Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think will be better?

What do you think will be better?

Old Mar 2nd 2002, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default What do you think will be better?

I am intrigued at the amount of British people desperate to immigrate to Australia. What would be the top 5 things which you think will improve in your life when you immigrate to Austalia?
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

colin.helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you think will be better?

Dotty

It's not necessarily about making everything better.

We are looking for a change, just so that we don't spend the rest of our lives in the south west of England - and Australia seems a desirable place to live.

Top 5 things - Not sure, but the following appeal to us:

Climate

Housing costs (getting so expensive for good property in the UK now). Sure, there is expensive property in Oz, but you do get much more for your money that in the UK.

The opportunity to spend more time outdoors, or take up sports such as scuba diving and surfing - not as much fun in cold wet England!

Our decision to go to Australia is something that we've thought about for around 7 years now. If we don't go now, Im gonna get to old to score enough points. We feel that if we don't go, we might well regret it later in life - so we're going to try it and try very hard to make it a success.

I look forward to hearing other peoples comments.

Colin and Helen
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn-ann is an unknown quantity at this point

We agree with Colin and Helen,
England is cold and wet for at least 6 months of the year. We are lucky to get 6 weeks of sunshine the whole year and the rest of the time it might not be raining but is cloudy. The place is crowed in terms of area per head. The population is over 3 times that of Australia in a area no bigger than NSW. Anywhere you go "belongs" to somebody and you can't do anything without someone complaining. I was walking my dogs on a piece of land with no crops or livestock doing no harm at all and was asked to leave because I didn't have permission.
We don't expect a richer way of life in terms of money. Just a richer way of life in terms of peace, tranquility and space. Our Space.
If you wanted to live in London Suburbs you would pay at least $800.000 for a 3 bedroom, semi with little garden. There are lots of jobs around where we live in the UK paying the equivelent of $10. per hour. Our house in East Anglia 40 miles from London costs the equivelent of $300.000 for a 3 bedroom terraced.
Petrol cost us the equivelent of $75 per week.
I looked at cars on the internet and they are about the same price as the UK, as is TV's and washing machines.
My Uncle and cousins have lived in Australia for 40 years and they wouldn't come back to live.
There is unemployment here also but it is still not easy to find someone reliable and willing to work hard. I believe that if you are just that, hard working, reliable and honest, there will be a job somewhere and I intend to find it.
By the way Dotty if Oz is so bad why do you stay there?
Vaughan and Lynn.
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

For me its difficult to describe what it is that wants me want to emmigrate to Oz.

I guess climate figures quite high in the equation...I just hate the dreary weather in the UK and to be honest get really depressed in the winter. I also enjoy scuba diving but its soooo cold in UK waters....and Australia has some astounding dive sites.

Lifestyle....I dont want to earn shed loads of money...I want enough to live and to do stuff, the lifestyle appeals to me..I hear that in Oz its a pretty laid back environment which appeals to me.

The final reason is a bit weird...just a feeling of wanting more, every since I was a kid I have always wanted to emmigrate, I cant really put my finger on why just a feeling of wanting more. Okay, going to Oz may not be the answer, but I'll be damned if I am going to be one of these people who get old and are full of regrets. Besides if I hate it (which I doubt), I can come back!!!

I have no misconceptions, I know its gonna be a struggle to start with, not all sweetness and light, but hey....as long as I have a roof over my head and food in my belly I shall be fine (and yes I have been in situations for a year or two where that has not always been the case).

WARNING....corny remark coming up...WARNING...

I guess its like a bird learning to fly, it doesnt happen immediatley...it struggles....falls over....probably thinks 'stuff this I will walk everywhere'...but has a desire to get out there and fly.

I plan to be flying....to Oz......(although I am sure my arms will ache!).

Anyway....enough babbling.....got to see whether the ACS have taken the dosh outof my credit card.
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst it's good to read the postive AND negative aspects about emigrating, we are too far down the line now to be changing our minds. If we didn't go, we would end up spending the rest of our lives wondering "what if?" If it doesn't work out for us and we end up coming back to the UK, well at least we will be able to say we tried. We aren't wearing rose-tinted glasses, we appreciate that it will take a bit of getting used to the weather, lifestyle or whatever, but we're going to give it our best shot! And we are going with plenty of cash too, I couldn't imagine doing this without financial security; at least we will be able to survive if hubby doesn't find his ideal job, and with $300k of funds available to purchase our first house, at least we won't have a mortgage to worry about either. I won't go on to tell you how much more we have stashed away as savings, you'll just think I'm boasting! Dotty, you won't have to worry about us being a drain on the Aussie economy, we have never lived off the state, and don't ever intend doing so.

I believe my husband's sought-after expertise in the computer field is a positive benefit that the Aussies ought to be grateful for, if the country is supposed to be so behind in that field. And hey, we also have three intelligent children who learnt to use a computer before they could talk properly. They are all high-achievers at school and hopefully will also turn out to be of benefit to Australia in their chosen field of work.

I agree with the sentiments of the others above. This country is too wet, too crowded, and you can forget any dreams of extending or building your own dream home here, planning permission is a complete nightmare. Time for a change we think, and the time is now!

Some reasons for us going:

Unpredictable, cold, wet weather, which in turn leads to a
non-existent outdoor lifestyle.

Overcrowded towns, car parks that are always full, dingy old delapidated houses that should have been pulled down years ago, run-down council estates, under-funded NHS hospitals and so on.......

Being able to realise our dream of living in a big house with decent driveway, big garden, with bbq that might get some use, pool would be a bonus, and all without being right on top of your neighbours.

Being able to lead a healthier lifestyle, with more opportunities for us all to keep fit outside, go swimming, scuba-dive in WARM water with decent visibility (have you ever tried diving off the British coast - my advice - don't bother). Our eating habits should improve; warmer weather means eating more salad and fresh fruit and drinking more water.

Being nearer to my sister, she's been in WA for ten years now and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. My uncle emigrated yonks ago, came back to the UK for one year, realised his mistake and couldn't wait to get back to Oz again. And, dare I say it, being further away from the in-laws.........

Good luck to all of you who, like us, are brave enough to give it a go, accepting whatever challenges meet us on the way.

Last edited by Jacqui; Mar 2nd 2002 at 3:42 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Well said all of you!!

As an Australian who has lived in the UK for a long time (mum & dad brought me here against my will!!) I have to say I agree with everything being said about the UK.

Don't get me wrong, there are fabulous things in the UK that would be hard to beat anywhere else, for example the british countryside is arguably the most beautiful in the world, but that's down to the awful weather we get that keeps it so wonderfully lush & green. Overall however there is not much left for me here now my husband has agreed we can go back to Australia.

I don't know about elsewhere in the UK but here in West Yorkshire (especially Leeds) violent crimes have risen by 48% since last year. In fact it's getting so bad that the shootings and stabbings hardly merit front page news anymore they are so commonplace. For example, a girl was walking in my area and was approached by two asian boys who asked her for money, when she refused they called her some unrepeatable names AND STABBED HER IN THE FACE AND RAN OFF!!! I dread to think what it will be like in another 15 years when my baby is just about old enough to start drinking. It is a well known fact that young men (18-34) are more likely to be the target of a violent attack than any other age group. That applies now so goodness knows how much worse it will get in the next 15 years. I would like to keep my boy safe and well for as long as humanly possible and by staying in the UK I feel I am not doing the best I can by him.

I realise there are problems in Australia too but consider this: you can fit the UK into Australia about 33 times (I think), we have a population of approx 60 million and Australia has approx 20 million. It doesn't take a genius to work out that less people in a vaster area means that the problems cannot be anywhere near as bad as the UK which means I am giving my son a better chance and start in life by taking him to somewhere he has the chance to grow up in relative safety.

I'm sure you will make a success of living in Australia as you all seem to have thought it through thoroughly. I hope you are all successful in your new lives.

Peace and love to all

sophia xx
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 4:28 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Here, here to all of the above.

How we look at it is ok, it may get extremely hot in Australia, and I am sure we will at times complain about it, we will hopefully have a pool and air conditioning to help. My husband can't wait to get out on the open roads on his classic motorbikes with no rain (well not much) and little traffic and not too many sheep running out in front of him.

We have wanted to go for many years now, especially since we first visited in 1993. Our dream will hopefully be finally realised this year, when we get that visa that is, or early next.

See you all in Oz one day

Susan
Old Mar 2nd 2002, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

JKA_RobinHood is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Housing: Living in a place not surrounded on all 4 sides. I'm not after any mansion here, just a small house and plot of land.

2. The People: Been to Australia 4 times now and the people have been nothing but warm and welcoming. No 'airs and graces' but a friendly set of down to earth people.

3. The Climate: sometimes uncomfortable yes, sometimes unbearably hot and humid yes, but more favourable than Britain.

4. A new start: like many comments before I can't put my finger on it but I have wanted to live in Oz for 10 years now. Only finally plucked up the courage.

5. Healthier Living: Nowhere near the air pollution of Britain, cleaner air and water and many unspoilt beaches.

Yes we can go on all day about the unbearable climate, growing crime, recessions, spiders, sharks, but hell, from looking at the replies so far, people are aware of the negatives but stay POSITIVE. Here, here and good luck to every one of you!
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Really interesting answers so far. This question is not ment to start a slanging match, just a interesting informative discussion.

Couple of points tho, although uk might fit into aussie 33 times, most of that 33 parts in uninhabitable. The majority of the population is centered in cities and coastlines and the majority of people are surrounded by neighbours in suburbia. House prices are still cheaper here but just be careful they are rising very quickly, keep up to date with the many property websites. I think some areas have gone up 50 - 200 % in the last year. Food has also gone crazy, meat especially, was in Uk 6 months ago and couldnt see much diffrence. Petrol cheap but allow for 2 cars and long distances to drive.

Climate is a personal preference, however most of the people we meet who return to the UK are going back as the climate is too harsh for them so it always intrigues me that almost everyone lists that as their main reason for coming here. Everyone has the right to live in it and see if it is for them, I see many discussion on this subject and think why it is so debated is that an Australian summer simply cannot even be imagined untill you have actually lived in it.

I guess to the "why dont you go back to UK question", it would be the same for so many. Once you income and savings equate to a 33-36p exchange rate you probably cant go back. Sad but true.

Keep the discussion going its very interesting. Dot.
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 1:39 am
Just Joined

JKA_RobinHood is an unknown quantity at this point

What would you say are the best/worst 5 things about living in Oz Dotty? It would be really interesting to hear from an Aussie about life there (as you rightly say, we have perceptions of what it is like but you actually live there)
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

The glorious Take Away Diet. Pizzas 5.95 each fish & Chips 6.00 a head, big chickens and chips $10.00 Burgers $3.00. Who cooks at these prices,( I probably shouldnt recommend it as 60% of us aussies are overweight).

Cheap cheap clothing. You really need to cover up for sun protection so its great to see such cheap gear.

The summer storms, terifyingly beautiful, a month of rainfall in minutes, large trees bend double in the wind, the lightning cracks to the ground, Thunder makes the house shake, my most favourite weather.

The wonderfully funny '1950's politically incorrect humour, where else can you call a english person a dirty unwashed pommie and get away with it. Where else can a prime Minister go along with a fake report of refugees throwing their kids overboard and people defend him? The news will have you in stitches, didnt one Prime Minister grab the Queen on the Bum?

The Big Banana, The Big Cow, The Big Prawn, The big Pineapple, what we lack in historic buildings we make up for in Tacky tourist attracions, I guarantee you will die laughing. Dont miss the Fairytale casle with its spoon collection!!!!

Sport, we love to watch it, Its not really much fun to play in the heat but wow do we watch it, sport sport sport washed down with lots of nice cold beer, sorry girls.

The way it gets light at 4.30 am in summer, it guarantees 2 wonderful hours before the heat kicks in, my favourite time of day and the kids have at least 4 hours to get ready for school.

Cane Fires, The popular crop Sugar is harvested in winter, its burnt to the ground, whole fields blaze metres into the air a raging field of orange. Then the black snow, all the flakes of ash flutter to the ground. Beautiful, (sadly tho it may be stopped as it causes asthma and we have the highest rate in the world)

Prawns and Crabs, Fresh seafood, fantastic about $50.00 a head in nice restaurants.

Dame Edna, you do us well, doing the crass with so much humour you get away it still.
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Robinhood did also ask for my "worse 5" too. Should I write them or will I offend?

dOT
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 4:05 am
Chris

"sophia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > I would like to keep my boy safe and well for as long as humanly possible and by
    > staying in the UK I feel I am not doing the best I can by him.

Then I hope you don't go to Sydney.

Chris

Old Mar 3rd 2002, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GO ON THEN THE WORSE 5

The slobby lazy people, honestly I have met folk here who make the show the 'Royale Family" look like class and culture. I know its hard to be motivated in this climate but honestly a shower or a fresh T-shirt wouldn't kill them.

The non workers, Family who are Third Generation on Welfare, the ones who can smoke drink and gambol but cant afford the school books and school lunches.

The High income Tax to support no 2 above.

The crime rates, we have everything nicked, even kids bikes, burgled twice, nutters who cruise schools and try to pick up kids. Vandals who destroy kids parks out of boredom. Syringes on beaches and in parks.

The sue everybody mentality, its like gee I fell over in the park so now I want half a million. Dropped a tin of beans thats 200,000 please. Making everything very expensive because of all this litigation insurance.

The distance from the rest of the world, What I wouldnt give to have a cup of tea with my mum...
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 4:35 am
Chris

"JKA_RobinHood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > What would you say are the best/worst 5 things about living in Oz Dotty? It would
    > be really interesting to hear from an Aussie about life there (as you rightly say,
    > we have perceptions of what it is like but you actually live there)

1. Our beer is cold.

2. House and land sizes and affordability (I'm talking about QLD mostly... I realise
the Southern cities get very pricey).

3. The weather. We get near 300 days of sunshine up here. Last winter was a bit too
dry for the farmers, but near the beach it was great!

4. The beaches (huge stretches of the stuff - easy to find spots with no one around,
though don't go out far if it is an unpatrolled beach)

5. The girls on the Australian edition of "Temptation Island" are much nicer than
the girls on the UK edition!

Chris

>
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.