Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you miss?

Wikiposts

What do you miss?

Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hey! i am in NZ and i can get real marmite in my local Woolworths supermarket... its not sold everyhwere but i always get it there...maybe give them a ring in Brisbane..they might stock it.
Ta for that podgypossum I shall give it a go and if the Woolworths here don't stock it then I'll challenge them to!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 1:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tastes are so weird aren't they? Here am I, still in the UK, and celebrating when I found I could get Vegemite in Sainsburys! Don't like Marmite!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 3:34 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I really miss mushy peas and half rice half chips, but then I have lost two stone since I've been here
Old Sep 27th 2003, 5:24 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Bisto gravy granules. The Daily mail and the News of the world on a Sunday. Not knowing what is happening to the Beckhams and not reading about Jordan. Am I shallow?

Gill
No Bisto, what am I going to do! they must have something similar?????

Suz
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

walkers crisps, frazzles, french fries, jaffa cakes, wagon wheels, jelly babies, white mice, ready brek, shreddies, mushy peas and soggy chips which you eat 30 seconds after you walk into the shop (as opposed to 20 minutes coz you have to sit and wait for them to cook them, how do you call that a takeaway!!!), the scottish hills, soccer, Big Breakfast (is it still on with Jonny wotsisname), country pubs, being able to fly to loads of different countries cheaply and quickly, central heating (never been as cold as I've been here in NZ - simply because of no central heating), leisure centres (fairly new concept in NZ if you live outside the big centres), cold christmas', and I could think of more.

But mostly my family, they are visiting us at the moment with my neice and nephew along with a suitcase full of the first items on my list. YUM.

nice winters, cheaper bigger houses, and people not being so image concious are things that I like here. Bit of an unbalanced list isn't it.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you miss?

PB. Nothing like a good argument to spice things up.

oh, you were referring to life in OZ/NZ ok then I miss the architecture/churches/cathedrals/culture of the UK. Along with pubs & walkers crisps of course

russ
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, but reading super glossy Hello & OK, is just not the same as having a daily paper in your hand, telling you of the scandalous goings on at some London night club {usually the Ivy} the night before. As for accessing gossip off the internet, again it's that tactile thing, you need the paper in your hands to truely appreciate the shallowness or voyeurism of it all.

Sorry, nothing to "exactally" replicate bisto gravy granules, you can buy little packet gravy mixes in a variey of flavours {make a paste, add hot water microwave or on the stove stuff...not the instant that WE know and adore} and even Bisto gravy mix {in a box}, BUT it's just not the same.

Oh yes another thing, why is bubble bath so expensive? Radox ?Now that is dear in NZ, stock up before you come out.

Gill
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:58 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't get call waiting in Brisbane?? Are you sure??

You need to get yourself to NZ

Originally posted by PADDAD
I miss my pals!

...long summer evenings, bisto gravy granules, real marmite, M&S, cheaper charges on mobile calls, rain and grey clouds (all this sun is doing my head in!), advanced banking - banking procedures seem a bit more medievil here, various telephone functions i.e. call waiting etc.

but most of all I miss my friends!!!

HOWEVER.. I love living here! We've bought a house which in the U.K. would be beyond our wildest dreams and the people are fab!

Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by PADDAD
I miss my pals!

...long summer evenings, bisto gravy granules, real marmite, M&S, cheaper charges on mobile calls, rain and grey clouds (all this sun is doing my head in!), advanced banking - banking procedures seem a bit more medievil here, various telephone functions i.e. call waiting etc.

but most of all I miss my friends!!!

HOWEVER.. I love living here! We've bought a house which in the U.K. would be beyond our wildest dreams and the people are fab!

Call waiting *43#

then Recall 2 to get the call

Call return (who was the missed call)

*10#

Should be others too in the front of the phone book

See your comment on the weather, how was Saturdays lovely spring 37 degrees out your way, we were in the City and phew it was evil.

Cant help with banks, dont know why they dont just stick a shotgun in our heads. Check your statements here, they 'lost' $22,000 of mine 2 months ago and its still not sorted.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Jeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura about

Has to be the music scene for me, if your into Dance music, you wont get much of it on the Sunshine Coast. Brisbane has its fair share, but not in the same league as UK/Europe.

Friday and Saturday night Radio One
Dance parties
Decent club clobber
Long light evenings

The list could go on as well as a longer list of what I do not miss!!

Jerry
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:49 am
Badge

well my take on music and other aspects of "culture" is that I'm not going to spend the rest of my life acting cool in a club so I'm sure i'll do without the music..

much more to life!

Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think I missed anything at all untill I read about Paul Merton's wife dying on the BBC web site. Then I realised how much I used to enjoy Have I Got News for You.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You're not missing much - it hasn't been the same since they sacked Angus Deayton. same with "They Think it's all over...." new series with new captains and it just doesn't work - which I'm quite glad about cos now I won't be pining for it!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
You're not missing much - it hasn't been the same since they sacked Angus Deayton. same with "They Think it's all over...." new series with new captains and it just doesn't work - which I'm quite glad about cos now I won't be pining for it!
So, who is the chair?

I remember when Merton left they had various stand ins, none of which were as good as him.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:52 pm
Goodpubmisser

Thumbs up

My Username shows what I miss the most. I also miss my friends with whom I mainly went to the pub.

In England I suppose pubs are so good because there is not much else to do especially in winter. I live in Sydney and most of the activities revolve around outdoor ones.

I am on crutches at the moment and I find that Sydney is really boring. It makes me wonder if I really want to retire here as Sydney lacks activities for the old, i.e art galleries, good lunchtime pubs, parks etc etc. (I know that have a few of these but not many in easy reach).

I am also miss the lack of racism against me that I had in the South of England. I know that the Chinese, Aborgenies etc have it much worse than me but I find it to be a pain. Funny really as I went to University in the North of England and I found that they were as racist against Southerners and students as some of the white Australians are against the English.

I miss English middle class sincerity. I find that the Australians are an insincere lot who lie as a matter of course. I remember when I migrated here getting different answers from different people to the same simple question at the department of emigration. Also Doctors offering me back dated sick notes - a thing that I would not expect in England at all.

As an Engineer I miss the lack of advanced world standard technology - Australian engineering is around 8 years behind English.

I find that Australia is behind England in many things - one day disposable contact lenses came out here 3 years
after they appeared in the UK; train doors in Sydney still do not have automatic safety systems and can often be found stuck open; permeanent speed caneras on roads have only recently been introduced.

I find the Australian education system is not good and many Australian Engineers that I work with lack knowledge of basic principals, eg an MEng in Mechanical Engineering does not know that you cannot apply Ohm's law to capacitors.

I miss the lack of State Governements. These Governements are in desperate need of being abolished - I have lived in Melbourne and Sydney and have seen some of the associated pettiness, eg Nurses have to relearn drug classifications that vary from state to state; a Freddie Kruger film banned in Quensland can be hired from a video shop in NSW; a Dental Nurse trained in England is recognised in NSW but not Queensland; doing U turns at traffic lights in Melbourne is generally OK but not in Sydney.

If you have read all this then good for you!!!

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Sep 28th 2003 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.