British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you sleep with (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-sleep-305911/)

karenjc May 30th 2005 4:45 pm

What do you sleep with

Not that crude really, just wondering if you sleep under blankets or duvet ;) . You see we have just brought a couple of duvets of 7.5 tog and wondering are they going to be to hot or to cold. I know that you can always add more blankets or take them off. Were heading for the gold coast.

moneypenny20 May 30th 2005 4:53 pm

Re: What do you sleep with

Originally Posted by karenjc
Not that crude really, just wondering if you sleep under blankets or duvet ;) . You see we have just brought a couple of duvets of 7.5 tog and wondering are they going to be to hot or to cold. I know that you can always add more blankets or take them off. Were heading for the gold coast.

You'll want them in the winter, but might be overkill in the summer :D Apparently it's not so much that it gets very cold, but that the houses are built with little insulation or heating so it feels cold, if that makes sense.

Merlot May 30th 2005 5:25 pm

A snoring radiator! :D

We had duvets (doona's) and blankets if we were chilled. For the first few years I did use an electric blanket (in Sydney) as the houses are not designed for chilly weather. Moved on to wheat bags and hot water bottles after that (yes I know, so glam).

M :)

blossom May 30th 2005 5:48 pm

Sheet and lightweight bedspread in summer and duvet in winter. Thats here and in Oz.

Blossom

logan May 30th 2005 11:08 pm

OOhhhhhh! I was hoping for a naughty thread!! Only kidding, we have been sleeping with a 7.5 tog I think, and just had a friend staying who was more than happy with her 15 tog!!! We're in a rented townhouse in Brissy and although the weather's fantastic right now, the nights are cool and when you go up to bed it's damn cold....till you snuggle under the duvet!! Summer's a definate sheet though!! Guess it depends on the old air con or not.

I brought jackets, boots, etc with me and I'm pleased as I am acclimatising to the cool weather at night very quickly! :D

JackTheLad May 30th 2005 11:18 pm

Hot water bottle!! Absolute essential here.

Either that or be enviromentally unfriendly and run your reverse cycle aircon to heat the place.

I go for the hot water bottles all the time. Mrs JTL has this weird idea of putting on more clothes to warm up, but we are in QLD, how can I wear more than a T-Shirt and shorts? :D

JTL

ABCDiamond May 31st 2005 12:04 am

We have a winter weight Duvet for Winter, started using that this week :)

A lighter weight one for Summer, and just a sheet for those few weeks that it does get really hot. But more often than not in summer, we'll use the air con with the summer duvet.

How my daughter would answer the original question I do not know !! She must have about 20-30 soft cudly toys in her bed with her, taking up half the bed !! :D

JackTheLad May 31st 2005 12:46 am

I sleep with a goose down duvet all year round - summer with the fan/aircon on, and winter with a hot water bottle.

The only exception is when the inlaws/outlaws/parents are visiting, they get the goose down duvet and I end up with the woollen duvet or just a bedsheet.

Oops, did I say "I"?! I meant "we"... :D

Mrs JTL

*Warning* When you use a hot water bottle in bed, have on at lease a t-shirt and a pair of shorts or you'll burn your belly or butt. Not speaking from personal experience of course... ;)

spalen May 31st 2005 7:43 am

Re: What do you sleep with?

2 Huntsman, a redback, and fifteen geckos

JackTheLad May 31st 2005 7:52 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Re: What do you sleep with?

2 Huntsman, a redback, and fifteen geckos

Gotta have a word with Mrs Spalen when I meet her on the weekend! :D

Mrs JTL

TopCat3 Jun 1st 2005 3:27 pm

Two cats. :zzz:

markeh Jun 1st 2005 9:55 pm

Duvet that is too warm because the wife is always cold!

I do like nice clean crisp sheets and the weight of a blanket or two. :)
Oh and no one to share it with :p

Mark
(Feeling more single every day)

Geordie George Jun 1st 2005 10:30 pm

Hi Karen,

Not long left, eh?! That time will fly, despite it seemingly dragging. How are your plans coming on?

In Sydney, it's freezing. I'm off to Myers this afternoon to buy an electric blanket. But I'm nesh (according to Mr GG). :o So I'm also going to be upping the duvet to the 10.5 tog one. Patrick will be pleased! :D

GG

Paul2004 Jun 1st 2005 10:39 pm

WOW! ..... that's a lot of Quilts, Blankets, Hot Water Bottles, & Electric Blankets!

Are you sure you lot are in Oz and not Iceland ?? ...lol, altho seriously I thought it was gonna be a sheet in Summer, and throw on a blanket in Winter!

You mean that Water Bottle and 13.5 tog Quilt comes too!! ...... :eek:

soapy© Jun 1st 2005 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I sleep with a goose down duvet all year round - summer with the fan/aircon on, and winter with a hot water bottle.

The only exception is when the inlaws/outlaws/parents are visiting, they get the goose down duvet and I end up with the woollen duvet or just a bedsheet.

Oops, did I say "I"?! I meant "we"...

Mrs JTL

*Warning* When you use a hot water bottle in bed, have on at lease a t-shirt and a pair of shorts or you'll burn your belly or butt. Not speaking from personal experience of course... ;)

i hate they hot water bottles. just like u said it attacks u in the night. mrs soapy is to blame. i love the cold weather...oops meant cooler ;)

i must also point out that i also sleep with a cat, but if i touched it while she was sleeping. i would be dead :D