Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you not like about living in OZ

What do you not like about living in OZ

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:09 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Aren't you going to ask;

Wouldn't a realistic picture be better than just a rose-tinted one?

like you did in the 'What you love about living in Australia'?
meeooow!!! Love it!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Funny isnt it.... I dont notice this lack of customer service thing, or even the bad driving, maybe you get used to it, once your into the 3rd decade.

Still my main dislike and I've gone on about it before, is the brown grass/dust, fly ridden, blow furnace winds of summer, which seem to be slightly worse on this side of Melbourne.

Ironic part is, I've asked my Aussie Wife if she dislikes it, and she says "It just means it's summer" consequently she likes it.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent, well balanced, series of posts.

Bloody Hell folks, you make the place sound like Llandudno on a Bank Holiday weekend.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

I will keep it short. OZ.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merv63
priceless!!!!! you are right about the rascism most definately, i have never come accross such a group of people who hate the english so much or infact anyone who is not even closely an aussie!!! i think that they seem to forget that most of them decent from our rejects!!!

as for checking your bags as you come out of the shops that annoys the hell out of me. speaking of which our english friend went for a medical for a job the other day and had to have someone stand with him whilst he peed in the pot for the urine sample as apparently alot of people have one 'they made earlier' in thier pockets!!! oh what an honest nation we live in. and alot of empolyers here in wa check the urine of the staff on almost a daily basis for drugs and alcohol as it is so bad over here apparently.

the saying its beer o clock also irritates me and the fact you see them all on a friday afternoon driving in thier utes with thier dogs and thier fluro shirts with thier stubby (or should i say bottle of piss) and we are only just picking up the kids from school and these idiots are half cut and on the roads.

maybe that explains the number of crosses you see on the roads it has always puzzled me how come there are soooo many accidents on the straight roads????
These are the things you hate about Australia and you chose to live in Bunbury? As much as I love my country cousins, at a recent family reunion in South Western Australia, my kids kept asking why everyone spoke with such a funny accent, why they dressed the way they did and where their teeth had gone. I've said it often on this forum - some of you people that hate Australia so much don't need to move back to the UK, but move to a nice suburb with normal people, good schools, okay shopping and not an obese commodore driving bogan in sight.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mark wool
I will keep it short. OZ.
I like it
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Zimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the rough

Having lived on the Gold Coast for just over a year now I can honestly say there are far more positives than negatives about living here. I could write dozens of things that are fantastic about Oz but keeping to the relevance of this discussion....Although I had visited Oz a number of times before moving here permanently I really did not appreciate how expensive it is - rates and taxes, utilities, groceries, car reg, flights etc. are all more expensive than in the UK. They have found very imaginative and mind boggling ways to tax you here. Nearly everything is more expensive, except for petrol. Health care (Medicare) is definitely not free! Most people will need to take out private health insurance.

I have not encountered any racism here, most people are friendly and it is a very multicultural society. Like everywhere in the world there are all kinds of people here, the good, the bad and the ugly. I have found customer service to be better than the UK overall and as for the driving, it is very similar to many European countries and by no means "dreadful" - compared to Africa and the UAE it is very civilized indeed!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:09 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance and racism is absolutely rife here....
I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"

What can you say when the so called educated professional thinks that this is funny?

News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants and nobody seems to believe in Global warming, or that this will affect them....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Gold Coast would be one of the most tolerant places in Australia because virtually everybody is from somewhere else, whether from abroad or elsewhere in Australia. You would have to be going some not to be accepted here or find a niche for yourself.

Went to Lismore one Saturday and the town was basically shut, I can imagine small town Australia being pretty grim for any length of time.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alipally
News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants....
Though on the plus side pants are usually shorts.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Though on the plus side pants are usually shorts.
'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"

This story could be about any Ozzies really!

They all love their thongs!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney

This story could be about any Ozzies really!

They all love their thongs!!
Yeah, but most of us pee in the back yard, not the sink.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"

What can you say when the so called educated professional thinks that this is funny?

News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants and nobody seems to believe in Global warming, or that this will affect them....
That's disgusting, you should report them...at least tell us where here is?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
Read my bit if you're on 457...and then add JAD's comments too...

JAD, brilliant sum up
So how does this whole 457 thing work then!?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Global warming? And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.