Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think of Melbourne / Adelaide?

What do you think of Melbourne / Adelaide?

Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:57 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you think of Melbourne / Adelaide?

My wife and I are trying to decide whether to head for Adelaide or Melbourne. Can I have your views on the pros and cons of each please
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:08 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think of Melbourne / Adelaide?

Originally Posted by worzel
My wife and I are trying to decide whether to head for Adelaide or Melbourne. Can I have your views on the pros and cons of each please
Adelaide, 1.5million people, melbourne 3.5million.? Go figure,............... mm
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:23 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

So obviously far more to do in Melbourne.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi

These links may help you or confuse you more, hope they help.

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx and http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:11 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for Melbourne but Adelaide is an awesome city, not that big but it has everything you could want and great countryside around, great wines, Jees great wines? The best wines in the world I mean!!!

I have a friend who works at Hardy's. I get staff shop wine from him at about $4 a bottle (less than two quid) for Nottage Hill and it is top stuff.

There are plenty of jobs here, a great true Mediterranean climate and beaches to die for...

The city is well laid out, it sprawls about a bit bit is a joy to drive or walk around.

Yes it's a bit like Scunthorpe, only different!!!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:24 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
Personally, I don't know Adelaide, but am very happy living in Melbourne!

Check out the Brit Vics site as well - as it has more specific info about life in the Melbourne area:

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

You may get some more 'local' answers from the posters there!

Best of luck,
Anya.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I come from Melbourne and have visited Adelaide quite a few times but not lived there it must be said. I would be quite happy to live in whichever of the two you said I had to! I guess that doesn't help you as you want suggestions on which is preferable or what their pros and cons are.

Melbourne is bigger so it probably has a lot more to offer - jobwise, culturewise, entertainmentwise, sportwise (OK the Power won the flag and Lleyton comes from A), scenicwise (more variable hinterland). Adelaide though is more compact and easier to get around and might have a friendlier, smaller feel about it. Climate wise, generally speaking Adelaide is slightly hotter in summer and not as wet and has less changeability in the weather. It might be co-incidental but each time I was in Adelaide they had dust storms during my stay. Adelaide drinking water is a very acquired taste and it might be why they produce some of the best wines! I definitely wouldn't recommend Chateau Murray River Beaujolais.

But all jokes aside Adelaide is a nice place with Melbourne being just that little bit nicer. It very much comes down to personal preference though and the above isn't meant to be fact but personal opinion (apart from the drinking water, Power winning the flag and Hewitt coming from A).

OzTennis