Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do now - help ?

What to do now - help ?

Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do now - help ?

Situation is we have to validate Jan 20th - so heading to Brisbane. House is on the Market and not selling - even had 3 reductions.

Do I take a validation trip of 2 or 3 weeks - look at the areas, places to live etc - apply for some jobs.

Do I get a hire car at the airport or outside say www.budget.com.au for instance ?

If I book return flights and the house does sell - do I lose out on the return flight costs ? - should I book flights now - although expensive for Jan too.

Annoyed actually as I dont know if I can take the 40kg allowance as I am not sure we will be staying unless our house is sold. Its a lot of money to burn up.....

Looking for some good advice here - all would be fine if it wasnt for this house.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do now - help ?

Originally Posted by MikeMc
Situation is we have to validate Jan 20th - so heading to Brisbane. House is on the Market and not selling - even had 3 reductions.

Do I take a validation trip of 2 or 3 weeks - look at the areas, places to live etc - apply for some jobs.

Do I get a hire car at the airport or outside say www.budget.com.au for instance ?

If I book return flights and the house does sell - do I lose out on the return flight costs ? - should I book flights now - although expensive for Jan too.

Annoyed actually as I dont know if I can take the 40kg allowance as I am not sure we will be staying unless our house is sold. Its a lot of money to burn up.....

Looking for some good advice here - all would be fine if it wasnt for this house.
Is it just you who needs to validate or the whole family. We had the same situation, I had to validate by 22nd October and the house wasn't selling. But, it was only me so I took a seven day trip to Brisbane (five days there) came back and the house sold although not completing until after 22/10 so the trip wasn't wasted.

Have now lost the 40kg allowance but a small price to pay for not losing visa

It was probably easier for me cos I don't suffer jetlag. You could always go over half term say - cheaper than Jan and the panic will be over. Leaving it until Jan could be dodgy - something could happen that prevents you flying.

I have been advised not to pick up hire car at the airport. Costs more. Be worth getting the train or taxi into city and then collecting the car.

Probably not a lot of help but good luck anyway