Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does it mean to be British?

View Poll Results: Do we agree with the Telegraph's definition of Britishness?
British people's right to say what they think
31.58%
Defiance of Nazi Germany in 1940
21.05%
British people's sense of fair play
36.84%
Britain's landscape
47.37%
Achievements of Britain's scientists and engineers
26.32%
British justice
15.79%
Parlimentary democracy
26.32%
People's politeness and consideration to each other
31.58%
The Royal Navy
5.26%
Having a strong economy
15.79%
Tolerance of other people's ideas
15.79%
Not been invaded since 1066
15.79%
Britain's stocism - ability to "take it"
36.84%
The monarchy
21.05%
Other, please state
21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

What does it mean to be British?

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default What does it mean to be British?

In tribute to the Daily Telegraph's Britishness poll, but with only 15 options, do we agree?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:34 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does it mean to be British?

Aye.

Originally Posted by renth
In tribute to the Daily Telegraph's Britishness poll, but with only 15 options, do we agree?

Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Aye.
wierd, you replied before I completed my poll questions? a bug in the system??
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:42 am
(It's not my real name)

I did an "other":

The BBC and arts/music scene.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The thread always appears before the poll - it posts whilst you write up the choices. I just forgot and started my reply before you were ready - sorry.

wierd, you replied before I completed my poll questions? a bug in the system??
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

Others

"Winning the Falklands war"
"inventing soccer hooliganism"
"persecution of the Irish"
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:50 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the other(s):

Two faced Journalism...
Sporting teams/personality's - and the pressure we put them under (probably media linked again, I guess)
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I agree with pretty much all of the above.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I ticked other lol

as I don't know how anyone can sum up 59 individual million people under what it means to be British banner, and three ( under Britain and not UK), with different cultures. landscapes, histories etc etc .

always Welsh first.
I'm a Welsh republican, British second. As for Royals bomb 'em, they are not true British , bunch of scrounging mongrels

I should have ticked this one though lol "British people's right to say what they think "

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 27th 2005 at 4:04 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:58 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Pete.......all of the above.

Originally Posted by PeteY
I agree with pretty much all of the above.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

What about...
  • Keeping a stiff upper lip
  • Enjoying a pint of warm beer
  • Eating your fish and chips from a newspaper
  • MOTing your Mini
  • Having weather to moan about
  • Lying back and thinking of England
  • Buying a special license to own and watch a TV
  • Knowing that John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman
  • And so is Michael Fish
  • Singing along to Postman Pat
  • Having "a nice cup of tea" to solve all of life's little worries

... to name a few more.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:21 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Did someone mention cup of tea? Would you like a cup of tea, Chris? Ah, go on! Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
What about...
  • Having "a nice cup of tea" to solve all of life's little worries

... to name a few more.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:27 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Did someone mention cup of tea? Would you like a cup of tea, Chris? Ah, go on! Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!
i LOVE that bit in Father Ted, which went as follows

Mrs Doyle > Would like a cake Father?

Father Ted > No thankyou Mrs Doyle.

Mrs Doyle > Ohh go on! They have cocaine in them.

Father Ted > COCAINE?!?!

Mrs Doyle > Ahh no.... I meant raisens.

Maybe you had to be there watching it....but i am sitting here giggling as i type
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:29 am

gedge has disabled reputation

'****!', 'Arse!', 'Knickers!'
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:30 am
A Male Member

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
'****!', 'Arse!', 'Knickers!'
What do you say to a cup Father Jack?

" **** OFF CUP!"

HAahahaha. I love that program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.