British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What Do You Sleep On While Waiting For Your Stuff To Arrive ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-sleep-while-waiting-your-stuff-arrive-253552/)

Fiona&malc Sep 8th 2004 7:30 pm

What Do You Sleep On While Waiting For Your Stuff To Arrive ?

Can anyone suggest what to do for the first few weeks until your belongings arrive ? We;ve decided to go with Crown (as theyve had a good reputation) but ours will be a shared container so the delivery time will be approx 10-14 weeks max !!! Has anyone else had the same experience? am i going to have to buy air beds etc to sleep us and the kids on ? :confused:

Bordy Sep 8th 2004 7:39 pm

Re: What Do You Sleep On While Waiting For Your Stuff To Arrive ?

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Can anyone suggest what to do for the first few weeks until your belongings arrive ? We;ve decided to go with Crown (as theyve had a good reputation) but ours will be a shared container so the delivery time will be approx 10-14 weeks max !!! Has anyone else had the same experience? am i going to have to buy air beds etc to sleep us and the kids on ? :confused:

Yeah we bought air mattreses. They were fine for first few weeks but boy did I enjoy my bed when it arrived. :)

PHIZA Sep 8th 2004 7:50 pm

What we are doing is, we are leaving our matresses over here (cos we are due new ones anyway). We can sleep on the old ones on the floor in the UK for a couple of nights,(my kind brother-in-law is going to take them to the tip after we have gone). :)
When we arrive in Perth we will buy new Matresses and sleep on them on the floor till the beds arrive. ;)

Obviously if you have fairly new matresses this would be no good!! :(

Pollyana Sep 8th 2004 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by PHIZA
What we are doing is, we are leaving our matresses over here (cos we are due new ones anyway). We can sleep on the old ones on the floor in the UK for a couple of nights,(my kind brother-in-law is going to take them to the tip after we have gone). :)
When we arrive in Perth we will buy new Matresses and sleep on them on the floor till the beds arrive. ;)

Obviously if you have fairly new matresses this would be no good!! :(

Good idea, but measure the beds!!!!! Aussie beds are different sizes - eg Aussie double is UK Queen!

Barron Sep 8th 2004 10:05 pm

we camped in our rental,sleeping bags ,sun chairs,picnic sets we all coped somehow,friends of ours are still camping.

regards Sally

cresta57 Sep 8th 2004 10:17 pm

Airbeds are a cheap option cost approx $30 from the cheapy cheapy shops like Crazy Clarkes. Silly Sollies, The Warehouse etc. [that's for a queensize]
Places like Super A Mart sell really cheap beds $99 for a double with a foam mattress. If your lucky you might make one last for 14 weeks they look a little flimsy to me.

CasG Sep 8th 2004 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57
Airbeds are a cheap option cost approx $30 from the cheapy cheapy shops like Crazy Clarkes. Silly Sollies, The Warehouse etc. [that's for a queensize]
Places like Super A Mart sell really cheap beds $99 for a double with a foam mattress. If your lucky you might make one last for 14 weeks they look a little flimsy to me.

Flatten boxes that you used to transport rubbish to tip in - put them in suitcase, set them up when you get to Oz - ready made home.....

anya4oz Sep 8th 2004 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Flatten boxes that you used to transport rubbish to tip in - put them in suitcase, set them up when you get to Oz - ready made home.....

'There were three of us livin' in paper bag in t' middle of Princes Highway....' ;)

Anya.

MrsMangle Sep 8th 2004 11:42 pm

Hi
We actually brought a sofa bed out here - its now sitting in the spare room for when visitors stay! Wish we had thought to measure some of our furniture before we left - I remember looking round some really small rooms when we were after accommodation out here & thinking that our stuff would never fit!!!
MM

vickeyvixen Sep 9th 2004 12:56 am

Hi

We did the same as phiza, we left all our mattressess back in the UK and bought new out here, very resonable compared to the uk and really comfy it's just odd going sleeping that close to the floor !!

Vickeyvixen

scrawni Sep 9th 2004 1:46 am

We are on airbed at the moment, it is like a tidal wave when hubbie moves!

We also brought a patio set which we will need anyway, for use inside the house at the mo to sit on. We also have some camping stuff that came with the car we brought.

Had to buy cheap saucepan set etc. Managed to lend a fridge but no freezer.

It is a pain in the arse but we are coping, just!

Only 2-4 more weeks to go before our stuff arrives.

Mandy

MrsMangle Sep 9th 2004 1:50 am

Just a thought - if you're not as tight as me - there are places that rent furniture too - no idea what the minimum period/ cost is - but something to think about

jayr Sep 9th 2004 2:24 am

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Just a thought - if you're not as tight as me - there are places that rent furniture too - no idea what the minimum period/ cost is - but something to think about

Some place like Pabs: http://www.pabs.com.au/ should rent from as little as one week. I rented beds off them for about a year, then bought them off Pabs for the same as two months payment.

Sandra Sep 9th 2004 5:46 am

Dead serious tip - make friends with the people on this site and if there is anyone near where you are going ask to borrow the stuff they used when they camped out.

For those interested - I have some extra stuff for new arrivals in Sydney, if you want to borrow?

Cheers

chocaholic Sep 9th 2004 11:12 am

We bought a new queen size bed for the spare room at Megamarkt in Auburn - which we slept on til the container arrived. We said we'd only buy it if they could deliver the next day. Apart from that, we borrowed a lot of stuff. Our living room and dining room contained the garden furniture that we bought in Oz plus two borrowed bean bags. Very stylish.