Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you wear for work in Cairns? (its an office job)

What do you wear for work in Cairns? (its an office job)

Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default What do you wear for work in Cairns? (its an office job)

Hi. I currently wear suits to the office, but i live in the UK so its permanently cold! but what work clothes do people in Cairns wear?

If the temperature is in the high 20's degrees each day then surely suits are a no no!? or am i just being stupid??
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wear for work in Cairns? (its an office job)

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Hi. I currently wear suits to the office, but i live in the UK so its permanently cold! but what work clothes do people in Cairns wear?

If the temperature is in the high 20's degrees each day then surely suits are a no no!? or am i just being stupid??
Most Qld offices are permanently cold too, due to the air con. You might find the high 20s is conservative estimate for Cairns for much of the year, too.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Even in summer here in Perth I wear something with sleeves. When you go into an air conditioned office from the heat outside it can feel mighty cold. Really it depends on the atmosphere of your office. Last summer the office I worked in was more "relaxed corporate" (skirts & blouses) whereas the place I'm working now is pants & top. On Wednesday it was warm out so I wore a T-shirt and jean capris.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

I could think of loads of things a secretary might or might not wear
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
...the place I'm working now is pants & top.
I'm assuming that's the American meaning of "pants"... or it conjures up a whole different image

Cheers
b
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
I'm assuming that's the American meaning of "pants"... or it conjures up a whole different image

Cheers
b
Dorothy is Canadian
However the Aussies do use the word in the same context - and after 5 years I still can't get the images right in my head when I hear it, bit like thongs....

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 4th 2008 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dorothy is Canadian
However the Aussies do use the word in the same context - and after 5 years I still can't get the images right in my head when I hear it, bit like thongs....
....pass me a rubber please.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

Bwah hah hah! I was talking to an Aussie mate today on the phone and he told us it has been very warm recently and we should arrive next week in "just shirt and pants"!!

I think we'd never make it through immigration!

Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
Bwah hah hah! I was talking to an Aussie mate today on the phone and he told us it has been very warm recently and we should arrive next week in "just shirt and pants"!!

I think we'd never make it through immigration!

We're all so immature! But it is funny!

As a girl ("young adult" - im 26 actually so not that young!), wonder if i would get arrested if turned up at oz airport in shirt and pants! - or whether they'd just stop guys!?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:19 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dorothy is Canadian
Oops... Sorry Dorothy!

Cheers
b
Old Oct 5th 2008, 12:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Oops... Sorry Dorothy!

Cheers
b
That's ok. Nobody needs nor wants to see me in just my pants & a shirt. It's really not a good look.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

The only ones who wear suits in Cairns are usually the sales types up from the deep south, out to impress. They certainly stand out.

Longs with a short sleeved shirt (basically casual) would be fine for most offices.

The first office I worked in, everyone had a jacket over the back of the chair to wear in summer. It wasnt for wearing outside, it was for the air con in summer which was fridge like.

WW
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I wear short sleeved open neck shirt and casual trews.

You could almost run a "Spot the suit" competition cos they are rare.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
I wear short sleeved open neck shirt and casual trews.

You could almost run a "Spot the suit" competition cos they are rare.
Do accountants and solicitors fall into the 'rare' category or do they wear chilled clothes aswel?!! im going as an accountant, can i turn up to work in flipflops and causal trousers?? Thatd be cool if i could! - no more high heals for me!! x
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Do accountants and solicitors fall into the 'rare' category or do they wear chilled clothes aswel?!! im going as an accountant, can i turn up to work in flipflops and causal trousers?? Thatd be cool if i could! - no more high heals for me!! x
Hmmm, flipflops and causal trousers might be more of a Cooktown look for accountants & solicitors than Cairns

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.