Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you knew before you arrived?

What do you wish you knew before you arrived?

Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold
Default What do you wish you knew before you arrived?

Still in shock from looking at the spider thread - OMG !
Anyway - moving onto something more calming for me, lol. We're due to arrive in Perth within the next 6-8wks so I'm now trying to gather as much info as possible - all my nights trawling through this website and my memory has gone (why didn't I bookmark those threads )

Prepare yourself for a bombardment of questions - this being my first one.

So what do you all wish you knew before you arrived? Hit me with it
Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you knew before you arrived?

Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Still in shock from looking at the spider thread - OMG !
Anyway - moving onto something more calming for me, lol. We're due to arrive in Perth within the next 6-8wks so I'm now trying to gather as much info as possible - all my nights trawling through this website and my memory has gone (why didn't I bookmark those threads )

Prepare yourself for a bombardment of questions - this being my first one.

So what do you all wish you knew before you arrived? Hit me with it
That it is so expensive here. Australians in London who moan about how expensive it is there forget to tell you how expensive it is here too. Funny that.

That they drive like pricks here.

That so much of Perth is Colorbond clad Legoland.

That there are so many beggars, homeless, mental, nutters, issues people here.

Apart from that, not much else.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

How cold it is for about 4 or 5 months.
How difficult it is for wives to settle.
How just because a suburb is full of expensive houses doesn't mean it is not inhabited by lots of ferals.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive to have kids here, you pay for everything for them, dental, scripts, school, you name it you pay.

That funding in schools and hospitals is very stretched, research this if your kids need any sort of help/support/medical treatment whatsoever.

Its damn expensive here, food, airfares, electicity, broadband, most things cost more. Not houses you still get more bang for your buck.

Yob/chav/welfare culture by a different name, bogons, battlers, hoons, different name same type of idiots.

Casual workforce and workplace reform.

Constant awareness of avoiding the sun gets you down as much as the UK's drizzle.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

margoo is an unknown quantity at this point

How expensive everything is. Particularly transport, i.e. flights, train, petrol... But also groceries and (worse) furniture. Three years ago I used to live in Perth for a while. So really... what happened in the past three years???

How cold it gets in the winter and how much I'd miss my warm jumpers while doing the couch-potatoe-thingy.

How big the cockroaches are... *yuck*

That my weekends are very different now. I.e. I'd have invested in proper hiking boots

That the program in the cinema is somewhat... dull (I'm in Adelaide)

How little I'd earn

That magpies in spring...!

But also:
How quickly I felt at home
How good it feels to see dolphins when going for a swim after work
Burocracy is pretty straightforward
How much the weather affects my mood... luvin it!!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:15 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

That there are so many beggars, homeless, mental, nutters, issues people here

You get that in any country in the world.

Last edited by Jockstar; Sep 8th 2006 at 9:24 am.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:20 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

That they DO drive on the left handside of the road
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

That you'll spend nearly as much time on here as when you were in the UK, except you are answering the same questions about money transfer/marmite/can I open a bank account/are there really big scary spiders etc etc that you the poster could answer simply by searching on here if they could be arsed. (happy to advise though if anyone needs my words of ???? )

Last edited by ianandhelena; Sep 8th 2006 at 11:19 am. Reason: but i know it's stressful,curses about newbies removed
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by margoo
But also:
How good it feels to see dolphins when going for a swim after work
Geez, how big's your pool????
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:17 am
Just Joined

joanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: What do you wish you knew before you arrived?

How far away everywhere is, and how boring is the scenery between Carnarvan and anywhere!

But when you get there the snorkelling is great, the ocean is warm and it's kinda wow!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joanc
How far away everywhere is, and how boring is the scenery between Carnarvan and anywhere!

But when you get there the snorkelling is great, the ocean is warm and it's kinda wow!!
just read all your replys you want to hope you wont be complaining like that i dont i just get on with it :scared:
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
just read all your replys you want to hope you wont be complaining like that i dont i just get on with it :scared:
what are your thoughts on punctuation?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
what are your thoughts on punctuation?
i wish i had gone to school more but ime pleased i dont live in a place where everyone has two heads
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

How bloody cold it is in winter.

How its not as easy to take off abroad on holiday as it was when you lived in the UK.

Believe me after a while you really will want a holiday.

How bloody cold it is in winter.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wintersgills
i wish i had gone to school more but ime pleased i dont live in a place where everyone has two heads
so am i, that would be scary :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.