Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you not like about living in OZ

What do you not like about living in OZ

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Wol - there's no point in comparing Holland to NSW CountryLink.....me old china. The train is a different commodity in Straya.

I see where you are coming from, and would also add - come for that which you know you can get, solve or address, and get on your own terms - which I admit might take a lot of luck.
Very true.

But again: Mrs Wol went up to t'smoke (Sydney) last month. First train had hardened vomit on one door, blood smears down the other side (plus the usual filth). Second one had a girl overdosed on the floor screaming all the way.

You ain't seen nuffing until you've experienced the NSW train system. But you can't blame the operators really when there are so many ferals destroying the trains 24/7: it's part of life in the area.

(Just responding to the thread title, not whingeing.)
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Very true.

But again: Mrs Wol went up to t'smoke (Sydney) last month. First train had hardened vomit on one door, blood smears down the other side (plus the usual filth). Second one had a girl overdosed on the floor screaming all the way.

You ain't seen nuffing until you've experienced the NSW train system. But you can't blame the operators really when there are so many ferals destroying the trains 24/7: it's part of life in the area.

(Just responding to the thread title, not whingeing.)
Just wanted to add that it might have declined. I used to travel down south from the NSW Central Coast to Sydney and it was a pleasure. I'm a big fan of the double deckers. (Right old spotter eh!)

But it's not really the country train if that makes sense...I do remember going to Dubbo in a more northerly direction 8 years ago and it was OK - just country folk.

Melbourne's suburban trains are just like the ones in London perhaps 5 years ago -to look at. And they are a bore just because they're that - suburban.
Demographics - nothing more.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the trains in both Melbourne & Sydney are like mobile dustbins...far more so than those in London ever were. Other than that I can't knock the service in Sydney though...virtually no need to check schedules for about 17-18 hours a day as there is always a train soon and generally on time (just my experience City <> Chatswood).

Brisbane on the other hand had clean trains but miss one...and wait half an hour for the next.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I reckon the trains in both Melbourne & Sydney are like mobile dustbins...far more so than those in London ever were. Other than that I can't knock the service in Sydney though...virtually no need to check schedules for about 17-18 hours a day as there is always a train soon and generally on time (just my experience City <> Chatswood).

Brisbane on the other hand had clean trains but miss one...and wait half an hour for the next.
I rate the trains in Sydney more so than Melbourne. I would not consider any of them mobile dustbins and considering there are no bins [on Melbourne trains], it's a miracle they are not worse. And yes, they are fairly frequent. During rushhour they are very 20mins or so, in one tight spot c. 5pm every 5-10mins. Better than London for the same 'journey' [my journey].
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

But, Heh! Australia's the best country in the world - every other checkout lady tells me that so it must be true...

Originally Posted by bcworld
I

That's so ture. When the trains are on time they are great, but if they cancel one (all too frequent) or you miss one
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:07 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I dont like all sections of the society, right from school going girl to a professional, using the F* word. They do it everywhere in buses, trains, workplaces and religious places.

I am certain it offends all the asian people where this word is considered as a taboo and consequences of public usage are 'severe'.
oh for f$%ks sake. Get a grip
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:52 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

The only thing I dont like living in Oz is the distance we are from family and friends in the UK. When you are having a bad day you cant just pop around or pick up the phone (cos they are usually in bed!) but other than that I love it here.

Jo
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy with my train line in Brisbane so far. Even if one is cancelled usually only a 10-20 minute gap between them. Probably different out in the burbs.

Examples times in morning peak:

7:03 am
7:13 am
7:21 am
7:26 am
7:31 am
7:38 am
7:50 am
7:55 am
8:05 am
8:07 am

Edit: Oops...just realised the thread I posted this on....not happy with the above times...could be better
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Happy with my train line in Brisbane so far. Even if one is cancelled usually only a 10-20 minute gap between them. Probably different out in the burbs.

Examples times in morning peak:

7:03 am
7:13 am
7:21 am
7:26 am
7:31 am
7:38 am
7:50 am
7:55 am
8:05 am
8:07 am

Edit: Oops...just realised the thread I posted this on....not happy with the above times...could be better
Depends where exc you are and what line you're on. Windsor is usually 30 minutes between trains, except in peak times, yet we are very close to the city.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
We know they are not poor but i just cant hold them in the same regard as people whom own property in proper money? After al its like a game of monopoly over here.
That's one of my big hates about the place - the obsession (bordering on the pathological) - with "investment" in property. It's not healthy.

Of course it's aided and abetted by the government, and it's one of the major reasons for the ridiculous price of housing. Even if ministers had the brains to see this, none of them has the balls to change the tax breaks.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wol
That's one of my big hates about the place - the obsession (bordering on the pathological) - with "investment" in property. It's not healthy.

Of course it's aided and abetted by the government, and it's one of the major reasons for the ridiculous price of housing. Even if ministers had the brains to see this, none of them has the balls to change the tax breaks.
There's a girl at work suckered in by this. Aged 22, well paid job, hasn't had time to build up credit card debts etc, and she already has two "investment properties". Listening to me talking about the UK she now has wanderlust and wants to do the working holiday visa stuff - but she can't she's trapped by having these properties which aren't bringing in enough money so she has to keep working. She asked how so many Brits manage to do working holidays etc when they are a lot older than her, and was stunned to hear that a lot of Brits don't bother buying, and certainly haven't got the investment property obsession that there is over here. I think its really sad, 22 and she is trapped by huge mortgages already.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There's a girl at work suckered in by this. Aged 22, well paid job, hasn't had time to build up credit card debts etc, and she already has two "investment properties". Listening to me talking about the UK she now has wanderlust and wants to do the working holiday visa stuff - but she can't she's trapped by having these properties which aren't bringing in enough money so she has to keep working. She asked how so many Brits manage to do working holidays etc when they are a lot older than her, and was stunned to hear that a lot of Brits don't bother buying, and certainly haven't got the investment property obsession that there is over here. I think its really sad, 22 and she is trapped by huge mortgages already.
Just imagine huge morgages at 22, potentially bankrupt at 25. Greed can be dangerous.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:59 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by mark wool
Just imagine huge morgages at 22, potentially bankrupt at 25. Greed can be dangerous.
I know, its scary. yet she really believes she is doing the right thing because thats what the AUssies around her have told her to do, buy property as soon as she can.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats waiting half an hour for a bus in 35 degree heat. Right laugh a minute.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know, its scary. yet she really believes she is doing the right thing because thats what the AUssies around her have told her to do, buy property as soon as she can.
I have never met people so obsessed with trying to make money as the ozzies. They just do not believe house prices can go down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.