Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does everyone else do?

What does everyone else do?

Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:54 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: What does everyone else do?

Originally Posted by rickroar
Hello All,

Can anyone answer this one? What do Aussies and migrants do with the kids before and after school whilst they are still at work? I'm self employed so can drop off the kids at school and pick them up afterwards, but I will have a full time job when we emigrate, we also have the luxury of family to look after them as well, but when we move we will be alone. Our school at the moment runs a before and after school club for families with full time jobs, but we hate farming the kids out so don't currently use the club.
I Know its a odd question but its really playing on my wifes mind
Thanks in advance

Rickroar

ps the kids are aged 6 and 10
I wouldn't worry about it. Of the four schools I've researched in my area, all of them have before and after school care.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What does everyone else do?

Originally Posted by fraser
You're having a laugh right, I could do a labouring job in the uk and earn £15 an hour.
Nice if you can get it. But not everyone does labouring, do they? I do office work, and the highest I've ever been offered is £11 an hour.

Today I earned $21 and next week I wont even bother going as they're now offering $34 a container
I live in Rushall and was asked by an agency to commute to Warwick for an £8-per-hour job.

I just had to laugh. It was either that, or shout obscenities down the phone.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

rickroar is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all the replies you have all been a great help.

Thanks Rickroar
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:13 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Before and after school club run by school.
Also planning second child after arriving so will be getting live in nanny to assist.
Can't drop off myself even being self employed (at work by 7am and not back to just after 6pm)
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Before and after school club run by school.
Also planning second child after arriving so will be getting live in nanny to assist.
Can't drop off myself even being self employed (at work by 7am and not back to just after 6pm)

I dont know of anyone in Australia, that has ever employed a Nanny, I think you will find because of the culture in this country, that they are incredibly difficult to hang on to.

Expect to be paying them 2-3 times what you would pay them in the UK. Reasons being very cheap accomodation here, hence no reason to pick such a difficult/all encompassing lifestyle to support themselves. Plus here we do not have such a large influx of non english speaking young people. If you do get one, after living here for a while, and finding they can get accomodation for as little as 50 dollars per week "shared", They will soon move on.

It could be considered Unaustralian" to employ people in what could be deemed a subserveant role. I would certainly have a 2nd look at people doing this.

Maybe you should consider South Africa instead

Just did a check out of interest....

Expect to be paying at least 750 AUD, for a live in Nanny in Victoria.

To be Honest, I'm very suprised at my reaction to your Nanny proposal, expect similar reactions from other Aussies... It also shows how Aussie I've become in the past 26 years.

http://www.charltonbrownaust.com.au...ge=Hire+a+nanny