Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Chavs, cold weather, dreadful beaches and a crap cricket team.
Easy on the cricket stuff, a certain team just got spanked big time by NZ
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by task
a good take away( chinkys and indian)they are all shite over hear.
task
Funny, I reckon Chinese and Thai tastes much better over here. In the UK Chinese food tastes like it has been sweetened for the palate whereas here it tastes a bit more "authentic". But that's just my observation and personal preference. It's deffo cheaper here though.

I agree that there are hardly any Indian takeaways but then I never liked curries anyway and do not miss being dragged along for a balti
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:35 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Funny, I reckon Chinese and Thai tastes much better over here. In the UK Chinese food tastes like it has been sweetened for the palate whereas here it tastes a bit more "authentic". But that's just my observation and personal preference. It's deffo cheaper here though.
I would definitely agree about the Chinese and there are definitely more Thai restaurants.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

SharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really nice

altho still in england, I have spent a lot of time in Oz (and daughter of a ping pong pom)

I dont get the whole chocolate thing? Cadburys have a factory in Tassie so loads of cheap good chocolate and there are lots of boutique chocolate shops , with beautiful hand made chocs ...even hobart has one...perhaps 2. the shop in salamanca is great.

telly is awful, but its pretty bad here in the UK as well....honestly.

Try downloading (if you can get cheap broadband!!!)

internet truly is bad, in tas we just cant get broadband altho the technician said we could. Telstar just keep saying they have no obligation to supply us but we can have the (expensive) alternative).OH still pulling out hair re this, but we just nip down the road to friend who has unlimited download once in a while.

agree Thai and chinese food is better. some good indian take aways in Hobart (yep, you can get "authentic" baltis. kebabs etc)

pubs, yes, but lots of other types of bars ....

yep europe is far away but there are cheap flights to lots of other places if you are adventurous... Thailand, Indonesia, Fiji (and Singapore and KL if you need that Marks and Spencer fix) plus a lot of Oz to see? yes its hot .

If you love England but want to stay in Oz, try Tasmania.. (actually dont! stay away! ) wind, cool, english feel, georgian buildings, green etc etc. Hobart reminds me of Harrogate by the sea

I spent most of my life living out of england and you do miss it, you would be weird if you didnt feel nostalgic and have fond memories, but if you give things a chance they are also nice, but different, although I sympathise with those people who miss their family so much. That is hard and irreplaceable. My Gran flew out to visit me every year while I was away until she was 93, bless her.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>What does UK have that Oz doesn't?<<

Standards.

Even now, and after years of Messrs Blair and Brown, the average decent member of the population knows when things are not done properly, and will make a fuss about it.

I am afraid that, in Oz, general standards are so low that people honestly can't work out what you are complaining about. Hence the epithet "Whingeing Pom".

(It's been a bad day - just back from inspecting our new windows....)
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SharonN
internet truly is bad, in tas we just cant get broadband altho the technician said we could.
not true-i've got broadband???
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

SharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really nice

hi ian, yes, its available, but not in our area (although telstar technicians says it is and certain houses up our road have it). Exhausted all avenues and they definitley wont install it.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:52 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

hi ian, yes, its available, but not in our area (although telstar technicians says it is and certain houses up our road have it). Exhausted all avenues and they definitley wont install it.
Get friendly and install a wireless link between the two houses. My whole road in the uk was sharing a line until the the prices came down
Old Feb 17th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

which area is that?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

up in summerleas, above Kingston. its very annoying as a couple of houses further away do have it. we can get satellite but its very very expensive. annoyingly we can see the exchnge in kingston from our house (in the distnce, we are on a hill). Its buggered up my plan of working from home once a week.......
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

up in summerleas, above Kingston. its very annoying as a couple of houses further away do have it. we can get satellite but its very very expensive. annoyingly we can see the exchnge in kingston from our house (in the distnce, we are on a hill). Its buggered up my plan of working from home once a week.......
that's not very good - we're in west hobart and no problem here - i work in kingston town shopping centre just down the road from you!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

I suspect I have met you ....think you tested my eyes!

still in england (me) other half in Tas, one son today on route to sydney,,,,aaagh!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

wireless link idea sounds good. will ask oh. not sure its feasible tho as we are all on large plots (ours is 5 acres......)
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
Hey all,

Still over in UK at present, currently doing TRA so a long way to go but its great finding out about Oz on this forum, reading about peoples experiences.

Started this thread cos I am interested in finding out what the UK has that Oz doesn't......yet.

Keen to find out what products, food, businesses, shops etc people miss out in Oz, be interesting to find out. So far people have said that they miss the cheap clothing and british telly (minority though, LOL), anything else?
Walker cheese and onion crisps!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I suspect I have met you ....think you tested my eyes!

still in england (me) other half in Tas, one son today on route to sydney,,,,aaagh!
how can that be if you're in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.