Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you miss?

Wikiposts

What do you miss?

Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sleeping in, what is the point of daylight at 4.15 in summer, how the hell can you sleep off a good night out when its light in the middle of the bloody night. Dark curtains dont work by the way unless you are deaf, birds here squark like no other, if throwing shoes at Kookaburras was a crime I would get life.

Dressing up, who decided taking away our girly fun was a good idea, I want to wear and buy girly stuff, NOW please.

Shower Gel, why is this normal product overseas abnormally priced at $6.00 for 200ml, whats in it, liquid botox or somethng.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Dotty - what does your average Aussie use in the shower then?
Maybe I should start up a shower gel and bubble bath company!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by debsy
Dotty - what does your average Aussie use in the shower then?
Maybe I should start up a shower gel and bubble bath company!!
Just those old fashioned bars of soap, you know the ones that go all soggy, scum up the shower etc, lovely

For toilet paper we cut up old newspapers thread a bit of string through, only joking on that one.

Bathroom stuff seems really x$ I mean lush charge $7 for one bath bomb, seems a bit rich to me. Those little colgate toothpastes are $4.00 here, 2 electric toothbrush heads $17.00 seems expensive thats all.

Last edited by dotty; Sep 28th 2003 at 7:11 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:12 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

try radox aloe vera shower gel ..$2.69 for 500ml.Makes your skin really soft but you didn't her that from me cause I'm a bloke
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:35 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

I miss:
my mates,
family,
marmite until I found it, it's call MY MATE!
Proper sized crisp packets
Slack traffic police!! lol
Bisto granules (got the bisto powder sorted now though)
Being able to go & watch world superbikes & motogp (oz is closest now!)
NEC bike show! & bike TV

However
we now have:
warmer winters, more open spaces, more twisty roads, cheaper supermarket beer! a great job!, I can bike race on the cheap! new friends! an excuse to fly to Melbourne (WSB & MotoGP)
A whole new country to discover!

Life's good! cheers!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:01 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

When we were in Sydney I missed lots of things, but most of all -

People with a sense of humour (and who can laugh at themselves), family, old friends, quality of colleagues at work, trips to France, autumn country walks, cosy homes.

Now we have been back in England for 5 months I miss about Sydney -

Visiting vinyards (Hunter Valley), high quality meals out within my budget, fish, our balcony with views of Sydney harbour.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:17 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I haven't gone yet, and though I'm really excited about going....I know for sure what I'm gonna miss:

My 2 kids, but I'm looking forward to having them come and stay for a few weeks next summer.

Saturday is Footie day, going to the match having a few beers before and after the game.with me next summer for a few weeks.

Sky sports.

Seeing pictures of Jordan and Jodie Marsh going after each other half naked on the front page of the Sun.

........but for every downer, theres an upper......
Old Sep 29th 2003, 1:40 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I miss ....

Family
Friends
Large variety of foods in supermarkets
Cheaper, but better quality clothing
Central heating
Decent wages
Part time employment
Not being bored
Eastenders
Decent tv
and lots lots lots lots more
Old Sep 29th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Mumsie
Friends
British Comedy and soap land

Not much else really and out of the above I miss no 3 most (God how sad is that!!!)

Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

living in a country where people don't feel so insecure that they have to endlessly tell foreigners how flipping great it is here
Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by megawho
living in a country where people don't feel so insecure that they have to endlessly tell foreigners how flipping great it is here
I DON'T miss living in a country where if you keep going on about how great it is or flying the union jack outside your house will cause people to call you a racist.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by janeyray
I miss ....

Family
Friends
Large variety of foods in supermarkets
Cheaper, but better quality clothing
Central heating
Decent wages
Part time employment
Not being bored
Eastenders
Decent tv
and lots lots lots lots more
Jane try this: www.walfordweb.co.uk
He's back.......(Dirty Den I mean)
You can catch up with all the latest stories.
Debs
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:27 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PADDAD
I miss my pals!

...long summer evenings, bisto gravy granules, real marmite, M&S, cheaper charges on mobile calls, rain and grey clouds (all this sun is doing my head in!), advanced banking - banking procedures seem a bit more medievil here, various telephone functions i.e. call waiting etc.

but most of all I miss my friends!!!

HOWEVER.. I love living here! We've bought a house which in the U.K. would be beyond our wildest dreams and the people are fab!

Not that I eat it, but they've got imported Marmite in a chocolate shop in the Myer Centre in the CBD, just near the food court (they also have Blackpool rock and Yorkshire Tea but little else)
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

they definately have wagon wheels, and they are bigger than the uk ones....yummy. I've only seen then in dispenser machines, but will check next time I'm in coles.

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
walkers crisps, frazzles, french fries, jaffa cakes, wagon wheels, jelly babies, white mice, ready brek, shreddies, mushy peas and soggy chips which you eat 30 seconds after you walk into the shop (as opposed to 20 minutes coz you have to sit and wait for them to cook them, how do you call that a takeaway!!!), the scottish hills, soccer, Big Breakfast (is it still on with Jonny wotsisname), country pubs, being able to fly to loads of different countries cheaply and quickly, central heating (never been as cold as I've been here in NZ - simply because of no central heating), leisure centres (fairly new concept in NZ if you live outside the big centres), cold christmas', and I could think of more.

But mostly my family, they are visiting us at the moment with my neice and nephew along with a suitcase full of the first items on my list. YUM.

nice winters, cheaper bigger houses, and people not being so image concious are things that I like here. Bit of an unbalanced list isn't it.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:55 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

But was it still worth making all these sacrifices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.