Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do your friends think of your decision to go?

What do your friends think of your decision to go?

Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:50 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road
Default What do your friends think of your decision to go?

What do your friends think of your decision to go? What about your work colleagues?

Most of our really good friends are torn between being happy for us and being upset that we are leaving them. A common response is "great - another holiday destination" - I wonder how many WILL actually visit.

A response from less close friends might be "Oh. (pause) What will you be doing with your (insert prized/coveted possession). (!)

From people at work there is a range from outright envy to a distinct cooling off. I suppose the latter is understandable - they ask why you want to leave, you tell them what you don't like about your current place of work and they realise they are stuck with it. I suppose in a way you are also 'rejecting' their way of life.

We are fortunate in having a lot of friends and think we make friends easily, but I do think in the initial months we will find it all a bit strange.
I may have to become an Aussie poster and have you all as 'virtual friends'

Old Jan 17th 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

None of my work colleagues know. I work with a good friend but I have not told her just incase it slips out. I don't want them to worry about me leaving yet

The family that I have told have not been surprised, we are always going on holiday and they all know we hate the weather and lifestyle over here.

People do get envious and my sister-in law wants to go out there as well now! Unfortunately she would not get enough points, she may look for a lout to marry!!
I think you are right about work colleagues thinking you are shunning their life, I am sure I will get that reaction from a few of mine.
You only live once and you have to do this when you can, which is while you can get the points!!

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

I just left my job at Christmas. Only 3 friends know our plans and they wouldn't tell anyone. No one else knows, cus you nevre know if plans fall through and you don't want to burn bridges and so on...

Family know we applied but as it has been quiet for so long we haven't raised the subject again. They know we will tell them when something occurs. We told them we would go after the Christmas just gone, so they knew it was the last together, but noone said anything, which is awkward really. I think there will be a lot of upset when things firm up and we set a date.

Then I'll tell the whole world!
Mash...

Originally posted by tinaj
None of my work colleagues know. I work with a good friend but I have not told her just incase it slips out. I don't want them to worry about me leaving yet

The family that I have told have not been surprised, we are always going on holiday and they all know we hate the weather and lifestyle over here.

People do get envious and my sister-in law wants to go out there as well now! Unfortunately she would not get enough points, she may look for a lout to marry!!
I think you are right about work colleagues thinking you are shunning their life, I am sure I will get that reaction from a few of mine.
You only live once and you have to do this when you can, which is while you can get the points!!

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do your friends think of your decision to go?

Originally posted by magnetman
What do your friends think of your decision to go? What about your work colleagues?

Most of our really good friends are torn between being happy for us and being upset that we are leaving them. A common response is "great - another holiday destination" - I wonder how many WILL actually visit.

A response from less close friends might be "Oh. (pause) What will you be doing with your (insert prized/coveted possession). (!)

From people at work there is a range from outright envy to a distinct cooling off. I suppose the latter is understandable - they ask why you want to leave, you tell them what you don't like about your current place of work and they realise they are stuck with it. I suppose in a way you are also 'rejecting' their way of life.

We are fortunate in having a lot of friends and think we make friends easily, but I do think in the initial months we will find it all a bit strange.

I told one of my really good friends about Adelaide contacting us for the bond money, she was upset and couldn't say alot, so she sent us a congrats text instead, but as we have been waiting along time, it almost seemed unreal for anyone to believe.
Wonder what she will be like when we get the visa!!!!!
c-ya Yve
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:32 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

alot of my friends are happy for me but think i`ll bottle it at the last minute as im going by myself.
my work mates just say `good on ya, theres bugger all here to stay for` as for my family well mixed emotions. grandmother, aunt and cousin are happy, my dad and stepmother seem a bit distant and havent really said much about it.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family are pleased as we have been on about it for 10 years so I think in the back of their mind's they are thinking that it will not happen! and all our friends are sad that we are going and most of them wished they had the bottle to do it, and funny but all our older friend say they wished that they had gone 20 years ago the way this country is going!!
Sue
Old Jan 17th 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

twinkle is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is telling his Mum next week, his brother went to NZ 7 years ago and she never really got over it......... Wish us luck - will let you know!

Twinkle
xx
Old Jan 17th 2003, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

when i told my mum all she said was bloody hell the air fares are going to cut into your inheritance !
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice
Default Re: What do your friends think of your decision to go?

Originally posted by magnetman

Our friends are pleased for us but bombard us with questions it sometimes feels as though they are trying to catch us out with something we haven't thought of - I wish - mind's running ten to the dozen! There has been some cooling off aswell I think.

My husband's parents were told early in the process and have never mentioned it since - they're probably upset - but if they don't discuss it with us they can't ask to come and stay for weeks at a time can they!! Not sure I could live with my 'out laws' for any length of time!

My family are all happy for us - and all want to visit except two of my brothers who are terrified of flying (like me) who I'll never see again unless I come back fairly regularly and judging from the posts on here I'll never be able to afford it!

Do you ever get guilt trips from family such as, "you won't get this in Australia", when there's a special occasion or a happy moment?

Despite all of the above it may seem selfish but we're gonna give it a go and see what happens - if we listened to our (very large) families we'd stay in our pigeon hole and be glad for what we have here. Our forties are not that far away (gulp) and we'll kick ourselves if we don't give it a shot.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

My mates were v positive - most said they would do the same thing if they could ie had enough of the UK, want to try somewhere new etc. A few have even come over to NZ (a close friend stayed for a month but couldn't find work so went home). The vast majority of colleagues were again v supportive - even had a few tears on my last day...others however (interestingly these were the ones that I didnt have much time for!) were distinctly colder "you'll be back within 6 months/it won't work out etc etc"

As for family, mum/dad/sister are pleased for me that I made the move, but there is still sadness that I've gone...we were (and still are) a very close family & even after 2.5yrs I do still miss them. I'd say to everyone on the forum, dont let what people say put you off (especially this forum!!) - I've heard of people who were going to make the move but were persuaded not to which I think is very selfish. The UK is only 24hrs away - what's 24hrs??
Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

My family and his mum are "you are both young go for it" his dad is very upset. But we are young with no children yet they are being planned. My freinds and sister are the same really positive that we are outdoor lifestyle people and would love it there.

I started a new job in Oct and because where I live is so small, the boss found out during him hirning me that I was planning on emmigrating and they still hired me saying if I can do a good job in the time I am there then they would be really pleased to help me in emmigrating as they are a global company.

So I am all out in the open, many people still think we are only pretending to go, we just arrived back from there yesterday and my best freind said so will you be moving over mmmm let me see yes.

Carrianne