Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what does the largest spider measure in Oz?

what does the largest spider measure in Oz?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:34 am
Just Joined

katy marks has a spectacular aura aboutkaty marks has a spectacular aura aboutkaty marks has a spectacular aura about
Cool what does the largest spider measure in Oz?

i have a fear of spiders. I am wanting to get out to australia but i need to know this one thing, what does the largest spider measure in Oz, just so i can prepare myself for them. I know the smaller ones are more harmful but it is not that that scares me. Its the bigger they are. I need honest replies please.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what does the largest spider measure in Oz?

Originally Posted by katy marks
i have a fear of spiders. I am wanting to get out to australia but i need to know this one thing, what does the largest spider measure in Oz, just so i can prepare myself for them. I know the smaller ones are more harmful but it is not that that scares me. Its the bigger they are. I need honest replies please.

Do a search on here for the Huntsman spider!?!?!? Have a bottle of vodka handy :scared:
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

I think you'll find it's a golden orb spider, its probably about the size of your hand and spins it's web to about the size of 2m in diameter. They can bite but very rarely not deadly probs about the same as wasp sting back in uk. They very rarely come out of there web. Latin name is nephler i think fasinating creature and spiders give me the creeps but thats prob because of there unprodictability and there fast but not Nephler she's slow and justs sits there in her web patently waiting for DINNER :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:50 am
Just Joined

jimmyw25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Huntsman spiders are not poisoness though and are relatively harmles they do grow pretty big though. The ones to look out for are the Funnelwebs and Red backs which will both give you a nasty bite!
]
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest spider likes to measure bosoms
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:37 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I think the biggest spider likes to measure bosoms
Yeah and don't forget the famous Perth Penis Measuring spider. The males and females never get the same figures mind .

Seriously though it don't matter what size it is in inches or cms (I have stopped talking about penis measurements now) when you see a huntsman they are firkin huge. You'll swear you can here there feet on the lino . Also some huntsman can jump up to 3ft :scared:

But just sos not to be all doom and gloom (Its black marjory) we have been here 2 years and have seen about 5 huntsman in total
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:41 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Don't mention the spiders.

ps HUP - excellent avatar.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:46 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
ps HUP - excellent avatar.
Do you like them GT?

Last edited by HUP; Sep 11th 2005 at 12:49 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:50 pm

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

LIKE THEM? I think the words 'die' 'hard' and 'fan' sum it up well I gather you have a passing knowledge of them then....?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:53 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

LIKE THEM? I think the words 'die' 'hard' and 'fan' sum it up well I gather you have a passing knowledge of them then....?
Yep GT a bit.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:59 pm

Just so I don't hijack the OPs post - my bro is in WA at the mo, and he says that they don't seem to get so big on this side of Oz, but the largest one he came across was a wolf spider which was about 8 inches in diameter and black and hairy, and apparently they jump. Fantastic. However, he does live right out in the sticks, in a town with a population of him, 3 other blokes and 4 gazillion sheep.

Apparently, in the city it is not so bad, and they don't get as big. I must admit, I have started getting all irrational since I learnt that apparently Huntsmen like to creep up your car engine and crawl out of the vents while you are driving. Words fail me.

Not helped by the fact that it is 'coming in' season over here, so have had several heroic duels of late with the swines. Is it me, or are they getting bigger?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just so I don't hijack the OPs post - my bro is in WA at the mo, and he says that they don't seem to get so big on this side of Oz, but the largest one he came across was a wolf spider which was about 8 inches in diameter and black and hairy, and apparently they jump. Fantastic. However, he does live right out in the sticks, in a town with a population of him, 3 other blokes and 4 gazillion sheep.

Apparently, in the city it is not so bad, and they don't get as big. I must admit, I have started getting all irrational since I learnt that apparently Huntsmen like to creep up your car engine and crawl out of the vents while you are driving. Words fail me.

Not helped by the fact that it is 'coming in' season over here, so have had several heroic duels of late with the swines. Is it me, or are they getting bigger?

Hi GT, just off topic for a sec, I know your fairly new but I see you have same Avatar as Hup.
Its probably best if you choose another, just to stop confusing us old guys.

Thanks.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hi GT, just off topic for a sec, I know your fairly new but I see you have same Avatar as Hup.
Its probably best if you choose another, just to stop confusing us old guys.

Thanks.
Looks like some pagan ritual emblem or something
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:21 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally Posted by Bix
Looks like some pagan ritual emblem or something
Yep it scares away the spiders
Old Sep 11th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

you will never see it! (hopefully)!!!!

i hear a lot of talk about spiders and snakes, etc.....but...to be honest...i have seen maybe 4-5 snakes in my lifetime...2 were dead the other crawled into my tent whilst camping ( wont go there) and the other made its way into the nursing home i was working in. that was interesting..watching the snake catcher, collect it etc.

as for spiders...hmmmm.....i have seen red back spiders but that was only on the North East coast of NSW...never seen a funnel web spider...mainly seen what we call daddy long legs spiders.....however...must say i hadn't been seeing them as much as i used to...probably depends which area of Australia one lives in aswell.
Also..i use essential oils in my home ..(in a oil burner)..am now just wondering if that deters them in some way..will have to go do some research on that now..

good luck...you are not alone..my mother hates them aswell....

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Sep 11th 2005 at 2:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.