Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do with savings....?

What to do with savings....?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do with savings....?

Right..... so... can't buy a house till about March next year, because Pascal is still on a temporary visa untill then. Grrr, hope house prizes don't go up to much... though will be able to save a bit more for deposit.

Is is worth the trouble putting our savings (aprox $10000) into an ING (or other) savings account. It's in a HSBC online savings account now, which is good too of course. So is it worth the hassle putting into something a little better?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What to do with savings....?

Originally Posted by Simone
Right..... so... can't buy a house till about March next year, because Pascal is still on a temporary visa untill then. Grrr, hope house prizes don't go up to much... though will be able to save a bit more for deposit.

Is is worth the trouble putting our savings (aprox $10000) into an ING (or other) savings account. It's in a HSBC online savings account now, which is good too of course. So is it worth the hassle putting into something a little better?
You would get $65 Gross interest per year more in the ING account, based on current rates of:
5.4% ING
4.75% HSBC

A savings history with a lender may also be useful down the track ?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

How much extra interest can you get? Every 1% equals an extra $100 over a 12 months period. You'd be lucky to find anything over 1/2% above HSBC so all you are going to make over a year is $50, then that will be taxed as well.

Andy
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:22 am
ABCDiamond

I'm surprised HSBC haven't increased their rates recently, they are beginning to lag behind.

Even St George Dragon Direct are offering 5.25% for deposits under $250,000

HSBC used to offer higher rates than St George.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:27 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for doing the sums for me!

Well, that's certainly not worth the hassle.(including taking a day of work, or an afternoon...).
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

There is an other option.
HSBC do a 5 month term deposit at 5.72% for deposits from $5,000 to $19,999.

But it doesn't make much difference. Maybe about $8 per month extra.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for doing the sums for me!

Well, that's certainly not worth the hassle.(including taking a day of work, or an afternoon...).
Does bankwest still have their 6% special on. If so they will give you the best return bar INGDirect. INGdirect also have some term deposits offering more than 5.4%
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Buy Floating Rate Notes?

Get about 8% less brokerage. The price of the notes can change so capital losses / gains are possible - look at price graphs to see how much in the past.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Megalania
Buy Floating Rate Notes?

Get about 8% less brokerage. The price of the notes can change so capital losses / gains are possible - look at price graphs to see how much in the past.
Geez, I thought you'd know me well enough by now to know that I'm not much into 'financial stuff' :scared: And I'm lazy, often. Geez, that's a different language(funnily enough I was good at maths and economy at high school, but crap at languages...)
Though at least I now know a lot about mortgages and some other stuff.

Ok, glanced at the page again and have figured it's some kind of investing. I can't be bothered with learning about investing just yet. I was figuring out house buying first, though that is postponed, I'm still going to do that first.
Though you never know, I have these wierd phases where I get all into learning stuff. Unfortunetley usually only last for a week or 3, then months of laziness again.. (geez, it's like work and uni, and even fun things I do. There's a real pattern emerging, it's becoming clearer to me. Just haven't got a clue what to do about it yet..)
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:32 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I use ING in the UK, it's dead easy to get at your money!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:24 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridiej
I use ING in the UK, it's dead easy to get at your money!
Yep..... and their 5% gross is pretty fair.

Jim
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:34 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Do any of the newspapers (or other sources) produce a list of the best interest rates for savings, mortgages? I am thinking of along the lines of what Sunday time do each week. (I specifically interested in Sydney, but I'm sure others would be interested for different states)
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

everyone goes on about ING but to have an account with them you also need another account to transfer to and from. Citibank have an online cash manager account that requires no other accounts and their interest is slightly higher at 5.4%

Andy
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just send your spare cash to me - PM me and I'll give my bank details for the transfer.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andy thomas
everyone goes on about ING but to have an account with them you also need another account to transfer to and from. Citibank have an online cash manager account that requires no other accounts and their interest is slightly higher at 5.4%

Andy
Correction 5.5%. now where has the bloody edit button gone to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.