon on the horizon, followed by another 2 months of horrible weather.
Perhaps thats why we all throw that bit more effort into it all.Of course if Christmas did occur here in July, and it was a TV ratings period, and the weather had been rubbish for a while then we'd probably get a little more from it.

The beach thing really is just a novelty. We're in Sydney this year and will be having people over from the UK. I'm desparately looking for some inspiration.

If anyone has any ideas - they must cater for a mother-in-law and 2 under 5s

Yes I agree with Renth's point. In the UK Christmas was actually placed on a date to replace a feast in pagan England. The point of this feast was to cheer people up in the middle of bad weather and salted pork. Not the same over here; at this time of year the weather is good and the beaches are open. I just hope that we don't get too many bush fires.

I actually did the Christmas in July thing one year in the Blue Mountains.

Good luck with the relatives by the way - when they come to stay in Australia it is usually for a while.

Old Nov 8th 2003, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Billabong207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool christmas wish

Just wish my visa was sorted and we were soaking up the sun. We were in QLD Gladstone at my brothers last year. This year cold grey merseyside UK.

No sunnies for us this christmas
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting p*ssed cos its cold grey and miserable in the UK!! Oh well at least there's 'The Snowman' on TV to look forward too!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jamesy
Getting p*ssed cos its cold grey and miserable in the UK!! Oh well at least there's 'The Snowman' on TV to look forward too!

... and " James Bond "....

...and " Star Wars "....

...and don't forget the " Eastenders " special every year....

BRILLIANT!!!! ( said with sarcasm ) !!!!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

just make sure you are asleep by the time the Queens speach is on - oh my gawd please don't tell me they show it in OZ!!!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:39 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
What is everyone doing for Xmas & the holidays? I need some inspiration, had a last minute brilliant idea to go to Fiji for 5 or 6 days after xmas since Dagboy has holidays from Xmas til after New Year, but I cant get a flight for love nor money

Is anyone else doing anything/going anywhere exciting?

Oh Xmas day for us will be spent at my brothers place or my nieces, very upset as since family members have moved, no-one has a pool now & no doubt it will be a scorcher, bugger the baked turkey, try baked Dagboys :scared: .
Having a christmas day bbq beside the pool surrounded by family having a few drinks when kids are in bed watching the sun set over the hills, watching the possums play in the trees and admiring the cockatoo,s flying past...that good enough?
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

AAAAGGGGHHHHH just a little bit jealous! Oh well, Xmas 2004 I shall be doing the same, Ozzy red on the beach would do me with hubby burning turkey steaks on the BBQ!!!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:50 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by Jamesy
AAAAGGGGHHHHH just a little bit jealous! Oh well, Xmas 2004 I shall be doing the same, Ozzy red on the beach would do me with hubby burning turkey steaks on the BBQ!!!
sounds good to me to, not the burnt steaks though
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:55 am
Badge

Originally posted by steandleigh
... and " James Bond "....

...and " Star Wars "....

...and don't forget the " Eastenders " special every year....

BRILLIANT!!!! ( said with sarcasm ) !!!!
when I was a kid, a Bond was on every Christmas day (it seemed).

This last ten years or so it's gone out of 'favour'.

Badge

Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

when I was a kid I was told Christmas in Australia would look like this...... (rose tinted specs at the ready .....

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 5th 2007 at 10:09 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

and the second half of the pic (sorry, it wouldn't scan all in one !!)

From Teddy Bear Weekly Annual, 1969!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 5th 2007 at 10:09 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Melanoma Memories :scared:

Last edited by dotty; Nov 10th 2003 at 12:12 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Polly, that pic is so funny, especially the guy in the 1st half waving over his shoulder (they couldnt draw him side on? or it just wouldnt show what a tan he had? haha) & the surfing in the backgroud & the whole lie of the land/angle of the beach thing. It looks more like Hawaii LOL.

My xmas plans have gone out the window yet again, gave up on Fiji & decided on Port Douglas, booked flights & have now found that the resort we want is fully booked .
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:40 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I see they have got their Tupperware in that basket :scared: .. and the woman in the background must be the first to slip slop slap.. she's wearing a hat. What is that little girl doing to her doll?

Cheers

P.S I can't agree with the weather thing .. I find the celebrations here lack lustre compared to parties and such in S.E.A(which is also hot). One year a load of us we went up to Johor Baru (malaysia).. even there we had Malays chucking fire crackers in the street (banned in Sing).

P.S yes we get the queens speech here.. not that I ever watch it.

PPS you need earplugs for the cockies.. lol . have you heard them??? we get them in our trees each evening .. the screeching sounds as if it's something being strangled.. not a very pretty sound at all.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Xams dinner in the Dutch club on Adam Road was my particualr favourite.
We used to go to JB the week before to load up with hookey dvds to give as presents to the rels back home.

Sorry I've come over all singaporean again. I nearly did it on the front loader/top loader thread ... surely you'd just get your maid to do it for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.