what to do in Perth

Wikiposts

what to do in Perth

Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road
Default what to do in Perth

Hi all

My family and I are going over to oz on the 8th December. We are going to Singapore for 3 days and then on to the Gold coast for 10 days. We are staying in Adelaide over xmas and new year with our friends but we then fly to Perth for 5 days.

My question is should we book a hotel for the 5 days or maybe travel up the coast as we have heard that monkey mia and other places up north are very nice. We are going to Perth as we are undecided on where to settle once we get our visa, that is Adelaide or Perth. Also can anyone recommend a hotel in or around Perth.

thanks from anxious and excited sally
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

anxious and excited sally....... Sounds like a wedding night bride lol
Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:03 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth

HI

I've just spent a month in WA didn't like Perth city a great deal but there are some lovely places around there. Margaret river is lovely and probably cooler than up North in December. Monkey Mia is gorgeous stay there not in Denham but only for a couple of days as theres limited stuff to do. Travelling up the coast is good some great and cheap camp sites, Kalbarri is a nice place to stay. If your in the city Fremantle is a much nicer place to visit much more character and excellent markets over the weekend.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what to do in Perth

Originally posted by ovenater
Hi all

My family and I are going over to oz on the 8th December. We are going to Singapore for 3 days and then on to the Gold coast for 10 days. We are staying in Adelaide over xmas and new year with our friends but we then fly to Perth for 5 days.

My question is should we book a hotel for the 5 days or maybe travel up the coast as we have heard that monkey mia and other places up north are very nice. We are going to Perth as we are undecided on where to settle once we get our visa, that is Adelaide or Perth. Also can anyone recommend a hotel in or around Perth.

thanks from anxious and excited sally
I s'pose you ought to think where you're likely to get jobs. If in Perth, then perhaps you ought to stay near the City to get a feel for the place. We stayed in a B & B in Sorrento when we went there in April. It was owned by an English family who emigrated about 10 years ago so it was nice to get their thoughts on the place. It was like an apartment on the top floor of their house - I could let you have the details if you like...

We visited the Pemberton area when we were there. We loved it down there but don't know whether I could get a job there
Old Oct 12th 2003, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Janeyray did a really good post on things to see in Perth on this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=178849

Personally I thought Monkey Mia was a s**thole and not worth the drive or the money to get in. Would much rather have spent another day in and around Kalbarri.

If you dont want to drive up as far as Kalbarri, you have to visit the Pinnacles. That is worth a look.

With just 5 days think I would probably do Perth and then go south, more places closer together. A jolly north is long drive between places.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 12th 2003 at 7:43 am.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Default re sorento

Thanks for the info
should we book our accomodation before we get there or do you think there will be plenty of places to stay. we are a family of 5 with 2 of our kids being 16 and 18. we don't particularly like cities but would like to know nice places to stay as well as being nearby to looking at places to live. having only 5 days we may better off booking before as it is summer holidays for the schools then.

any suggestions from Sally
Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi guys

this link might be of some use to you...

http://www.staywa.net.au/

I guess it depends on when you will be arriving, but I would certainly book before you get here, especially over the summer holidays here.

I would agree that a jaunt South would perhaps be better than the long distances up north....lots to see around the Margaret River, blackwood river etc....mind, not that I've been that far up north yet though!

love sophia xx
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that with limited time you should head south of the city, I love Busselton, if your into camping (They also have cabins to rent) theres a great campsite called the Amblin on the Bussell Highway where you can just walk from your tent straight onto the beach, its heaven. You can watch the wild dolphins swimming past.

When in the City head to Kings Park, you get a great view of the city with the river running through.

Never been to Monkey Mia, but heard that its abit crap and touristy.

Hope you have a lovely time.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

As you are only going to be there 5 days, I would suggest travelling south. The north is so remote, you can't see much along the way to towns. It is atleast a 5 hour drive just to get to Geraldton.
If you go south there are a lot more towns - Mandurah, Margaret River, Bunbury, Busselton, Augusta, Denmark, Albany and Esperance. Also at that time of the year it is rather hot, so it will be a bit cooler going south rather than going north.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Default thanks for reply

thanks suebo

lots of places for us to try

by the way i love your little picture under your name

sally
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sally

if you are seriously considering perth as a future home and only have 5 days wouldnt you be best just to stay in or around the city to try and get a feel for the place, there are plenty great beaches if you need some chill out time.

The last time we went out we stayed at www.westbeachlagoon.com.au which is at scarborough, it was a bit 1970s but resonably prices 2 bed apartments in an area with plenty going on and within easy reach of the city.

Lynn
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks lynn

I emailed the site for prices and it looks good.

We have decided to book one place and visit different areas from there

Thanks for all the replies

sally
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks lynn

I emailed the site for prices and it looks good.

We have decided to book one place and visit different areas from there

Thanks for all the replies

sally