British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you do with all your books? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-do-all-your-books-402719/)

karmagirls Oct 17th 2006 3:24 pm

What do you do with all your books?

Hi,
I believe I've written something similar to this previously, but wondered if anyone who has recently been in the process of clearing out for the big move to Australia has found any good second hand book shops?
We have hundreds and hundreds of books to get rid of and wouldn't mind making a few quid on some of them. Does anyone know of a fast and easy way of doing this or is it down the old eBay route? At the moment, this is a last resort as it is so time consuming to put on single books when you have so many. Also, we are happy to take some into the charity shops to get rid of them, but there's a few that should be worth something.
Anyone know of anywhere in Glasgow or online that could do this?
Thanks
Tracy

Pollyana Oct 17th 2006 3:38 pm

Re: What do you do with all your books?

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hi,
I believe I've written something similar to this previously, but wondered if anyone who has recently been in the process of clearing out for the big move to Australia has found any good second hand book shops?
We have hundreds and hundreds of books to get rid of and wouldn't mind making a few quid on some of them. Does anyone know of a fast and easy way of doing this or is it down the old eBay route? At the moment, this is a last resort as it is so time consuming to put on single books when you have so many. Also, we are happy to take some into the charity shops to get rid of them, but there's a few that should be worth something.
Thanks
Tracy

just a personal observation, but if you have the room to ship them,bring them! With the well documented price of books here (see previous trheads) you will make more selling them on ebay here, if you don't want to keep them.

TheHallidays Oct 17th 2006 3:38 pm

Hi,
Thanks
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Try www.greenmetropolis.com - it's ace!

Cheers,

Jane xx

ohippy Oct 17th 2006 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
just a personal observation, but if you have the room to ship them,bring them! With the well documented price of books here (see previous trheads) you will make more selling them on ebay here, if you don't want to keep them.

I can second that - you'd make a fortune out here with the price of books !

stardust Oct 17th 2006 4:04 pm

I got rid of a load of mine when I was having one of my ruthless clearing out days. Gave them to charity shop - wish I hadn't now though

Marcopolo Oct 17th 2006 4:50 pm

Why are books so exspensive in Oz then? :confused:

Marc.

toon williams Oct 17th 2006 7:34 pm

Sold all mine for £2 paperbacks and £4-£8 hardbacks at the boot fair, we had bloody loads!! So was worth it!!

Even had two women fighting over one, cant remember which one now, but I was like :scared: ......it's a book for gods sake!!

Budgie Oct 17th 2006 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Marcopolo
Why are books so exspensive in Oz then? :confused:

Marc.

I was wondering about that one as well. Seems to me that they take the price in pounds, convert it directly to dollars at about the going rate of 2.4 dollars to the pound and then add 10% GST (VAT) to it.

This is expensive for an Australian because as we all know you don't earn the same over in Aus as you do in the UK!

Wendy Oct 17th 2006 10:28 pm

I'd love to say I did something sensible like sold all mine, but I gave most away and the rest I threw away :eek: :o

I bought 5 books yesterday from K-mart for $10.50 each. They are expensive in some shops but if you look around a bit there are some cheap ones about. :)

Most I've paid out here is $19.50 but it was a one I just HAD to have and was one of those larger paperbacks :o

gjs Oct 17th 2006 11:21 pm

Hi,
Thanks
Tracy

Like you,we had hundreds,and i wish I'd brought some of them out,had the idea that I would replace some of my faves when out here-but they arejust too expensive.We tried loads of different ways to offload them.
Got a stall at a bookfair-covered the cost of hiring the stall.
Took them to car boots-sold a few.
Gave bagsfull to whoever came round the house.
In the end gave them to a charity.
Wish I'd researched the cost of them over here first.
If you are bringing a container-bring your books.Even if you end up selling some of them in he future,you will probably make more money selling them out here.
My sister sells her unwanted stuff on Amazon,she getes realy good prices,especially for text books.

Mrs Jackaroo Oct 17th 2006 11:41 pm

I sold all of mine on Ebay UK but like Polly said, if I had my time over again I'd have brought them with me and sold them on Ebay AU - you usually make around $7-$10 per book (well I did with the few I had left to sell :))

HTH

noonard Oct 18th 2006 1:56 am

It doesn't make you much money (read any) but I got rid of a lot of books by registering them on bookcrossing, leaving them in random places, and seeing if anyone "claimed" them... :)

moneypenny20 Oct 18th 2006 2:32 am

I bought all mine with us - boxes and boxes of them :eek: Decided I couldn't possibly live without them, but I am the sort of person who can happily read them again and again.

Saying that, since we arrived, they have stayed in the boxes because we haven't put any shelves or units up yet so maybe I don't need them after all :o Ebay could be looking favourable ;)

lollyno1 Oct 18th 2006 5:28 am

hi all

I had my clearing out the other weekend. My 14 yr old is an avid reader..always has a book in his hand. I piled them all up and asked him to go sort them out, ie which he wanted and which i could sell at boot sale.

From a pile of over 100 he said 5 could be sold :confused:

I read but only to relax before sleep, so might be reading a book for months..lol mIne have gone to my school for the fete.

I am bringing with me my school text books from Scolastic though as Im unsure if I can buy books such as these in Aus. Does anyone know if they have them.

regards

lolly

littlescott Oct 18th 2006 6:47 am

Hi there,

I sold a few old Uni textbooks on Amazon Zshops thingie. It was dead easy and you dont need a paypal account or anything. You have to be a bit organised and ensure you can post out the book as soon as a buyer requests it (hard when you are in the throws of moving/packing/sorting etc!) but all in all i got about 50 quid straight into my bank account in return for waiting in the post office queue a few times...

Best of luck

scott