Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do people intend to do when they get there?

What do people intend to do when they get there?

Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:30 pm
plumber39

Default What do people intend to do when they get there?

I,m a plumber/gas engineer, but think i might change direction completely become a Builder,estate agent,spark,road sweeper, who knows!
What are you people going to do? or if you,re already there, what are 'you' doing to make end,s meet?

Last edited by plumber39; Jul 15th 2003 at 8:32 pm.

Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do people intend to do when they get there?

Originally posted by plumber39
I,m a plumber/gas engineer, but think i might change direction completely become a Builder,estate agent,spark,road sweeper, who knows!
What are you people going to do? or if you,re already there, what are 'you' doing to make end,s meet?
hi
my hubby is a plasterer and hopes to trade in Brisbane as such, i on the other hand intend to lie by my pool and light the barbie just before he's due home!
regards
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:43 pm
plumber39

good on ya sheila!

Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:50 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by plumber39

In an ideal world we'd both get straight into our usual IT jobs (him, Programmer, me, Business Intelligence). Unlikely though!

Have thought about a complete change of direction - always fancied swanning around in a pink jeep with swatches of cloth, turning people's lounges into Bedouin tents!

We're well aware that we will probably end up doing something different for a while, just to keep the dollars coming in.

We've both travelled a lot and done jobs like picking tomatoes, running bars in hostels, telesales and so on.

To us this is one of the many faces of starting a new life. It won't be boring (at first at least) and we might just get to do something that we would never have done otherwise - which is never a bad thing.

(Remind me I said that after 9 hours of trying to sell someone air conditioning).
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I'm a "support worker" for the police - thats a civilian,rather than a police person. I'd love to do the same in Oz, but I can't get a permanent job with them till I have PR, and as I'm going on a prospective spouse visa, that'll take a couple of years. So I'll do anything!!!
I'm not the type to sit back and do nothing, and besides we can't both live on His wages for long.
Anyone in the Brisbane area who wants to give me a job, I'll give it a shot, just send me a PM! All reasonable offers accepted.....
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Have thought about a complete change of direction - always fancied swanning around in a pink jeep with swatches of cloth, turning people's lounges into Bedouin tents!

Hi Pookin
do you mean a pink jeep like mine (attached), we could set up business together, although hubby is reluctant to let me ship her out!
best of luck whatever you do
rach
Attached Thumbnails What do people intend to do when they get there?-jeep-2.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

LOL i like your spare tire cover
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:33 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck

Hi Pookin
do you mean a pink jeep like mine (attached), we could set up business together, although hubby is reluctant to let me ship her out!
rach
That is one gorgeous motor, Rach! Best of luck to you, too.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Here in the UK, I'm a signmaker (still making the bloody things and its nearly midnight) ........ When we get to Brisbane, a Helicopter Pilot - obviously!!

RollonOctober

Mark
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doub
........ When we get to Brisbane, a Helicopter Pilot - obviously!!

RollonOctober

Mark
Yeah, and pigs might fly!

oh........just noticed your avatar.....well good luck with it!
Old Jul 16th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We were both prepared to do anything when we got here but luckily hubby got straight back into screenprinting and me back into office work after a bit. We both like our jobs, wages are crap though, we both earn under the Aus "average" so maybe we should be looking at being brain surgeons or sumthink!

Is is just us but we are both really tired all the time, usually falling asleep, dribbling on the settee with beer spilled everywhere by about 9pm! (and this is usually on our 1st beer)

Diane
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:50 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck

Hi Pookin
rach

Rach

I remember that Jeep from the meetup in Hampshire.

Are you taking it with you?

Southerner
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:56 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

My hubby Ian intends to get work as a floor layer (carpet fitter) but if not then he is willing to do labouring work, etc. Hopefully he won't have to as we have contacted a few businesses in Oz who have asked him to contact them when we arrive as they are always looking for qualified trades people.

I work in call centres in Scotland and would be happy to do the same in Oz. I have heard that call centre work is as easy to get (and as low paid) there as it is here, which would suit me fine as some money is better than no money.

Mel
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a nurse and hopefully I'll have a job lined up before we go to Perth - one less thing to worry about when we get there. I'll be working nights so I'll still have the lovely days to enjoy with the kids and the housework etc.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Rach

i use to have a vitara just like yours, i loved it but unfortunately it had to go when our 2nd little boy came along as i couldnt get a doubly buggy in it, my husband hated it especially when he was drunk as i made him sit in the back and he said it felt as though the soft top was sucking his brains out!

anyway when we get to perth i expect my husband to be stocking the shelves in coles as IT jobs are a bit hens teeth like and i will be doing what i do here, giving ladies lovely nails, nail art, body art, airbrush tanning and make-up.......hopefully!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.