Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do people pack in their suitcases when emigrating

what do people pack in their suitcases when emigrating

Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

marie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud of
Default what do people pack in their suitcases when emigrating

hi all

just wondered what everyone packed or is thinking of packing into their 40 kg luggage allowance. At the moment i am just packing clothes but only summer ones as the rest is being shipped i dont think it will come to that amount at all. just wondering if i should be packing other stuff.

marie
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: what do people pack in their suitcases when emigrating

Ive got to make sure I pack the boys gameboys machines in the suitcase as I dont think they could wait for them to be shipped over!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie197500
hi all

just wondered what everyone packed or is thinking of packing into their 40 kg luggage allowance. At the moment i am just packing clothes but only summer ones as the rest is being shipped i dont think it will come to that amount at all. just wondering if i should be packing other stuff.

marie
I plan to pack two suits for job interviews, clothes according to the temp in Oz in March plus a warm coat just in case. Enough knickers and bras to float the titanic.

Smart shoes, trainers, walking boots and some thongs, enough shampoo to tide me over till the boxes arrive.

Some of my bear collection (i have loads), laptop, special photos, camera/camcorder and that is about it really.

I shall do a clothes shop before I go and anything we cant put in our case, will be shipped.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I plan to pack two suits for job interviews, clothes according to the temp in Oz in March plus a warm coat just in case. Enough knickers and bras to float the titanic.

Smart shoes, trainers, walking boots and some thongs, enough shampoo to tide me over till the boxes arrive.

Some of my bear collection (i have loads), laptop, special photos, camera/camcorder and that is about it really.

I shall do a clothes shop before I go and anything we cant put in our case, will be shipped.
pack clothes for comfort for the season you are arriving in - dont worry for the rest as your gear will arrive - if not you are insured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Watty n arls
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:59 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We had to move out of our house in the UK Spring so needed to hold back warm and cool clothes. As well as that we brought important paperwork, backup discs of all our family vids and photos, shoes, laptop, cameras, mobiles phones, the special toys the kids had used over the summer (soft stuff mostly), some towels to see us through and enough toiletries to last a week or two. OH yeah, the Next Summer sale started the week before we left so I had about 30kg of sale stock in my case too lol.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

dino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nice

we stupidly packed way too much stuff in suitcases (and paid 1000 pounds excess baggage!). stuff like 6 months supply of contact lens solution (as if you can't buy it here), CDs and a DVD player (doh, only $49 in the supermarket here).

Then we later had furniture shipped over, it was cheaper for the entire crate than just the excess baggage.

Things you should ship over: white goods - washing machine, drier. cheaper and better from UK. dont go for an aussie top loader, they are quick, dont wash clothes properly but do shred them to pieces.

Most of my english clothes I dont wear now anyway. Things like jeans are a lot thinner material over here, I guess cos of the warmer weather.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:35 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Aus with 2 suitcases....so I packed everything
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I packed everything I owned in mine - if it didn't fit it didn't come
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:37 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I packed everything I owned in mine - if it didn't fit it didn't come
So did I
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
So did I

Starting all over again is fantastic isn't it.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:47 am
Take it easy

Starting all over again is fantastic isn't it.

Liberating, decluttering, enervating
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Liberating, decluttering, enervating

Oo, they're big words for this time of day
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:54 am
Take it easy

Oo, they're big words for this time of day
freeing, getting shot o' junk, bit o' a boost
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

freeing, getting shot o' junk, bit o' a boost

That's more like it.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:58 am
Just Joined

dino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nice

forgot to mention, we brought over bulging 6 suitcases (for 2 people).

when we found out the cost of excess baggage (at the last minute at the airport), i started frantically throwing things away, as the charge is per kg. i was even ripping pages out of books to save on weight. it musta looked quite comical.

i wouldnt make the same mistake again, its better starting over