Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does super+ mean??

What does super+ mean??

Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

KelvinandVanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does super+ mean??

Can anyone let me know what it means when it mentions Super+ after a salary when i'm looking at plumbing jobs??
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does super+ mean??

Probably it means that whatever salary they have quoted, your supperannuation payments (pension contributions) are on top of that.
As opposed to in UK where they take your NI payments out of your salary, in Australia it is common to quote your salary exclusive of super payments - the employer then puts 9% (usually) of your salary in to a pension fund ('Super Fund') each time you get paid.
So if you're comparing UK to Aus salaries, and it says plus super, add 9% to the aussie one for purposes of comparison. (Beware though, as some salaries will not specify, and it might mean they are quoting it inc super, which makes a big difference - always worth checking.)