Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think is better/worse about teaching in Oz vs UK?

What do you think is better/worse about teaching in Oz vs UK?

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Gunner71 will become famous soon enoughGunner71 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What do you think is better/worse about teaching in Oz vs UK?

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Think you are being somewhat harsh. By the way, James Cook has nothing to do with Australia Day. That day celebrates the landing of Arthur Phillip and the First Fleet.
Gibbo - thanks for answering my question - I think this reply was going off at a tangent (to be mathematical )
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said in Victoria contract teachers abound and the cheaper ones i e graduates get taken on by a lot of schools.

To get a permanent position have to do the hard yards in a country isolated school for a few years. My son did that as soon as he graduated and he has been permanent from the off. He teaches maths and science though the golden subjects.

Funnily enough his stint in the outback country made him decide not to return to teach in Melbourne and he now lives in a lovely country town.

Another problem is that people applying for jobs as contract teachers need to be aware that they have to advertise the position even if the school intends on keeping the contract teacher already working there.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Think you are being somewhat harsh. By the way, James Cook has nothing to do with Australia Day. That day celebrates the landing of Arthur Phillip and the First Fleet.
How am I being harsh, when they news reports they are worried that the kids are not being educated as good as other countries etc.

Sorry Australia, is very behind compared to the UK educational system. I hope I am in a financial state where I will be able to afford private education in the future to hopefully give my daughter a better education. not in the "aussie way" teaching surfin when we live no where near a fricking beach
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
How am I being harsh, when they news reports they are worried that the kids are not being educated as good as other countries etc.

Sorry Australia, is very behind compared to the UK educational system. I hope I am in a financial state where I will be able to afford private education in the future to hopefully give my daughter a better education. not in the "aussie way" teaching surfin when we live no where near a fricking beach
I cannot agree with you. I have had a great deal of experience both working in, and having had 4 sons who have gone through, the education system in NSW. I think it is very good. I have also worked in the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora

Sorry but you may have misunderstood my post? By the "Aussie way" I was referring to the students' more relaxed attitudes and work ethic until of course they reach Year 12! I was certainly not referring to the quality of teaching.
As a parent I would much prefer the Australian system over the UK one; a system I found as an Assistant Head dominated by data and targets and syllabi that was far too content driven. And what a great life skill to be taught to surf!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by seansuperhoop
Sorry but you may have misunderstood my post? By the "Aussie way" I was referring to the students' more relaxed attitudes and work ethic until of course they reach Year 12! I was certainly not referring to the quality of teaching.
As a parent I would much prefer the Australian system over the UK one; a system I found as an Assistant Head dominated by data and targets and syllabi that was far too content driven. And what a great life skill to be taught to surf!
I understand your post, to a degree I am in agreement with you regard the politics of schooling etc KPI KPT etc, but it does not fill you with confidence when as stated the federal gov over here are worried the kids are being left behind educational wise, we will all agree it is the childs willingness to be taught as much as it is just the schools job to educate etc.

I am just shocked to the ignorance displayed by Australia and the australian way. in the educational factor, maybe it needs to be more target driving and standards up'd to give all the kids here a better future, as we need all our kids to run this place when they are older and wiser (ok maybe just wiser )
but the system is behind here. and that is the gov stating it
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I am very happy with my children's primary school thus far. We spent some time last year in the uk system and will go back next year for 2 terms. Mine are all on a par with the children there although I had heard on here that coming from the UK parents found their children quite far infront. That hasn't been the case for us though, although maybe that changes in secondary.

My children are in a catholic school.

I like the relaxed approach to learning, and the children seem to be much more involved in school and respectful of it.

I am doing a GDip secondary It and Maths. I have been looking into jobs and it seems to me that in the Birsbane/Coast area of Queensland, Maths teachers do not seem very in demand.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia bottom of English speaking developed countries for literacy and numeracy
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pennines49
Australia bottom of English speaking developed countries for literacy and numeracy
Source?
I was looking at the PISA data a few months back and I don't recall that it supported your assertion.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

The "education system" is an an abstract concept. Personal experiences of schooling or teaching will vary widely, depending on the school. The most important factor, after student demographic, is the managerial style of the principal. If you are teaching in one of those schools where the principal stays in his/her office all day, it probably won't be fun.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I am a teacher and I am happy that my child's school is doing everything it can to further her skills and give her challenges and a positive experience. I also like that they seem to be better at the resilience and social side of things here too....something we struggled with in the UK.

The downside is the provision for SEN if your child doesn't fit neatly into a box.

I will finish by making the comment that literacy standards in the UK have often left a lot to be desired - you will find bad grammar and spelling everywhere..................
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:09 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

Positions available in teaching very much depend on where you want to teach. As others have said, if you are prepared to teach in more rural areas then your skills would be in greater demand. I moved from teaching in a Primary School in Liverpool (head of key stage 2) in the UK to rural NSW over 5 years ago. I started as a casual teacher within two weeks of arriving, getting daily work easily with little travel. Within the first term I had been offered a block of work (at a lovely local country school) to the end of the year. I was offered continued temporary 12 months blocks (covering maternity leave etc) at the same school for the following years, applied for and got a permanent position early in 2011, applied for and got an Assistant Principal's position at the end of 2011. Teachers here work hard to ensure students receive a good education. The difference I have found, especially in rural areas, is that attendance of students can be an issue (thus missing large chunks of school). For example, during lambing season, children are often kept at home to help on the farm rather than sent to school. I love the freedom to actually teach here, compared to being under constant pressure and drowning in the UK. With the introduction of the national curriculum and national standards for teachers, teachers are coming under increasing scrutiny here too (which is good) but still nothing in comparison to the tyranny of the OFSTED inspections (I have been through several and they are soul destroying). If you are prepared to really get involved in school and work hard to show your commitment, the jobs will come. Good luck - I have never looked back and will never go back ))