Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do people wear to work?

What do people wear to work?

Old Jul 5th 2002, 3:36 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default What do people wear to work?

Hi there. I was just wondering what people consider 'normal' workwear in NZ (and I guess this might be similarly of interest from the Aus perspective.) Ie, in central business district, formal office such as bank, solicitor, management of private business etc, is it strictly suit and tie? What about away from the capital? For more informal offices and work locations is 'normal' workwear as casual as in the UK?

My personal experience from the UK is that 'smart casual' was totally acceptable every day of the week (in big listed FTSE100 co)except when meeting clients/ hired agencies or at occasional formal internal meetings. Eg often a smart pair of jeans or slacks, proper shirt, no tie but maybe blazer or informal jacket. Would that be 'normal' in downtown Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington?

Thanks for any input.

All the best
Old Jul 5th 2002, 8:20 pm
Winnie

Default Re: What do people wear to work?

"newstartnz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there. I was just wondering what people consider 'normal' workwear in NZ (and I
    > guess this might be similarly of interest from the Aus perspective.) Ie, in
    > central business district, formal office such as bank, solicitor, management of
    > private business etc, is it strictly suit and tie? What about away from the
    > capital? For more informal offices and work locations is 'normal' workwear as
    > casual as in the UK?

The only super-formal people we saw were going in and out of Auckland regional
airport. The Auckland bank staff were wearing jeans. The lawyer we saw yesterday wore
a shirt and tie, but nothing super smart - apart from that people wear what they are
comfy in I suppose. Where uniforms are worn they are worn with pride. There isn't
much evening dressing up either; the only people who I've seen doing that are poms
(not us!) and ex Aucklanders.

HTH Winnie

Old Jul 6th 2002, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Aus similar, long pants and short sleeve shirt for office, skirt/shirt no tights for ladies. Varies according to state tho, Sydney Melbourne much smarter/fashion aware. Brisbane always a struggle with the humidity, you are supposed to cover up (long sleeves hats sunblock to beat skin cancer) but then you sweat to death. Pray for an airconditioned office perhaps? Generally
more casual than the UK. One thing I have always loved about Brisbane is it is so hot a line full of washing will dry in half an hour flat in summer, which beats hanging it on the radiators.
Old Jul 6th 2002, 11:20 am
Winnie

"dotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > One thing I have always loved about Brisbane is it is so hot a line full of washing
    > will dry in half an hour flat in summer, which beats hanging it on the radiators.

Same here in Otago, in the winter. Not hot but the air is very dry.

Winnie

Old Jul 9th 2002, 5:20 pm
Robert Brockway

dotty <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Aus similar, long pants and short sleeve shirt for office, skirt/shirt no tights
    : for ladies. Varies according to state tho, Sydney Melbourne much smarter/fashion
    : aware. Brisbane always a struggle with the humidity, you are supposed to cover up
    : (long sleeves hats sunblock to

I work in the Brisbane CBD. I wear long pants (not jeans) and long sleeve shirts to
work. I don't bother with ties except for very formal meetings.

I've found alot of businesses are ok with people dressing down occassionally in
Brisbane. We do tend to be more relaxed than Sydney/Melbourne.

: beat skin cancer) but then you sweat to death. Pray for an airconditioned office
    : perhaps? Generally more casual than the UK. One

I can't think of the last time I saw a non-airconditioned office in Brissie. To be
honest it would be a work place health & safety issue in Summer here.

Sometimes the airconditioners can strain a bit

: thing I have always loved about Brisbane is it is so hot a line full of washing
    : will dry in half an hour flat in summer, which beats hanging it on the radiators.

Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. Email: [email protected]
ICQ: 104781119 WWW: robert.timetraveller.org "The earth is
but one country and mankind its citizens"
-Baha'u'llah