Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Do People Really Miss

What Do People Really Miss

Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Do People Really Miss

PARTNER AND I ARE LOOKING AT MOVING TO WA LATE NEXT YEAR DEPENDENT ON MY JOB. I'V SPENT A NUMBER OF YEARS IN AUSTRALIA AS A CHILD AND ALSO TRAVELLED INDEPENDENTLY. HOWEVER MY WIFE . . . TO BE ! HASN'T BEEN YET (BOOKED FOR NEXT AUGUST) AND SHE'S REAL WORRIED ABOUT MISSING THE THINGS OVER HERE. CAN PEOPLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MISS AND HOW THEY DEAL WITH MISSING THEM, JUST TO GIVE AMY AN IDEA

CHEERS SEAN
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:03 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do People Really Miss

Originally Posted by GTFC
PARTNER AND I ARE LOOKING AT MOVING TO WA LATE NEXT YEAR DEPENDENT ON MY JOB. I'V SPENT A NUMBER OF YEARS IN AUSTRALIA AS A CHILD AND ALSO TRAVELLED INDEPENDENTLY. HOWEVER MY WIFE . . . TO BE ! HASN'T BEEN YET (BOOKED FOR NEXT AUGUST) AND SHE'S REAL WORRIED ABOUT MISSING THE THINGS OVER HERE. CAN PEOPLE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MISS AND HOW THEY DEAL WITH MISSING THEM, JUST TO GIVE AMY AN IDEA

CHEERS SEAN
Hi Sean,
Im afraid i cant really answer your question as i'm not there yet myself!! However if you do a search on this type of topic you will find LOADS of threads asking the same question which might help you.
Having read lots of them,people have said they miss a wide range of things such as ..umm ...M&S knickers ( for you other half !!) ,decent chocolate, good duvets, family is obviously a big one, being able to get all your shopping in one place ie Tesco,over there you have to go to different places to get the sort of quality/price were used to eg veg or meat. Broadband seems to be difficult to get hold of in places not sure if that applies to you.Dont even get me started on the nappies thread!! :scared: Also there is a lack of history too compared to the UK and people say they miss that.
However there are a great many things they dont miss AND rave about in OZ so i guess you just get used to it all in the end.If your happy to try stuff and have an open mind on most things you and your other half im sure will be fine!!
Happy searching
M J
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:05 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GTFC

CHEERS SEAN
P.S Don't quote me ...but writing in capitals means your shouting on here!!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Material things is simply a case of getting used to different brands. I dont have much time for the "I'm missing Next, M&S, Tesco crew". Get over it. This is Australia. We dont have British high street shops.

The only thing that I believe anyone actually misses are family and old friends.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Material things is simply a case of getting used to different brands. I dont have much time for the "I'm missing Next, M&S, Tesco crew". Get over it. This is Australia. We dont have British high street shops.

The only thing that I believe anyone actually misses are family and old friends.
ditto:ditto

Friends and family,as for the other stuff...its around somewhere,just when i thought Australia didnt have desent chesse,found some in the Military Market in Midlands..
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Only one thing I miss and that's my Son
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:26 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss my sister and my friends...but we chat on Skype and they will visit and vice versa..

Other than that, Aus has everything anyway. I'm about to launch my underwear offensive at those who say you can't get good undies out here... I've found that it's total bollocks.
I might even post some pics.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
it's total bollocks.
That the name of your menswear range mate?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:31 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
That the name of your menswear range mate?
I get my best ideas on here...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Newspapers,
Bruges in Belgium & the best pub & beer in the world,
Cheap books & decent book shops, although that is now changing with the new Borders store in Perth,
Screwfix for cheap tools/hardware, we are reamed out with this stuff over here,
Decent, cheap internet shopping (Amazon, 7dayshop, Dabs, Savastore etc) unfortunately Australia is way behind in ths field, they don't seem to have grasped the fact that internet shopping should actually be cheaper than going to the store.
Realistic speed limits & a 10% tolerance in exceeding them. It really is about revenue collection here,
Decent drivng standards,
Cheap flights/ferries/trains to Europe & trips to Europe in general.

Small things really. Nothing to make me want to go back.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how the £10 poms coped all those years ago. Not only did they not have English supermarkets,fashion or various products etc, but they also did not have the technology we have these days. People today can sign on the net and talk or see their family and friends, buy phone cards to make cheap calls to home or write a text message and have it received on the other side of the world in an instant. I know its not the same as actually being with friends, but at least its something. Reckon they must have done it pretty tough back in those days. Thank god for technology !!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
I wonder how the £10 poms coped all those years ago. Not only did they not have English supermarkets,fashion or various products etc, but they also did not have the technology we have these days. People today can sign on the net and talk or see their family and friends, buy phone cards to make cheap calls to home or write a text message and have it received on the other side of the world in an instant. I know its not the same as actually being with friends, but at least its something. Reckon they must have done it pretty tough back in those days. Thank god for technology !!
I don't think you have to go back that far. In the early 90's, email was still a novelty, same for cellphones. Making international calls was a big deal & was not cheap at all. I remember travelling in SE Asia n 1993-4 & phoning my family in South Africa was not easy to do & horrendously expensive. Internet cafes did not exist. The great thing about revolutionary advances in technology like the internet, cellphones, voip is that they become part of our life so quickly & so thoroughly that we don't know how we managed before they arrived.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

REAL FOOTBALL, with atmosphere at games and entertaining to watch.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:20 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my mum x (and stepdad, aunt and sister) but mainly my mum.....Oh and Tesco's

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman
REAL FOOTBALL, with atmosphere at games and entertaining to watch.
Fuelled by centuries of religious bigotry and violence, sorry mate, you can keep your "old firm" derbies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.