Reload this Page >

What to do with UK bank account

What to do with UK bank account

Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:04 pm
Going stir crazy waiting!

Marie_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with UK bank account

Just a quick question.
Did any of you keep your UK bank accounts open when you moved to Australia and if you did, did you give them your Australia address or an address in the UK to send statements and correspondence ect to?

Marie
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with UK bank account

Originally Posted by Marie_m
Just a quick question.
Did any of you keep your UK bank accounts open when you moved to Australia and if you did, did you give them your Australia address or an address in the UK to send statements and correspondence ect to?

Marie
I kept mine open - useful as family can pay money in for birthdays etc, draw it out here at an ATM. I use my mum's address, simply cos I have online banking, so don't need all the paper stuff - pointless it being sent out here.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:47 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I kept mine open - useful as family can pay money in for birthdays etc, draw it out here at an ATM. I use my mum's address, simply cos I have online banking, so don't need all the paper stuff - pointless it being sent out here.

Good idea Poll, thats what im going to do aswell.

not long now till i get to meet up with you all, whhoooaagghhh!

On the subject of banks, whats the best bank to join in Melbourne, as they all seam to charge to withdraw etc...was thinking about havin a credit card to use all month for stuff then pay at end of each month, so in your experience whats the best bank for this?

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:51 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

On the subject of banks, whats the best bank to join in Melbourne, as they all seam to charge to withdraw etc...was thinking about havin a credit card to use all month for stuff then pay at end of each month, so in your experience whats the best bank for this?

laura
x
Good idea on the credit card thang - I'd be interested to hear people's ideas on this too.

Rob
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:52 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Good idea on the credit card thang - I'd be interested to hear people's ideas on this too.

Rob
Hi Rob
yea, unless they also charge you to use your credit card, then we're stuffed LOL

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:53 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

laura
x
I actually use a building society, in Qld; they charge, but not much, and on the strength of the Bloke and his family banking with them since 1272 (oh whoops, MIL isn't quite that old!) they gave me a credit card while on a temp spouse visa, which no-one else would do.
All the banks seem to charge a lot - I wouldn't like to say who is good, as I haven't shopped around, but there are lots of threads on it. Beware of stuff like - only 3 ATM withdrawals per month through your own bank''s machines, and only 2 from other machines, after that big charges; and very few people here use cheque books as apparently the cost of having a book is high, even before you use the cheques!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:58 pm

I actually use a building society, in Qld; they charge, but not much, and on the strength of the Bloke and his family banking with them since 1272 (oh whoops, MIL isn't quite that old!) they gave me a credit card while on a temp spouse visa, which no-one else would do.
All the banks seem to charge a lot - I wouldn't like to say who is good, as I haven't shopped around, but there are lots of threads on it. Beware of stuff like - only 3 ATM withdrawals per month through your own bank''s machines, and only 2 from other machines, after that big charges; and very few people here use cheque books as apparently the cost of having a book is high, even before you use the cheques!

thanks Poll

Which BS is it and can you get your wages paid into a BS? As my family also use a BS in Perth as they say its better and cheeper than banks so i might open an account with them and try for a credit card.............

let me know who they are

thanks laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:03 pm
Home and Happy

thanks Poll

Which BS is it and can you get your wages paid into a BS? As my family also use a BS in Perth as they say its better and cheeper than banks so i might open an account with them and try for a credit card.............

let me know who they are

thanks laura
x
Its the Heritage, but they only have branches in Qld I'm afraid. I do get my wages paid into the account though, so have a look at local societies in Melbourne - I think they are cheaper than most banks up here.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:15 pm

Its the Heritage, but they only have branches in Qld I'm afraid. I do get my wages paid into the account though, so have a look at local societies in Melbourne - I think they are cheaper than most banks up here.

thanks Poll, i always thought you were near Melbourne never mind, ill find a BS in Melbourne, unless anyone can suggest on here???

Maybe I wont see you till July time then, when i holiday up there!LOL

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:20 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

thanks Poll, i always thought you were near Melbourne never mind, ill find a BS in Melbourne, unless anyone can suggest on here???

Maybe I wont see you till July time then, when i holiday up there!LOL

laura
x
I'm planning on keeping my Barclaycard and UK Barclays account running. That way, I'll do everything by Internet. Although, I'm sure I'll open an Oz account eventually.

Someone told me that if you transferred you £ to $ once in Oz you could get as high as $3 to the £ - anyone else heard this?

Rob
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:38 pm

I'm planning on keeping my Barclaycard and UK Barclays account running. That way, I'll do everything by Internet. Although, I'm sure I'll open an Oz account eventually.

Someone told me that if you transferred you £ to $ once in Oz you could get as high as $3 to the £ - anyone else heard this?

Rob

last time i looked it was only 2.38, unless its gone up again????

yes i will keep my on line account aswell i dont know how ill manage without it, i will also need an on line one is aus.............oh desisions, desisions.....

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Marie_m
Just a quick question.

Marie
My experience with Abbey. Banked with them since 1988 and left my account open during my time overseas.

They used to send statements/cards to Australia direct then changed the plan, still did but via an overseas office in Bradford. This delayed things at my end and nobody had a clue what they were doing and you could never get them on the phone.

Then they kept trying to sell me "Offshore" accounts as I wasn't paying in a salary into their UK account and as such cost them money?????

Glad I kept it open, great for UK purchases, Birthdays, etc.

Also helped with credit rating on return to UK, I was able to get credit within 6 months of being back instead of 12 months as I got an overdraft which I reluctantly used for a month to get my rating going.

I have also kept my Ozzie credit cards and bank accounts. Use HSBC Australia On-line account, great interest and no costs!!!! Have "Fee Free" Westpac MasterCard, again no charges - winner!!!!

Merlot

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:29 pm
Home and Happy

I

Rob
I wish!!!!!

Laura, we're in Brissie, but we do get down to melbourne for the Gran Prix, so we could be meeting up yet!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rob
Nope that may happen going the other way though.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Laura,

I know its not exactly the same, but I used to bank with the Victorian Teaches Credit Union. I have never been a teacher, so its not JUST open to Teachers.

There is a website, although I dont have it to hand, that you can have a look at.

Good luck

Hels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.