Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does a Gyprocker do?

What does a Gyprocker do?

Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

thedavos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does a Gyprocker do?

My husband is applying for a skilled visa and in the UK he is a Dryliner who specializes in Gyprock, but is that the same in Oz. What does a Gyprocker in Oz have to do to fulfill the job requirements?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does a Gyprocker do?

I've always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that Gyprock was another great Aussie invention - by the Colonial Sugar Refinery (CSR) - something to do with finding a use for their by-products from the sugar refining process. I would imagine a 'Gyprocker' would do the same things everywhere Gyprock is used?

http://www.gyprock.com.au/Gyprock/default.asp

OzTennis
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Originally Posted by thedavos
My husband is applying for a skilled visa and in the UK he is a Dryliner who specializes in Gyprock, but is that the same in Oz. What does a Gyprocker in Oz have to do to fulfill the job requirements?
dryliner/taper,the full prosess before paint is applied!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

susanf is an unknown quantity at this point

a gyprocker is the same as a dryliner. we went over last year for a tester and found dry-lining was very different from home my hubby is a dry=liner here in uk he dabs and tacks. Over there the plaster boards are 5m (yes 5m) so theres usually a group of three to do the job. If you need any more info just send us a message. where abouts are you heading ?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Kingswood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dot & Dab
Over the course of 3 years, 4 of my mates have emigrated to OZ and on the TRA skills application its stated as fibrous plasterer(4412-11). To you and me this is a totally different trade to what we do in the UK but over in OZ this is what they class you as, whether your a jointer, artexer, metal stud fixer ect.
Obviously the way they operate is slightly different to ours but thats no bad thing. After 3 visits/reccies I'm off to Perth mid july, the housing there is mainly blockwalls- sand cement render with ceilings being plasterboarded and jointed, commercial/industrial units use far more of our skills.
There have been other post on here to do with our trade but the response is very low, if your a bricky/plumber you get pages. I wish you all the best
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

My hubby is a solid plasterer and he says, that Gyprockers out here are called plasterers and they do exactly the same as in the uk but they don't dot and dab concrete block, they put a metal stud up on the wall and screw to that. Can your hubby do metal stud? Plenty of work here in Qld
hope this helps Rach x
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by susanf
a gyprocker is the same as a dryliner. we went over last year for a tester and found dry-lining was very different from home my hubby is a dry=liner here in uk he dabs and tacks. Over there the plaster boards are 5m (yes 5m) so theres usually a group of three to do the job. If you need any more info just send us a message. where abouts are you heading ?
Perth way hopefully. We have spoken to a consulatant who thinks that even though my husband has all the neccessary skills and a NVQ level in drylining, because he doesn't do the skimmimg part of the fibrous plasterer job description he doesn't think he will pass the skills assessment.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kingswood
Hi dot & Dab
Over the course of 3 years, 4 of my mates have emigrated to OZ and on the TRA skills application its stated as fibrous plasterer(4412-11). To you and me this is a totally different trade to what we do in the UK but over in OZ this is what they class you as, whether your a jointer, artexer, metal stud fixer ect.
Obviously the way they operate is slightly different to ours but thats no bad thing. After 3 visits/reccies I'm off to Perth mid july, the housing there is mainly blockwalls- sand cement render with ceilings being plasterboarded and jointed, commercial/industrial units use far more of our skills.
There have been other post on here to do with our trade but the response is very low, if your a bricky/plumber you get pages. I wish you all the best
My husband does mainly the metal stud fixing and we recently sopke to a consultant who said that although` he has all the nessacry skills and a NVQ level 3 in the trade, becuase he doesn't skim he won't pass the skills assessment. Did you or any of you friends have any problems like that or can yous do all of the fibrous plasterer job?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Kingswood is an unknown quantity at this point

The davos
I have sent you a pm, all the best