Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Sod the dartboard just a decent pint of Theakstons, Bass, Tim Taylors..............................It's all available here in bottles so like you say it's not a deal breaker.
I must admit to being a drinker of poncy and unpronouncable Eastern European beers myself. Never really got the whole 'Real ale' thing myself.

Pass me a bottle of Zywiec please!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
At the supermarket I just stand there and wait and wonder why the checkout chick isn't packing my bags and then suddenly it dawns yeah! you have to pack your own bags here. Oops and apologise to the queue behind me
I would prefer to pack my own bags, because it takes so long for them to pack the bags the quesues are massive. I have on about 10 times been in a queue with about 5 trollies infront of me and it's take 30 minutes to get to the checkout. I have on more than 10times left my trolly full of goods and walked out of the supermarket. Due to the queues being more than 5 people deep.

I now try and shop at about 10PM on Friday nights or before 9am on Sundays These seem to be the best time for Shopper / Checkout chick ratio's are perfect, with only a few minutes wait.

Aussie supermarket checkouts SUCK bigtime.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Deleted racist post

Last edited by cresta57; Feb 18th 2007 at 2:49 am. Reason: Racism will not be tolerated last warning for you!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:18 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Or just a pub within walking distance. Not an theme pub, just a pub ......

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
The occasional visit to a proper country pub (max 1 slot machine) complete with traditional garden would be nice.

But it ain't a deal-breaker.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, when I was a checkout 'chick' - 3 months aged 16 - I used to see people with an empty bag in hand almost waiting for the starter's pistol. They'd look at me as if to say, 'ready when you are'. I'd get their first item, glance up, establish eye contact, wait for a slight nod indicating readiness, and BANG - and they're off! Interesting to see if they could keep up with me.

I used to flirt with all the housewives. Happy days. I was DEAD goodlooking in those days.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:29 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In the UK, when I was a checkout 'chick' - 3 months aged 16 - I used to see people with an empty bag in hand almost waiting for the starter's pistol. They'd look at me as if to say, 'ready when you are'. I'd get their first item, glance up, establish eye contact, wait for a slight nod indicating readiness, and BANG - and they're off! Interesting to see if they could keep up with me.

I used to flirt with all the housewives. Happy days. I was DEAD goodlooking in those days.
Did you not call for the 'Queuebusters' to come and help them with their packing, or were you too busy trying to romance the bored housewives?

I can see why the queues start now - bored housewives and DEAD goodlooking checkout staff flirting all day! I am obviously in the wrong job!

S
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Did you not call for the 'Queuebusters' to come and help them with their packing, or were you too busy trying to romance the bored housewives?

I can see why the queues start now - bored housewives and DEAD goodlooking checkout staff flirting all day! I am obviously in the wrong job!
S
I don't recall having a large queue out of all proportion to anyone elses. I do recall chatting to the mothers of school friends.

I have a distinct memory, now, of walking out of the men's toilet just in time to hear one of the girls say to another "xxx is sooo good looking" and then going bright red when she saw I'd heard. I think it was the first time I realised that I might actually be on to something. You know what's it like, at 16 you don't really know the full extent of your charms.lol.

I returned a year later, after military training went through the checkout next to hers and glanced at her to see her absolutely clocking me like she was going to faint. She went bright red again.

As Renth said - to be young again. Memories are the stuff of life - you can take them everywhere. This is what alot of the pommy whingers forget.

cheers
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:53 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
>>What does UK have that Oz doesn't?<<

Standards.

Even now, and after years of Messrs Blair and Brown, the average decent member of the population knows when things are not done properly, and will make a fuss about it.

I am afraid that, in Oz, general standards are so low that people honestly can't work out what you are complaining about. Hence the epithet "Whingeing Pom".

(It's been a bad day - just back from inspecting our new windows....)
Completely 100 per cent disagree with you. The more I am in England the more I realise just how well everything is done in Australia, from the political system to the health system to the food to the transport system.

If anything people in England don't complain, that old "musn't grumble" adage... they might in the private sector but I cannot believe people accept having their rubbish lying around on the streets, lining up for close to an hour in a post office to get a stamp, having their transport network come crashing to a halt at the first dusting of snow etc etc

The term whinging POM refers to a section of english peope who go looking for fault wherever they can find it and then like rubbing it in the noses of arrogant Australians.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Completely 100 per cent disagree with you. The more I am in England the more I realise just how well everything is done in Australia, from the political system to the health system to the food to the transport system.

If anything people in England don't complain, that old "musn't grumble" adage... they might in the private sector but I cannot believe people accept having their rubbish lying around on the streets, lining up for close to an hour in a post office to get a stamp, having their transport network come crashing to a halt at the first dusting of snow etc etc

The term whinging POM refers to a section of english peope who go looking for fault wherever they can find it and then like rubbing it in the noses of arrogant Australians.
I went into the post office in Joondalup just last week to post my brothers birthday present. I queued for 25 minutes.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:01 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I went into the post office in Joondalup just last week to post my brothers birthday present. I queued for 25 minutes.
I go to Clapham Junction in London, I have to give up half my afternoon just to get an air mail stamp... there are often more than 50 people in the line! I am doing anything I can to avoid going to a Post Office here - no friends or family have gotten a birthday card from me. Still, 25 mins is too long as well. I go to Warwick or Glengarry post offices, max wait is about 10 mins.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Clapham Junction in London, I have to give up half my afternoon just to get an air mail stamp... there are often more than 50 people in the line! I am doing anything I can to avoid going to a Post Office here - no friends or family have gotten a birthday card from me. Still, 25 mins is too long as well. I go to Warwick or Glengarry post offices, max wait is about 10 mins.
Have you ever considered buying more than one stamp at a time?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you buy in bulk then when you go, easy rectified. I don't see why you feel the need Denver to belittle the UK all the time. Its not perfect, even the people heading back will concede that. Your birth country is not perfect either. I could write a whole page of irritations.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually get them from your local newsagent's or WH Smith.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seems to me, both countries have problems. I'd forgotten about the 'mustn't grumble' thing - a sort of pessimistic "she'll be alright" (!). I think that is used more by the war generation......I think Brits have come to expect more though since the 1990s and recently have come to enjoy a complete 'renaissance' in some sectors since 2000. (Apart from leaves on the lines).
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:15 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Seems to me, both countries have problems. I'd forgotten about the 'mustn't grumble' thing - a sort of pessimistic "she'll be alright" (!). I think that is used more by the war generation......I think Brits have come to expect more though since the 1990s and recently have come to enjoy a complete 'renaissance' in some sectors since 2000. (Apart from leaves on the lines).

I must admit that in the UK the post office was one organisation that I had nothing but contempt for. There always seemed to be so little continuity between any one - From opening hours, to services offered to prices charged etc.

It really did irk me at times that I had an alleged post office 2 minutes walk from my house, but had to go into the city to tax my car because they didn't offer that service there.

And the fact that in Loughborough - a reasonably sized country town - the main post office was closed all weekend. What the hell use is that to anybody?

Grrrr. Rant over.

S

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.