Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:08 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Don't know where you come from in the UK but I have to buy free range chicken here as the normal chickens have 4 drumsticks and don't taste like chicken as we know it. What's all that about? Mouldy salad and strawberries here. Don't know what people are on about when they say the fruit and veg is better. Have they never been to Sainsburys? If you love it or hate it here, you have to agree that the variety of food here is not comparable to the UK. I just find that every week we are eating either free range chicken, leg of lamb or something with heart smart mince. My shopping costs about $300 per week and we don't have luxuries. Cereal or toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and meat and potatoes, veg or salad, or pasta for dinner. Oh, yes, forgot about the great barby food (barby packs are inedible). Don't even mention gravy...

I don't mean to offend, but anyone who lives here and thinks the food is better than the UK must have not had a very good diet.

Jo
I don't have the problems you have, its not about UK v Oz I just haven't had the same experiences as you. I can buy food for my family and make something nice with it, I spend about the same as you every week. Not quite sure what luxuries are and whether I have them or not,
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
The best I've come across is Little Creaters Pilsner, a local Fremantle brewery, just beautiful.
I'm enjoying LC's Bright Ale at the moment. Very nice.
UK beer does nothing for me (apart from giving me a big belly!).
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, you're right, the meat and veg are nicer and fresher than the UK IMO, but the take aways are appalling.

The missus cooks a cracking Sunday roast but only when we have Bisto gravy granules
we don't eat a lot of takeaway. I am a good cook and I can make better myself and its cheaper too.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that the thread was entitled "What does the UK have that Oz doesn't?"

So was just giving my opinion on food shopping. If you are happy with the food here then that's great.

Jo
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm enjoying LC's Bright Ale at the moment. Very nice.
UK beer does nothing for me (apart from giving me a big belly!).
James Squire Amber Ale is the resident brew in our fridge at the moment. Not a huge beer drinker but this one is lovely.
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that the thread was entitled "What does the UK have that Oz doesn't?"

So was just giving my opinion on food shopping. If you are happy with the food here then that's great.

Jo
Good cooks?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:14 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
we don't eat a lot of takeaway. I am a good cook and I can make better myself and its cheaper too.
There's another Aus thread started in the Aus forum....
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Good cooks?
Or just more stuff to cook with????

Cooking wasn't a main thing in my life before I came here.... shows how bored I've become!!!!

Jo
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

There's another Aus thread started in the Aus forum....
I know, a load of drivel most of it.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:18 pm
poynter

poynters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I know that feeling, our RSL is probably 40 minutes walk and the next pub after that (errrr, actually the only pub for some considerable distance...) is another 30 minutes. But having a young daughter means that I tend to be more of a home-boy anyway.

Back in the UK I did have pubs within walking distance but most of them you wouldn't want to visit ... you might walk there but you'd be going home in a ******* ambulance ... they are the sort of places where the bouncers give you weapons as you go in for your own protection

Chatham, Kent ... So good they named it once. (I make that 4 times I've used that joke on these here boards, I should retire it now). There isn't a day that goes by when not happy to be well off out of that place ...

I shall make do here with some Hobgoblin from my local-ish 1st Choice Liquor Superstore (shameless plug, they do a fine selection).

Cheers,
Matt
hi just saw you were from chatham kent?, have the misfortune of living in Rochester!, still loads of pubs you wouldnt show your face in, nothing gets any better!, how long u been in Aus.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Cooking wasn't a main thing in my life before I came here.... shows how bored I've become!!!!

Jo
thats obvious by your idea that ready to cook in the oven duck is good food.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:21 pm
Keeping it fairly real

Jo
No need to worry, the AFL starts this weekend. Watch the footy as you cook, that's what the missus does and she loves it!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

No need to worry, the AFL starts this weekend. Watch the footy as you cook, that's what the missus does and she loves it!
Yes another season starts, off to Subi on Sunday.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can't wait!! Did you watch the PROPER football last night?

Jo
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
thats obvious by your idea that ready to cook in the oven duck is good food.
Didn't say it was good food, just like the variety. Can't be doing with meat and two veg every night, at home we went out more and food wasn't such a big deal.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.