Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Do People Really Miss

What Do People Really Miss

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:38 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do People Really Miss

Originally Posted by renth
Fuelled by centuries of religious bigotry and violence, sorry mate, you can keep your "old firm" derbies.
Yes, Scotland does have history, good & bad.

I'll take history, passion & excitement anyday, warts and all.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:13 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman
REAL FOOTBALL, with atmosphere at games and entertaining to watch.
I find AFL and Rugby matches here far more entertaining given and with more atmosphere. Its a real family day out to the footy and at the Gabba after an AFL match kids and dads can go kick the football around the pitch in the middle of the stadium. As I recall the only thing that would get a kicking after the game in the UK is any other opposing supporter by a bunch of drunk yobs.

At least I can drink at the game too here! That makes it all the more entertaining after a few
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:16 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GTFC
PARTNER AND I ARE LOOKING AT MOVING TO WA LATE NEXT YEAR DEPENDENT ON MY JOB. I'V SPENT A NUMBER OF YEARS IN AUSTRALIA AS A CHILD AND ALSO TRAVELLED INDEPENDENTLY. HOWEVER MY WIFE . . . TO BE ! HASN'T BEEN YET (BOOKED FOR NEXT AUGUST) AND SHE'S REAL WORRIED ABOUT MISSING THE THINGS OVER HERE. CAN PEOPLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MISS AND HOW THEY DEAL WITH MISSING THEM, JUST TO GIVE AMY AN IDEA

CHEERS SEAN
What do we really miss??

hubby (steve): Pork Scratchings
me: seabrook salt & vinegar crisps (i have tried the s&v chips here but not same)

Apart from that.............. NOWT!

Claire
xxx
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:29 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

After a few years here I don't miss anything materialistic. I am used to Aussie chocolate now ....phew

I miss the history and architecture. The countryside and olde worlde pubs for a pint by an open coal fire...yum

Most of all I miss family, but I've learned to get over it and get on with life....they are!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

PARTNER AND I ARE LOOKING AT MOVING TO WA LATE NEXT YEAR DEPENDENT ON MY JOB. I'V SPENT A NUMBER OF YEARS IN AUSTRALIA AS A CHILD AND ALSO TRAVELLED INDEPENDENTLY. HOWEVER MY WIFE . . . TO BE ! HASN'T BEEN YET (BOOKED FOR NEXT AUGUST) AND SHE'S REAL WORRIED ABOUT MISSING THE THINGS OVER HERE. CAN PEOPLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MISS AND HOW THEY DEAL WITH MISSING THEM, JUST TO GIVE AMY AN IDEA

CHEERS SEAN
I'm not missing too many materialistic things, but the lack of good journalism is getting to me. I would kill for Newsnight, Question Time or the Channel 4 news.

Also a pub with a dart board in it.

S
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:06 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm not missing too many materialistic things, but the lack of good journalism is getting to me. I would kill for Newsnight, Question Time or the Channel 4 news.

S
Do you like any of the in depth stuff on the ABC, swerv-o?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Know it sounds cliched and boring but we miss;

M&S Food Hall
Tesco's
Considerate fellow drivers
Phil and Kirstie (Location x3)
The Cotswolds
Georgian architecture
Vauxhall cars
Simon Cowell
Well made kids toys that don't break after one use
Cheap bananas
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Do you like any of the in depth stuff on the ABC, swerv-o?
It's ok, but I don't think it quite has the edge of Newsnight or C4 News. It just seems a bit tame, and not as compelling as the others. Th interviewers seem just too satisfied with the first answer the interviewee gives them. Not quite as probing as Snow or Paxman.

How do you rate them?

S
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil S
Know it sounds cliched and boring but we miss;

Vauxhall cars
Holden ?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

CAN PEOPLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MISS AND HOW THEY DEAL WITH MISSING THEM, JUST TO GIVE AMY AN IDEA

Miss chatting to the MIL on a regular basis.
Cope with it by saying cheers as I relish my good fortune.

Don't miss anything else.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:32 am
Account Closed

It's ok, but I don't think it quite has the edge of Newsnight or C4 News. It just seems a bit tame, and not as compelling as the others. Th interviewers seem just too satisfied with the first answer the interviewee gives them. Not quite as probing as Snow or Paxman.

How do you rate them?

S
I really like Mediawatch... and Lateline, plus Four Corners.

Yes, I agree that Lateline could be much better with a little more 'attack'... but then there were times in the UK I just got sick of Paxman being too agressive and he put me off the programme. At least the presenters on Lateline actually manage to make it watchable, but the gaps in the arguments are obvious I think and most Aussie politicians can manage to make fools out of themselves without having to be badgered into doing so by an interviewer. From the ones I've seen, their 'evasion tactics' aren't up to the standard of UK ones... Just different style I guess?

Four Corners is excellent imo. It's on a par with Panorama. I haven't seen a bad one yet, but my issue with most of this stuff is that it's on too late. I'm knackered by 9 most nights...
C4 news and Mr Snow is probably what I most miss.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Holden ?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:34 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

We've been here almost three years now and the list is the same today as it was when we first arrived:
London Pride - can get it from Dan Murphys but it's been cooked travelling half way round the world on a ship!
The Sunday Times - the SMH is utter bollox in comparison
Real sausages – Australia just can’t do them!
A range of proper pubs – I feel as if I will have to spend the rest of my life in the Lord Dudley!
Family and Friends, it never, ever gets easier. We’re having our first child in the next two weeks and that will only make it harder.

Having said that unless Hell freezes over, or Spurs win the Championship, I’m not going back.

Dinky

X
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

S
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...&bbwm=1&news=1

Use RealPlayer, not Windows Media Player and you can watch Newsnight, Panorama, Question Time, Real Story, Sunday AM and This World. Quality's not exactly hi-def, but it'll do.

Can't help with the pub. Sorry.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

S
Our local pub has a dart board! Bit far for you though Haven't seen any skittle alleys though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.