Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think about the Wanneroo area?

What do you guys think about the Wanneroo area?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default What do you guys think about the Wanneroo area?

Looks nice and seems to have everything. and only 15 miles from the city centre.

anyone living or been to Wanneroo? whats the bad and good things about it?

Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:17 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you guys think about the Wanneroo area?

One of the oldest parts of WA. The main senior school used to have a very bad reputation, police doing spot checks at the school for drugs, etc.

They have just improved the local shops so now a lot of kids hang out there of an evening. Nice little Thai restaurant, though. Very busy main road used as alternative to freeway and for access to the industrial area at Wangara.

Definitely would not be on my list of places to move to.

Steve.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
One of the oldest parts of WA. The main senior school used to have a very bad reputation, police doing spot checks at the school for drugs, etc.

They have just improved the local shops so now a lot of kids hang out there of an evening. Nice little Thai restaurant, though. Very busy main road used as alternative to freeway and for access to the industrial area at Wangara.

Definitely would not be on my list of places to move to.

Steve.
thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

what would be on your list of places to move to?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

what would be on your list of places to move to?
Wanneroo centre is as described above, however the City of Wanneroo encompasses a massive area. We're building in Butler, which is another 15 or so km north of Wanneroo centre but still within the city of Wanneroo.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Well, that all comes down to personal choice so don't take my word for any of this. It also depends on what you need around you. Every suburb has schools, parks and local shops, and, unless you move completely inland a bit, everywhere is still fairly close to a beach.

The main factor is your budget, followed by whether you don't mind travelling a little bit extra to work or not, and I d mean a little bit. Don't be out off by people's tales of traffic jams. Unless you work in the city, people's idea of a traffic jam over here it that the traffic is only moving at 50kph not 80kph. I laughed when I first came here and someone complained about the traffic. I thought, 'This guy has no idea what a traffic jam is!'

If your looking at the northern suburbs, I would look at Yanchep, Two Rocks, Quinns Rock or Hillary's. The first two are still quite new, so to speak, with new stages still being released so there still a chance to get a nice block of land.

If you're on a lower budget, then Butler, Alkimos, Jindalee and Merriwa are all still quite new.

There is a bit less of a choice in the southern suburbs but Yangebup and the areas around Mandurah are fine but Mandurah is a long way from Perth.

If you don't mind living inland a bit, you have larger blocks (5-10 acres) for the same price as a 5-600 Sqm block elsewhere and can be lovely. I would look at Muchea, Chittering, Gidgegannup and Brigadoon.

Either way to need to come over for a holiday and have a look around, visit the real estate sites and have a browse, come over and rent for a while and have a good look around.

Hope it all goes well,

Steve.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:05 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Dorothy is right. When people mention Wanneroo, they normally mean the suburb of Wanneroo. The Shire of Wanneroo, though, has many suburbs all the way up to Yanchep.

This link might help; http://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/2/608/...roo_suburbs.pm

Steve
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the helpful replies guys.

I found this need little tool on Google: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...16474084449601

street view. you just type in google maps the street you want and then you click on street view. don't know how new this is but I heard latest images have been around like 5 months. its new to me though.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:19 pm
I Know What's Going On!

I found this need little tool on Google: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...16474084449601

street view. you just type in google maps the street you want and then you click on street view. don't know how new this is but I heard latest images have been around like 5 months. its new to me though.
It is fairly new, and quite popular over here. Cool tool, eh?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

It is fairly new, and quite popular over here. Cool tool, eh?
it's incredible! almost like being there.

surfing through Torquay now.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those images are years old. If you take a look at where I live the house I've been in for nearly 2 years is still a slab.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:53 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Hi Dorothy,

We're talking about 'Street View' not just Google Earth. Everywhere I've seen in Street View is very new. You have to zoom in very close, then you see camera icons along the street. Click on a camera and you are on the pavement in a proper 360 degree photo.

On google Earth, my house is only half finished. Zoom in to Street View, and we're all moved in and the cars are on the drive. Complete different pictures.

Steve.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Some of those images are years old. If you take a look at where I live the house I've been in for nearly 2 years is still a slab.
it must have taken them years to map it all. I guess they used one of those virtual tour cameras and attached it to a vehicle and just drove through the streets. I guess if they had enough of these vehicles they could update regularly. good job though.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

yeah type in street name in Google maps and then when the box comes up click on "street view".

now I need some addresses.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:45 am
Still alive

Hi Dorothy,

We're talking about 'Street View' not just Google Earth. Everywhere I've seen in Street View is very new. You have to zoom in very close, then you see camera icons along the street. Click on a camera and you are on the pavement in a proper 360 degree photo.

On google Earth, my house is only half finished. Zoom in to Street View, and we're all moved in and the cars are on the drive. Complete different pictures.

Steve.
Even the street view is well over a year old. If you look at Northernbird's house you will see 2 cars in the driveway which belong to me and another poster here. We haven't been at her house at the same time since before Christmas 2007.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Even the street view is well over a year old. If you look at Northernbird's house you will see 2 cars in the driveway which belong to me and another poster here. We haven't been at her house at the same time since before Christmas 2007.
Why, have you had a falling out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.