Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do teens get up to in oz?

What do teens get up to in oz?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do teens get up to in oz?

Originally Posted by sssss
I mean the comments about me personally not the feedback. God this site, you have to justify everything, everyone is so touchy and defensive lol
I've struggled to find negative comments towards you personally, one or two wondering if the move is right and one querying another post you'd made. Not negative. Not unless you're touchy and defensive of course.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:38 am
Just Joined

sssss will become famous soon enoughsssss will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Harsh but true.

I'd say the OP needed therapy before anything else.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 7th 2011 at 11:51 am. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:39 am
Just Joined

sssss will become famous soon enoughsssss will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've struggled to find negative comments towards you personally, one or two wondering if the move is right and one querying another post you'd made. Not negative. Not unless you're touchy and defensive of course.
Hilarious!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Harsh but true.
I'd say the OP needed therapy before anything else.
Or stop reading the Daily Mail.
Hilarious!
If you say so. I was just going along with your 'lol'

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 7th 2011 at 11:59 am. Reason: Fixed quotes. :)
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:49 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

The teens don't bother me it the ferrel little ones that ya have to worry about!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:18 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

This post is exactly what i was getting at! Culture! It is not the culture in the uk to have hoon or boy racers/ Yes we do have them but it appears not as much as oz.
Probably cos the teens here are to stoned to give a crap
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

peterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
What I have found is that Brits almost want to believe that they have it bad and that things somewhere else are just better.
When I stayed in the UK recently with friends their house was more or less opposite a secondary school, coincidently the very place I finished by schooling. I would often be heading back at end of school day and the kids would be streaming out onto the street, they looked neat and clean and would just walk down the street in little groups chatting and doing what kids do. I didn't see any hoodies or witness any bad behaviour.
To the OP I don't know who has been telling you kids are different here but I have yet to witness it.
I haven't seen any strong indication at all that kids are better in Australia. I've seen some very bad behaviour (including criminal behaviour) from teenagers/young adults in Australia and heard some pretty poor things come out of their mouths on trains etc.

As someone said earlier, it is a case of 'same shit, different bucket'. I find that this is true of *most* things when comparing UK and Australia - same shit, different bucket.

If you ever look at stats online you'll find things like crime and youth crime per capita (this is a vital element because it takes differences in population size into account) are virtually identical - in many cases you'll find Australia often actually comes HIGHER in crime lists. Do some reading online - there's been some HORRIFIC crimes committed in Australia over the years but one of the curious things about Australia is that people *seem* to be inclined towards turning a blind eye/ignoring a lot of these things which is the exact opposite of what happens in Britain where everyone takes TOO MUCH notice of the shit that goes on. Aussies have their famous ''she'll be right'' attitude which I feel gets used too much and allows them to think things are okay when they are not.

Nations develop patterns/habits of thought. It doesn't necessarily represent reality. Australia is VERY biased towards a positive appraisal of itself, whereas Britain is VERY biased towards a negative appraisal of itself. It's just how it goes.

The bottom line is that there are shitty areas of the UK and there are shitty areas of Australia. There are areas in both countries that you would not want to live. Just because there is more sun in Australia does not mean there is less crime and unpleasantness.

Cheers!

Pete

Last edited by peterb4; Sep 10th 2011 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I find myself agreeing with absolutely every part of your post, mostly because it is spot on
Amazingly I get accused of being anti Australian because I tell people that virtually every aspect of day to day life is the same here as it is in the UK.
I have read that the average person has more family time here, people are healthier here, kids are happier and more polite here and even that they don't grow up so fast here.
I realise that many are happy just to blindly accept these 'facts' but I prefer to try and balance things, for that I am apparently a hater
I also realise that many migrants will want to think all these things are true and will ignore bad news to a degree, that is understandable but naive.
Anyway, thanks again.

Originally Posted by peterb4
I haven't seen any strong indication at all that kids are better in Australia. I've seen some very bad behaviour (including criminal behaviour) from teenagers/young adults in Australia and heard some pretty poor things come out of their mouths on trains etc.

As someone said earlier, it is a case of 'same shit, different bucket'. I find that this is true of *most* things when comparing UK and Australia - same shit, different bucket.

If you ever look at stats online you'll find things like crime and youth crime per capita (this is a vital element because it takes differences in population size into account) are virtually identical - in many cases you'll find Australia often actually comes HIGHER in crime lists. Do some reading online - there's been some HORRIFIC crimes committed in Australia over the years but one of the curious things about Australia is that people *seem* to be inclined towards turning a blind eye/ignoring a lot of these things which is the exact opposite of what happens in Britain where everyone takes TOO MUCH notice of the shit that goes on. Aussies have their famous ''she'll be right'' attitude which I feel gets used too much and allows them to think things are okay when they are not.

Nations develop patterns/habits of thought. It doesn't necessarily represent reality. Australia is VERY biased towards a positive appraisal of itself, whereas Britain is VERY biased towards a negative appraisal of itself. It's just how it goes.

The bottom line is that there are shitty areas of the UK and there are shitty areas of Australia. There are areas in both countries that you would not want to live. Just because there is more sun in Australia does not mean there is less crime and unpleasantness.

Cheers!

Pete
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true they are more sporty so dont really hang around the streets like in the uk or is that a myth...

Are they more pleasant or are you still wary of them on public transport etc...

Knife/gun crime, whats that like in oz?

Oh and is it true that as Australia is so big that people use planes like we would use the train so example as teen when they grow up would think nothing of hopping on a plane for a weekend partying in sydney when they live in adelaide? (i know that may sound odd but wondered if with adelaide being great for kids that when they get older most go to other destinations)

Thanks
I havent read the other posts on this thread but I have taught high school in both countries. My perception is there is a hardness in UK kids that isn't as prevalent in Australian kids, who tend to be quite easy going. I can't imagine the riots of London happening in Australia. The UK riots were caused by decades of welfare plus family breakdown plus cultural issues - Australia has been much tougher in dealing with those issues (work for the dole programs plus strict immigration policies etc)
In the high school I teach in Perth it is the english kids that are the most difficult to deal with on the whole. You get horrible Aussie kids too.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:57 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess as with everything it very much depends on where you are in both countries.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Having lived in Adelaide
Like most speaking from experience ... it’s like for like , it’s all dependent on the friends they meet and on how there guidelines are set out from home , Australian children don’t seem to grow up as fast , my 16yrs old is more like a British 14yr old, however Australia does seem to have the mentality put in to their youth of perfection and not always in the ways that count , ie sport , body ,eating habits, finding yourself in the outback , once again it comes down to your beliefs.
Having also lived in south Africa where there is a question of safety and crime etc , there is no reason for concern in either the uk or Australia all we can do is our best.
My teanager was at a party last night , ( most likely with alcohol ) then stayed at her friends house with 12 other girls in a tent.

In the uk , she would have likely done the same thing, allthough my eldest in the uk had hit the night clubs by 16, but she has grown up just fine.

Shame sh....... shiner bucket some days.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

peterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I havent read the other posts on this thread but I have taught high school in both countries. My perception is there is a hardness in UK kids that isn't as prevalent in Australian kids, who tend to be quite easy going. I can't imagine the riots of London happening in Australia. The UK riots were caused by decades of welfare plus family breakdown plus cultural issues - Australia has been much tougher in dealing with those issues (work for the dole programs plus strict immigration policies etc)
In the high school I teach in Perth it is the english kids that are the most difficult to deal with on the whole. You get horrible Aussie kids too.
I don't necessarily intend to argue but I have also been a teacher (before I abandoned it!) in the UK and Australia and I was struck by how similar the kids are. The kids in London were definitely tougher but out of London they were no different, in my experience, to Aussie kids.

I don't think you can claim that the riots that occurred in the UK would not happen in Australia and I don't think you can link them strictly to teenagers either. Lots of people were involved in the riots in some way or another - and they were not all impoverished, tough teenagers. That's a nonsense.

And you seem to have completely forgotten the 2005 Cronulla Riots. That DID happen in Australia so I don't agree with your confident statement that things like that could never happen in Australia.

I also don't entirely agree with the ''British kids grow up quicker'' thinking. The Aussie kids are like American kids to my eyes - they are positively HUGE compared to not just British but European kids in general - something in the food or the water or perhaps more sun, I don't know. Physically they are much more mature looking at a younger age and that has got to have an impact on how they see themselves mentally too.

Cheers!

Pete