Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you do when your 5 year old says...

What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:01 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do when your 5 year old says...

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Yes... Our dd is 7 and she started asking questions a long time ago. We have always tried to answer her questions as honestly as we could and at a level that we felt she could understand. It's always been my philosophy, rightly or wrongly, that if sex was demystified at a young age, and if people were less hung-up about talking to their kids about it, then youngsters wouldn't be quite so fascinated by it and inclined to try it before they're really ready to do so, emotionally or physically. Just my opinion and I'll let you know if it works in about eight years' time....or thereabouts!

Our dd has an incredibly fertile imagination (thankfully the only part of her that is fertile at present!) and she's currently *pregnant*. She's going to have her baby when she gets to Perth, but that's because she needs the *girl sperm* to join with the *boy sperm* she has in her right now, and the *girl sperm* is apparently in our shipped freight. (Logically translated as all her baby dolls are in the shipping!) We will undoubtedly have a *birth* when we get there...

Back to subject - there is another good book around that our dd has had for a couple of years now - Where Willy Went - gives a good basic idea of how babies are made at a level they can understand from about 4 onwards.

My advice to you would be to not sidestep the issue because they are good at pestering if you do, and just keep it at a level she can understand. I'm a believer in keeping sex education at home - I'm not sure teachers do the best job of it.

Good luck! Ah, this parenting lark is fun, fun, fun. There's never a *right* or *wrong* answer to these dilemmas - only what's right or wrong for you.

Sue
I have heard of those books, will take a trip to the bookshop tomorrow I think!! Hopefully will help explain things to her if she asks again!!

I love the fact that your daughter is pregnant, how funny!! It is so hard to keep a straight face isnt it, another of my daughters lines was a couple of weeks ago when she said to me "I am only having 2 kids, having anymore is far to stressful and anyway I want to have a car with no roof, I can only get two in the back of that!!!" not sure where she got all that from as we dont know anyone with a cabriolet!!??

Still they drive you mad one minute and make you laugh the next!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

AngnPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Still they drive you mad one minute and make you laugh the next!![/QUOTE]

Our middle son planned his future life for a school project. We were very interested to read that he plans to have 3 sons also "to help me and my wife lift heavy things and help us decorate" Oh good, this must be what he sees himself doing for us!

Angie
Old Sep 5th 2005, 4:54 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha reading all this made me laugh because today when i asked my 80 year old grampy if he wanted a drink? my little girl (almost 6) asked him if he would like a sex on the beach? Thank god his hearing aid was on low!

Last edited by lor; Sep 5th 2005 at 4:57 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:53 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by logan
never forget my friend's face when she collected her son from school and he asked her how her clitoris was!!!!!

couple of glasses of wine and that's hysterical!!!!! Shecha....can't wait till you get asked a similar question by H!!!

Oh no, I'm dreading 'those' questions!!!!

H has already asked me if I'm sad coz I don't have a winky like him & daddy!!!

Guess I've got loads more awkward questions to come

Shell
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:06 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor
Ha Ha reading all this made me laugh because today when i asked my 80 year old grampy if he wanted a drink? my little girl (almost 6) asked him if he would like a sex on the beach? Thank god his hearing aid was on low!

Ha ha ha bless her!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:12 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I find with my four year olds that it's easiest to claim to be as baffled as they are and pass any dodgy questions onto my other half.

Paul.