Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:28 pm
Aussie Wannabes

tonynhayley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Hey all,

Still over in UK at present, currently doing TRA so a long way to go but its great finding out about Oz on this forum, reading about peoples experiences.

Started this thread cos I am interested in finding out what the UK has that Oz doesn't......yet.

Keen to find out what products, food, businesses, shops etc people miss out in Oz, be interesting to find out. So far people have said that they miss the cheap clothing and british telly (minority though, LOL), anything else?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:32 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does UK have that Oz doesn't?

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
Hey all,

Still over in UK at present, currently doing TRA so a long way to go but its great finding out about Oz on this forum, reading about peoples experiences.

Started this thread cos I am interested in finding out what the UK has that Oz doesn't......yet.

Keen to find out what products, food, businesses, shops etc people miss out in Oz, be interesting to find out. So far people have said that they miss the cheap clothing and british telly (minority though, LOL), anything else?
Everyone is different and will miss different things. For most of the folk that are unhappy with their lives in Australia it is just not HOME and England is.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

The occasional visit to a proper country pub (max 1 slot machine) complete with traditional garden would be nice.

But it ain't a deal-breaker.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:45 pm
Aussie Wannabes

tonynhayley is an unknown quantity at this point

For most it has to be leaving family behind.

I keep reading so many threads and stories about people who are misrable in Oz and wish they were back in UK, is it mainly because of family or what? I also hear from people that making new friends in Oz can be difficult dispite aussies being friendly (apparantly) which in turn makes them become very isolated making them miss everyone back home. Do many of you brits meet up with other brits or do you make good friendships with aussies?

Tony.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

For most it has to be leaving family behind.

I keep reading so many threads and stories about people who are misrable in Oz and wish they were back in UK, is it mainly because of family or what? I also hear from people that making new friends in Oz can be difficult dispite aussies being friendly (apparantly) which in turn makes them become very isolated making them miss everyone back home. Do many of you brits meet up with other brits or do you make good friendships with aussies?

Tony.
I came here to marry and bring up my (Australian) daughter so that offsets the fact I have left some family and friends in the UK. I also came here with very few preconceptions or expectations of it being a utopia, which also helps. More laid back lifestyle than the UK? True to a point but it can only get so peachy when you have a 2 year old daughter and new wife to consider, plus work and buying houses, etc.

One of the first things I did was to join a cricket team, this has helped enormously with the social life.

I work mostly with Aussies and I think we get on pretty well, a sense of humour helps especially the ability to laugh at yourself (and your cricket team).

I don't feel the need to seek out other Brits.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

unsmoked bacon, cheap chocolate, decent internet connection without shaping. I cant list all the things i dont miss, it would crash the site
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:29 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

My Sister ,and Mum.But they are coming out to visit at Easter.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:39 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Dont find i miss anything never spent much time in pubs too busy working bit every day here i find somethinng new even if its a new type of lizzard ,animal whatever, On the other hand my eldest daughter is missing her social life back home in the city with her freinds but every has a different perspection of life
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:44 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

good chocolate and bisto gravy

lisa
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

When you get to the point of being here more than two years or so you stop comparing what Oz has/hasn't and adapt to the environment. When I first came here I craved Walkers crisps and Salad cream. Now I have my Aussie favourite chips, foods and hardly watch TV anymore.

Now when I go back to the UK for a visit I feel lost. At the supermarket I just stand there and wait and wonder why the checkout chick isn't packing my bags and then suddenly it dawns yeah! you have to pack your own bags here. Oops and apologise to the queue behind me
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:13 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

E14 Australia does not have as many "Becktons"
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:18 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Chavs, cold weather, dreadful beaches and a crap cricket team.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
E14 Australia does not have as many "Becktons"
Back in 1999 I was told to buy there.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frogboy
good chocolate and bisto gravy

lisa
cant find potted dog "beef spread" yes ive tried vegemite
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Hey all,

a good take away( chinkys and indian)they are all shite over hear.
task

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.