Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you do when your 5 year old says...

What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:56 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Yesterday very innocently my 5 year old daughter said to my husband (who was suffering from a major hangover!!)

"Daddy do you do sexing with Mummy" he nearly choked and averted the question by asking her if she wanted a drink!!

Later on in the day she asked me the same question, I stumbled through a fob off answer.

We were both extreamly shocked for her to say something like that, she is very bright for her age, but I found out that it has come from her best friend who has older brothers and sisters. Although very innocently she did go into a detail of what she thought sexing was, not quite right but got the correct names for the bits involved, if you know what I mean and also said that the man and the woman has to go up and down 3 times!!

What would you do or say?? I thought I would go and get an About your Body book, but my mum said she to young.

Has this ever happened to you??

:scared: :scared: Help needed by very shocked parents!! :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Originally Posted by toon williams
Yesterday very innocently my 5 year old daughter said to my husband (who was suffering from a major hangover!!)

"Daddy do you do sexing with Mummy" he nearly choked and averted the question by asking her if she wanted a drink!!

Later on in the day she asked me the same question, I stumbled through a fob off answer.

We were both extreamly shocked for her to say something like that, she is very bright for her age, but I found out that it has come from her best friend who has older brothers and sisters. Although very innocently she did go into a detail of what she thought sexing was, not quite right but got the correct names for the bits involved, if you know what I mean and also said that the man and the woman has to go up and down 3 times!!

What would you do or say?? I thought I would go and get an About your Body book, but my mum said she to young.

When this happened with my son at about the same age, I started going into a very detailed anatomical explanation and, within 2 minutes, his eyes had completely glazed over and it was clear he wasn't listening (Nothing new there then!)
It was a good couple of years before the subject cme up again!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:04 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Nicstids
When this happened with my son at about the same age, I started going into a very detailed anatomical explanation and, within 2 minutes, his eyes had completely glazed over and it was clear he wasn't listening (Nothing new there then!)
It was a good couple of years before the subject cme up again!
bloody hell I'm in my early 30s and I've only just been able to name all the bits involved...indeed, I've even put it all into practise and will soon be the proud father of a sprog very like yours.

cheers

badge

Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:09 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
bloody hell I'm in my early 30s and I've only just been able to name all the bits involved...indeed, I've even put it all into practise and will soon be the proud father of a sprog very like yours.

cheers

badge

Congratulations!!!

My Tip to you is to study the entire Encyclopedia Britanica Collection (think it is about 30 odd books) that will give you some help in answering the endless questions your little one will ask as soon as it starts to talk!!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:13 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

and also said that the man and the woman has to go up and down 3 times!!

3 times ????? Should it normally last that long.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:15 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy

Only if your really really lucky!!!!!

Sam (Alan + Girls)
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:19 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Do what you and your partner think is right, she's not your Mums child. It will pass, we always try to tell our child the truth, (even if its a bit uncomfortable) better to be truthful than bamboozle them with a pile of hogwash and old wives tales.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:24 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Ooh - sorry, but thanks for the chuckle... I am a childminder whose 2 2-year old charges are both starting to try and potty-train, and so I'm stuck watching for a change in their expressions and surrounded by potties... so very much in need of a smile!!!

Seriously, although 5 sounds young, at Primary Schools the sex education starts from Reception and some of the schemes used introduce all the anatomical names from the start... never forget my friend's face when she collected her son from school and he asked her how her clitoris was!!!!!

Anyway, I am a great believer in taking a deep breath, and with a calm, almost nonchalant expression, answer the question asked... provide no extra detail but "yes, that is something that adults who love each other do sometimes".... and then distract them with something interesting... Hopefully they will take their lead from you and decide the "interesting" thing is better than the preceeding question which seemed to bore you, and move on.....

I remember my neice asking at aged 3, laughing hysterically at the answer, and then forgetting all about it.... and thereafter being much less silly about things than many children who learn about it later!

If all else fails, there are some good books designed for young children and these may help answer questions and, when you decisively SHUT the book, give the cue to move on to something else....

Good luck - and thanks again for the chuckle!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm sorry whats sexing???
Heck is that what caused them

I have always said that if they are old enough to ask then they are old enough to know the truth. I never visualised this at 5 mind. Luckily I have 3 girls 9, 7 and 5 and the question has never been asked. We have always bred rabbits though so I guess that has explained everything. I would probably check out the local library. They have tons of books designed for kids of this age.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

on a similar note.......

I was talking to a friend tonight who had been given a father's day card by his 11 year old daughter. She had written him a sweet poem, but missed a vital 's' off.......it went something like

Dad dad you're so cool
You are always in the garage playing with your tool

He said he nearly choked trying not to laugh!!!

That'll be 1 to save for her wedding day

Rudi
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

never forget my friend's face when she collected her son from school and he asked her how her clitoris was!!!!!

couple of glasses of wine and that's hysterical!!!!! Shecha....can't wait till you get asked a similar question by H!!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:30 am
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

hi there

you buy a book called "mummy laid an egg" its really funny if you dont mind talking about these things

we read it to our 5 year old whose is now seven, and we intend to read it to our 2 year old in a couple or 3 years

steve
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:22 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes... Our dd is 7 and she started asking questions a long time ago. We have always tried to answer her questions as honestly as we could and at a level that we felt she could understand. It's always been my philosophy, rightly or wrongly, that if sex was demystified at a young age, and if people were less hung-up about talking to their kids about it, then youngsters wouldn't be quite so fascinated by it and inclined to try it before they're really ready to do so, emotionally or physically. Just my opinion and I'll let you know if it works in about eight years' time....or thereabouts!

Our dd has an incredibly fertile imagination (thankfully the only part of her that is fertile at present!) and she's currently *pregnant*. She's going to have her baby when she gets to Perth, but that's because she needs the *girl sperm* to join with the *boy sperm* she has in her right now, and the *girl sperm* is apparently in our shipped freight. (Logically translated as all her baby dolls are in the shipping!) We will undoubtedly have a *birth* when we get there...

Back to subject - there is another good book around that our dd has had for a couple of years now - Where Willy Went - gives a good basic idea of how babies are made at a level they can understand from about 4 onwards.

My advice to you would be to not sidestep the issue because they are good at pestering if you do, and just keep it at a level she can understand. I'm a believer in keeping sex education at home - I'm not sure teachers do the best job of it.

Good luck! Ah, this parenting lark is fun, fun, fun. There's never a *right* or *wrong* answer to these dilemmas - only what's right or wrong for you.

Sue
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

AngnPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL The things kids say!!
I think that the fact your daughter asked your husband and then yourself shows that she is looking for a certain amount of information/confirmation. You are the best judge of what she will understand and how much you want her to know. The best thing is to answer at her level. She doesn't need a full on biology lesson!! It doesn't get any easier - on a recent trip our 9 year old asked dad what condoms are for??!! He was satisfied to discover that they help prevent diseases, that being the only info he was given.
Out of the mouths of babes :scared:

Angie
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:52 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AngnPaul
LOL The things kids say!!
I think that the fact your daughter asked your husband and then yourself shows that she is looking for a certain amount of information/confirmation. You are the best judge of what she will understand and how much you want her to know. The best thing is to answer at her level. She doesn't need a full on biology lesson!! It doesn't get any easier - on a recent trip our 9 year old asked dad what condoms are for??!! He was satisfied to discover that they help prevent diseases, that being the only info he was given.
Out of the mouths of babes :scared:

Angie
We had that one on a visit to the ladies' loo and dd noticing the vending machine containing condoms. I said, "well, you know your book "Where Willy Went...?" - heck, it's fun at times, isn't it? And have you noticed that they don't miss a single trick? You cannot put *anything* past them!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.