Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do we want from this site......?

What do we want from this site......?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default What do we want from this site......?

Have just read Graylings post with the banned one ! Its led me to question what do we want from this site?

I log on to try to genuinely help the people in the horrific process of applying/waiting for their visas. I'm no expert I just comment on my personal experience. In return I also ask the 'locals' for their advice since we have only been here 71/2 months. There are lots of people on here that I truly respect and some that just shock, there is absolutely no need for abuse, even if you are trying to get a visa/or its too hot in Aus.

I would just find it interesting if people tell us why they visit this site, what they enjoy and what they don't bother to read. Perhaps it will teach us all a thing or too - BUT PLEASE NO CONFRONTATION OR ABUSE - we all have different views and opinions - thats what makes us different.

Sorry if this bores some !!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: What do we want from this site......?

Originally Posted by surfdude
Have just read Graylings post with the banned one ! Its led me to question what do we want from this site?

I log on to try to genuinely help the people in the horrific process of applying/waiting for their visas. I'm no expert I just comment on my personal experience. In return I also ask the 'locals' for their advice since we have only been here 71/2 months. There are lots of people on here that I truly respect and some that just shock, there is absolutely no need for abuse, even if you are trying to get a visa/or its too hot in Aus.

I would just find it interesting if people tell us why they visit this site, what they enjoy and what they don't bother to read. Perhaps it will teach us all a thing or too - BUT PLEASE NO CONFRONTATION OR ABUSE - we all have different views and opinions - thats what makes us different.

Sorry if this bores some !!!
Dont enjoy the constant putting down of other peoples opinions. I logon here to help, see whats going on and to just general exchange views and opinions... when post after post become a slanging match its no fun
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:42 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I keep logging on because when I first started the visa process my agent did not tell me a few things re bonds etc, if I had not found similar people on here our visa application would have failed.
I have learnt so much on here it seems silly not to pass it on to all the newbies that come along.
Jenny
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

prem_career is on a distinguished road

* I logon to this site to know the happenings.
* To learn from others experience what to do and what not to do.
* To share my experience

Regards
PREM
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:55 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What do we want from this site......?

Ithink that this is one of the best sites ever! You can buy books nad watch TV about relocating, but I have learnt all the nitty gritty from personal experience, either good or bad.
The only thing is that this is so addictive. However being an optimist I have consoled myself in the belief that there is going to be a self help group to cure this addiction on Bondi Beach.........is there?...............
ViVi
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I log onto this site because I have made a load of new friends that I'm meeting again soon at the North West meet. A lot of them are going to the same destination, Brisbane, and I hope that it will form a good support group in our first months there. Well said, by the way.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:34 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

why i log on.
the people. theres good and bad but best of all theres funny.
u find people fighting hard to get to Oz but still have time to help others.

u find people who think they have no chance of getting a visa, one answer from another member or from reading another thread and they are back on track.

u find people who for some reason have nothing better to do than argue with every point????

u find people hwo are mentaly disturbed, but in a nice kinda way who make u laugh every day when the world seems to be going the wrong way round.

oh and i would love to know the answer to every question asked on here, cos i would be first to answer.
u never know. one day i might know the answer to one question
as old smithy used to say
POWER TO THE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!
oh ive just had a laugh, just checked the weather and its 1c in Edinburgh
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prem_career
* I logon to this site to know the happenings.
* To learn from others experience what to do and what not to do.
* To share my experience

Regards
PREM
snap! Plus sometimes its good to have a whinge when your having problems and can't talk to anyone else who understands!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cos it's entertaining, informative and full of like minded people. The odd argument is ok but when ar**holes take the piss it takes all the fun out of it.

I love playing devils advocate, but you just can't do it on sites like this because some people just don't get irony and can't see your facial expressions to know exactly what you are saying.

If numpties just thought for a couple of minutes before replying to posts, things would be a lot calmer.

Saying that, if it's a row that has nothing to do with me, it can be very funny (for a while) watching people get stroppy over a simple misunderstanding.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Well said Sue I log on for news and advice and where I can share my limited experience to help others
I feel I have made friends and going to the other side of the world will be less daunting knowing there are others in the same situation
its a great site but I think when the put you down posts appear it does spoil things but as they say everyone is entitied to their opinions and the might of the forum usually reigns supreme and they disapear into their own sad lonely ether and leave the rest of us to get on with our friendly harmless but very helpful and welcome banter

love mary
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:45 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Cos it's entertaining, informative and full of like minded people. The odd argument is ok but when ar**holes take the piss it takes all the fun out of it.

I love playing devils advocate, but you just can't do it on sites like this because some people just don't get irony and can't see your facial expressions to know exactly what you are saying.

If numpties just thought for a couple of minutes before replying to posts, things would be a lot calmer.

Saying that, if it's a row that has nothing to do with me, it can be very funny (for a while) watching people get stroppy over a simple misunderstanding.
I come here for very similar reasons, though I disagree with a lot more people then I let on, I just don't respond nine times out of ten otherwise I would be arguing here constantly and I don't think that's what this site is really about at all.

I'm happy to concede a point or be put right about certain things as I, like others, have garnered a great deal of useful, informative and entertaining info in my short time here, and there are many wiser folks here than me.

Sometimes the arguments are entertaining and I'll sit back and watch, but sometimes I feel very strongly that something needs to be said. This doesn't have to involve attacking someone, just giving another perspective.

Oh.....and I met someone here who has transformed my life......that's a good reason to come here too!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:13 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What do we want from this site......?

I'm a newby and finding this sight has removed the dark cloud that's been looming above my head just recently. I was so fed up of the waiting, the worrying and the feeling of isolation as no-one I know has any real knowledge of this subject. Mostly people only have negative stuff to say like

"Oooh it's really hard to get into Australia you know, and it takes years, I won't be surprised if you don't get in".

It's great to come on here and get actual informed advice from people who have experienced or are experiencing the same things.

I'm from Manchester and have just heard about the NW meet so we'll be going to that, it's a great idea.

And reading posts from PRs who have made it oz is great too. As someone has already said, you can watch tv and read books, but there's nothing like first hand advice from those in the know.

I'm hoping to head for Brisbane with my husband and 2 kids next year (seams like a lot of us Mancs are off to Brissy!) so, now I've stopped worrying about our meds, I'll be using the sight to get info on Brisbane suburbs. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers All
Rach
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:40 am
crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by moneypen20

LOVE IT! I TOTALLY AGREE!

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I like everything about this site. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.....

I think its every thread on here, even the ones that I dont personally agree with...that make it one of the best sites of its kind.

Its the input that every single person has on here that makes it what it is.

Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Useful advice from brits out there already, local first hand knowledge from their aussie spouses, understanding from people still stuck here who know what we're going through, humour and the occasional row!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.