Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think of this???

What do you think of this???

Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice
Default What do you think of this???

G'day all!!

My other half is out this evening & I need someone else's opinion on this.

We are in the middle of selling all our unwanted possessions on ebay & cars on autotrader, this morning we had an email from someone claiming to being in another country & asking for photos of the inside & engine of one car & his (hubby) full name, address & payment info.

We have done this & now received this msg from him.

What do you think? it sounds abit dodgy to me. Obviously we wouldn't let the car go without the money clearing in our a/c but I still wouldn't like to think anything illegal was going on.

..[Hello andy how are you doing , i am just mailing to confirm that payment will be mailed to you tomorrow 27th(april)and you should get the banker's draft over the weekend,also i have made arrangement for the pick-up and shippment,also i would like you to prepare the log-book and the dvla papers for me so that once the banker's draft has cleared at your bank, then i can have the car shipped from your residence to me directly.I have also discussed with a shipping company over here in Norway to handle the shippment for me they have an agent there in the uk who can carry out all the paperwork for me so please await my banker's draft and also inform all other prospective clients that the car has been sold.I am a legal practitioner by proffesion with my own private chambers here in Norway, and have a client over there in the Uk who owes me money from legal dealings with my chambers which i would like to use to purchase this car.The only constraint is that sum owed me is more than price of your car.Please,could you deduct price of car from sum ?and send the difference to my shipping agent who will be on standby to come and do the pick up on my behalf.The total amount on the banker's draft is £9,000however i would be travelling to Hong-Kong tommorrow but should be back on Monday evening and hopefully by then you should have received my draft,i would like you to send me a confirmation mail upon receipt of the banker's draft so that we can both fix a date for pick-up and all documentations when draft clears
cheers
bank. ]

It all sounds a bit easy, doesn't it ?????????????????????
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:35 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think of this???

Originally Posted by Aussiecat
G'day all!!

We are in the middle of selling all our unwanted possessions on ebay & cars on autotrader, this morning we had an email from someone claiming to being in another country & asking for photos of the inside & engine of one car & his (hubby) full name, address & payment info.

What do you think? it sounds abit dodgy to me. Obviously we wouldn't let the car go without the money clearing in our a/c but I still wouldn't like to think anything illegal was going on.

..[Hello andy how are you doing , i am just mailing to confirm that payment will be mailed to you tomorrow 27th(april)and you should get the banker's draft over the weekend,also i have made arrangement for the pick-up and shippment,also i would like you to prepare the log-book and the dvla papers for me so that once the banker's draft has cleared at your bank, then i can have the car shipped from your residence to me directly.I have also discussed with a shipping company over here in Norway to handle the shippment for me they have an agent there in the uk who can carry out all the paperwork for me so please await my banker's draft and also inform all other prospective clients that the car has been sold.I am a legal practitioner by proffesion with my own private chambers here in Norway, and have a client over there in the Uk who owes me money from legal dealings with my chambers which i would like to use to purchase this car.The only constraint is that sum owed me is more than price of your car.Please,could you deduct price of car from sum ?and send the difference to my shipping agent who will be on standby to come and do the pick up on my behalf.The total amount on the banker's draft is £9,000however i would be travelling to Hong-Kong tommorrow but should be back on Monday evening and hopefully by then you should have received my draft,i would like you to send me a confirmation mail upon receipt of the banker's draft so that we can both fix a date for pick-up and all documentations when draft clears
cheers
bank. ]

DO NOT TAKE A BANKERS DRAUGHT IT'S A SCAM. read up on scams on E-BAY it's a knownscam that the bankers draught will clear intially then get's withdrawn

They take the difference from you also double whammy

Please take my advice dont do it///Please :scared: :scared:

Ask yourself why would they ship a car worth this abroad???
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:36 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Are you seeing pound signs (or Euros) flashing before your eyes?

Anything seemingly too good to be true probably is. I've seen this one before. DON'T DO IT. It's a scam.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:40 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day all!!

cheers
bank. ]

I've heard something like this before it is a scam :scared:
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

G'day all!!

cheers
bank. ]

I saw this scam on TV (I think it maybe Watchdog)! don't do it, the bank draft shows that it has cleared on your account but then you get done big time. If i were you I would involve police here as these people are on the wanted list!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:47 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneS
I saw this scam on TV (I think it maybe Watchdog)! don't do it, the bank draft shows that it has cleared on your account but then you get done big time. If i were you I would involve police here as these people are on the wanted list!!!!
You can and should also report this to e-bay they will deal with them if they can find them....
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:51 pm
Oxygen Pig

TRIMIX will become famous soon enoughTRIMIX will become famous soon enough

I work for the police and this is a well known scam circulating about, I believe the met wants to know about all these scams for investigation. I will do some digging for you I was emailled roughly a year ago to report these crimes.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

The cars are being sold on Autotrader, are they just as interested to hear about scammers? or should we go the police?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:52 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

The cars are being sold on Autotrader, are they just as interested to hear about scammers? or should we go the police?
I'd be surprised if the police were interested to be honest. Try NCIS.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:53 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Even a normal cheque can bounce at anytime.

i.e. The cheque is posted to the bank and can get lost on the way. Your bank will think its cleared but if its delayed for any reason it can bounce days,weeks, or months etc later .

Its must be specialy presented to be sure.
Cold hard cash is best in my book .
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

For those of you who have read this & for those about to sell a car or two like us. If you put it on Autotrader, don't submit your email address. We have now had 4 scammers. They are really taking the P*** 2 from the same bloke
They all use yahoo addresses which when you reply, jam the pc, involving a brain better than mine to unlock it

'Hey, be careful out there'

Last edited by Aussiecat; Apr 28th 2005 at 6:54 pm. Reason: incorrect character used