Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do teens get up to in oz?

What do teens get up to in oz?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do teens get up to in oz?

Originally Posted by crikey
Quoll, there has been a single incident a couple of weeks ago of stones being dropped off a bridge & the local authority has pushed forward existing plans to fit barriers, at the moment to 1 bridge. I did not say there are no problems just that for us it is better.
And you can lol as much as you like but it is a fact that our 16 year old - so far at least, ( I'm not that naive) has never come home "bladdered" which I know would definitely of happened if we'd stayed in Wales, it is a very small town & Friday night in particular is all about drinking to the kids there.
There have been multiple incidents of rocks being tossed down at cars - mainly down in Tuggeranong - and cages have been in the process of being put up for some time now - this last was the last in quite a long line. The Hume has had them for years.

Glad to hear your 16 year old is staying sober, there are a whole stack of kids looking about that age out there in Civic at this very moment looking a little the worse for wear (just drove in and out very quickly to work!) - probably says more about you as parents and having reasonable expectations of your kids than what kids in general are doing. My kids were remarkably sober too while they were at HS but having worked in schools for a long time I know that they werent the norm for teens with respect to their alcohol or other mood enhancer consumption!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:50 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sssss
Didnt hear it was a myth, its just the impression we get in the uk. Bascially i am really struggling with deciding whether to move to adelaide or not. I have just had a baby so appreciate people being nice to me as i a bit hormonal.
In the thread that you started 4 days ago on the 9th of August you indicated that you didn't have any kids...

" - kids - we dont have them yet but is it really 'better to bring them up here' "

So has the situation changed in a matter of days?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
In the thread that you started 4 days ago on the 9th of August you indicated that you didn't have any kids...

" - kids - we dont have them yet but is it really 'better to bring them up here' "

I did think it might have been a troll with questions that were designed to split and start arguments. But you never know it could all be true and a real concern to them... the OP has edited their questions too after people had answered so some of it looks a bit skewiff... benefit of the doubt and all that....
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think that's called clutching at straws.
Cant remember being a teenager eh.... Do you know/remember how much they are influenced by music, how it reflects and shapes their lives. It's next to impossible to find violent aggressive music that comes out of Aus. Rap and Gangster hardly gets any airplay here... It's not just a Black thing in the UK or the US either.

Another example of UK home grown Gangster rap...

I'm trying to find some comments from a well known Black UK Music Choice DJ who is shocked at how the youngsters have developed into waste without a cause. He grew up with them in Brixton and still lives there.

I'll post them later.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 14th 2011 at 12:19 am.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Lets see what the UK Yoof are listening too

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IPpxxrl0xhM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wmYT79tPvLg

Have a go at finding some Aus Versions.... that the kids know I mean.
Err kids listen to the same music the world over, Lilly Allen is/was huge here. Often hear DR on the radio here, American Gansta rap is huge here, My wifes sisters kids in Indonesia love Lilly Allen and they wear the jilbab

You starting to sound like your dad
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's next to impossible to find violent aggressive music that comes out of Aus.
It's next to impossible to find any worthwhile music that comes out of Aus.

Maybe that says a lot about the 'culture' as well.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Cant remember being a teenager eh.... Do you know/remember how much they are influenced by music, how it reflects and shapes their lives. It's next to impossible to find violent aggressive music that comes out of Aus. Rap and Gangster hardly gets any airplay here... It's not just a Black thing in the UK or the US either.

Another example of UK home grown Gangster rap...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rKbKZ3Qe45Y

I'm trying to find some comments from a well known Black UK Music Choice DJ who is shocked at how the youngsters have developed into waste without a cause. He grew up with them in Brixton and still lives there.

I'll post them later.
Kids don't listen to the radio anymore, it's downloaded and on there ithingy
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Ironic that a concert by the Angels in Sydney in 1979 ended in a riot
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I think the most famous outbreak of that was the Stones concert in America when the Hells Angels were supposedly there for security... and there in lies the reason for that event..

Point I'm making is that there was no rhyme or reason for this outbreak of civil unrest. .... Concerts have traditionally quite often ended with a bit of a barney. It can be triggered by security.... two groups fighting... space... or the concert ending too early. The Lilly Allen example was given because "SHE" was influenced by her surroundings. Have you had a good listen to her music... bit like a Female John Cooper Clark the way she observes and reflects her locale.

Have a go at the new UK Accent, which would have been the predominant accent, .right around the Country amongst the rioters in this latest outbreak.

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/le...dkn3cz2bv_RU9w

Pretty impressive cultural change that can change a whole generations accent.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's next to impossible to find any worthwhile music that comes out of Aus.
I'm not going to leave that unchallenged because it's absolute bollocks, there's amazing music coming out of Australia at the moment, a lot of it isn't commercially successful but it's there if you know where to look.

Perth in particular has amazing output of great music.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Led by yourself, no doubt?! ;-)

Ozzie's comments are interesting, happy to hear them.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:09 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm not going to leave that unchallenged because it's absolute bollocks, there's amazing music coming out of Australia at the moment, a lot of it isn't commercially successful but it's there if you know where to look.

Perth in particular has amazing output of great music.
Any recommendations?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Any recommendations?
Here's a couple of Perth acts doing good stuff at the moment...

Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:16 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of boob wobbling in the second - I can see why you like it Renth.

The first reminds me of Mercury Rev.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge

I picked up on that as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.