Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you get up to in your spare time

What do you get up to in your spare time

Old May 27th 2003, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you get up to in your spare time

Daft question I know but what do people get up to in their free time in Oz - apart from the obvious (clean ideas only please - this is an open forum) and apart from Barbies, Beaches, Drinking, Eating and other family type things. Anyone join things to do with the great outdoors and conservation or any intellectually stimulating activities. My Oz family are big barbie lovers to the almost total exclusion of all else and whilst I enjoy a prawn and a stubbie as much as the next I am interested as to other pursuits in SA and beyond. How easy is it to join clubs etc - like what it is over in UK.

Elaine
Old May 28th 2003, 12:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Google: Adelaide Hobbies Clubs Associations
Old May 28th 2003, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here (Brisbane) for 5 months and I've not been to a single BBQ. I don't know why the moaners on here are so obsessed with them. I mean, nobody forces you !

Clubs are everywhere especially if you are into sport, keep fit, yoga etc. That's what I like about this place. Everywhere you go you see people enjoying sport.

I spend my spare time surfing, swimming, walking, running, diving etc. There are just so many unspoilt places to go. Beautiful weather (not today in Brisbane though !), beautiful views, empty roads.

The cinema is also fantastic here. There are loads of them and they are big, clean (apart from the Dendy Twin), comfortable and ........ EMPTY !!! Went to the cinema in the Valley last night and less than 5% of the seats were taken. The only drawback is having to wait several months for new releases (Whalerider excepted) to get here.

The only entertainment I miss is football and good TV.
Old May 28th 2003, 10:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you get up to in your spare time

Originally posted by grubelice
Daft question I know but what do people get up to in their free time in Oz - apart from the obvious (clean ideas only please - this is an open forum) and apart from Barbies, Beaches, Drinking, Eating and other family type things. Anyone join things to do with the great outdoors and conservation or any intellectually stimulating activities. My Oz family are big barbie lovers to the almost total exclusion of all else and whilst I enjoy a prawn and a stubbie as much as the next I am interested as to other pursuits in SA and beyond. How easy is it to join clubs etc - like what it is over in UK.

Elaine
winery tours , just drive around the Barossa ,mc'claren vale,clare valley ,eden valley, padthayway,coonawarra, limestone coast,,sampling the wine ,that should take care of 6mths,,,,,,,,join a wine club you will not want for friends oz or world wide............mm
Old May 28th 2003, 11:57 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I had lots when i was over there.

My favorites....all accompanied by my better half....

Fishing - lots of it too....its great in oz. Just make sure u pack lots of sunblock.

Snorkling. Again, very very good. Depends largely where you are. If u are in Adelaide, head for Port Noarlunga, its fantastic. There is a jetty out to a rock reef and you can snorkle up and down each side of it. Most areas around the south coase (robe to mount gambier) can be very good, but the further u get from adelaide the colder the water. Down in mount gambier you really need a wettie even in high summer.

Wineries...as MM said, are excellent. My favorite was Maclaren Vale (cos i like Hardys )

Camping. Flinders ranges are amazing. The end. The Grampians in Victoria are also worth checking out (about 4 hours from Adelaide).

Four wheel driving. Very good again ! Flinders has some good tracks, driving along the coorong is great, and the small national park between Carpenter rocks and Southport is good too, but the name escapes me at the moment.

You will find a fair few clubs of various types....try your local library when u get out there.

Cheers

Pete.