Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you miss?

What do you miss?

Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:23 pm
Gold Coast

rachandjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you miss?

Question for all those of you who have made the big move. What, if anything , do you miss about England?

and what have you found to be the biggest change to English life and Australian life? (apart from the weather!)
Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you miss?

Originally posted by rachandjon
Question for all those of you who have made the big move. What, if anything , do you miss about England?

and what have you found to be the biggest change to English life and Australian life? (apart from the weather!)
When i was over there for 8 months.

The thing i missed most (apart from family etc), were lanes.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:32 pm
Badge

In the heat of summer I missed wearing decent clothes eg trousers.

I missed the UK in so far as sentimental memories - but you get that everywhere. I haved worked in many different locations and always think back to old times anyhow..

badge

Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thing I miss most is chilling out in a nice bath on a Sunday with the News of the World, also miss trashy tabloids during the week.

Also decent milk and chocolate.

Thats about it really.

As for biggest change, people make eye contact more.

The grass may be greener on the other side but it still needs cutting.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss beer, pubs and comedy. Having more space and affordable rent has helped a lot.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Bisto gravy granules. The Daily mail and the News of the world on a Sunday. Not knowing what is happening to the Beckhams and not reading about Jordan. Am I shallow?

Gill
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Bisto gravy granules. The Daily mail and the News of the world on a Sunday. Not knowing what is happening to the Beckhams and not reading about Jordan. Am I shallow?

Gill

Walkers crisps
Old Sep 27th 2003, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Gill

Can't you get hold of O.K and Hello out there? They must sell them somewhere!

I am sure you must be able to look up trashy news on the web somehow!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 1:55 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Gill
Yep fraid so
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

what i will miss more than anything in this world is simply my dad

arlene
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:43 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

quality newspapers
holidays and travel
humour
family and friends
choice in all things
supermarkets
quality and variety of leisure facilities
free health care
low taxes !!!

the biggest wake up for me was just how limited life in oz was compared to uk and how quickly it became boring after we had seen all the interesting bits after just a few short years.

having said all that glad we did it.

Old Sep 27th 2003, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Radio

Newspapers

M&S teabags
Old Sep 27th 2003, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Zebra4
Radio

Newspapers

M&S teabags
You can get newspapers and Radio on line. Do a google search.

Tea bags I cant help with.
I only dirink coffee.

Tony C
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I miss my pals!

...long summer evenings, bisto gravy granules, real marmite, M&S, cheaper charges on mobile calls, rain and grey clouds (all this sun is doing my head in!), advanced banking - banking procedures seem a bit more medievil here, various telephone functions i.e. call waiting etc.

but most of all I miss my friends!!!

HOWEVER.. I love living here! We've bought a house which in the U.K. would be beyond our wildest dreams and the people are fab!

Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by PADDAD
I miss my pals!

...long summer evenings, bisto gravy granules, real marmite, M&S, cheaper charges on mobile calls, rain and grey clouds (all this sun is doing my head in!), advanced banking - banking procedures seem a bit more medievil here, various telephone functions i.e. call waiting etc.

but most of all I miss my friends!!!

HOWEVER.. I love living here! We've bought a house which in the U.K. would be beyond our wildest dreams and the people are fab!

Hey! i am in NZ and i can get real marmite in my local Woolworths supermarket... its not sold everyhwere but i always get it there...maybe give them a ring in Brisbane..they might stock it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.