Reload this Page >

What to do with my UK Driving licence

What to do with my UK Driving licence

Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Blueboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with my UK Driving licence

Hi,

We are moving out of our UK home this weekend, going up to my parents for four weeks and then flying over to Perth. Question is, what do i need to do with my (and wifey`s) UK driving licence. If i do nothing it will still detail my old home address - does this matter. I could change the address to my parents but we`re only there for a matter of weeks. There must be a few of you out there who have gone in similar circumstances, what did you do, what did you tell DVLA??

All help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

BB.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with my UK Driving licence

Originally Posted by Blueboy
Hi,

We are moving out of our UK home this weekend, going up to my parents for four weeks and then flying over to Perth. Question is, what do i need to do with my (and wifey`s) UK driving licence. If i do nothing it will still detail my old home address - does this matter. I could change the address to my parents but we`re only there for a matter of weeks. There must be a few of you out there who have gone in similar circumstances, what did you do, what did you tell DVLA??

Cheers.

BB.
As far as I'm aware, you don't have to do anything. Just leave the country When you take your Aussie test or just transfer over, they will generally take your UK one and stamp a hole through it so you can't use it there. If you come back, just contact DVLA and get a new one sent to you.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi,

Cheers.

BB.
According to the DVLA I now live in Birmingham, at a relatives house. But i've been in Australia for quite a few years now

My advice; change it to your parents address, and leave it at that.

They do NOT, as far as I am aware, accept changing it to an overseas address.

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:22 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Sell it in Asia on the way over.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:10 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
According to the DVLA I now live in Birmingham, at a relatives house. But i've been in Australia for quite a few years now

They do NOT, as far as I am aware, accept changing it to an overseas address.
Agree I have been here for a few years but still have my UK licence with an inlaws address.

If parental address not available ask another relative. Better to have a real address if you ever use the licence in future. We do to hire cars when we go home and cheaper on some rellie insurance to add us on home licences rather than foreign ones

Cheers
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:17 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Cheers.

BB.
Don't do a change of address until you have had your "hole" stamped in it.

We did a direct swap of our UK photocards and got one issued by vicroads. Not sure what they do in Perth, this is just our experience. They punched a hole in our UK ones, and also asked for the extra bit of paper as well. We said we'd "lost" the paper part. We were told we were not allowed to have 2 licences.

Once we had our australian licences, I filled out the paper part of the english licence, and sent it back to the UK with the photocard which had a hole in it, with a change of address to parents address, in an envelope with a UK stamp on, which was in an envelope addressed to a relative to post - so it looked like we had just moved within the UK.

The DVLA re-issued our photocards, as they keep the photo digitised, no questions asked, and no fee to pay!

So now we have 2 driving licences!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kendodd
We were told we were not allowed to have 2 licences.
I think that only applies in South Australia.

If you have an overseas Driver's Licence and have moved to South Australia, you must surrender your overseas Driver's Licence
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen..._residents.asp

Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:25 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Even easier, sell your house to your parents. Then you don't have to change your UK driving licence at all
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Actually Victoria does seem to be quoting the same now:
When you are issued with a Victorian driver licence you must surrender your overseas licence
VicRoads

Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:39 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Victoria does seem to be quoting the same now:
When you are issued with a Victorian driver licence you must surrender your overseas licence
VicRoads

I was actually told that when I came to QLD as well, but in the end, they just photocopied it and gave it back. And as my folks are now living in my old address, it works nicely
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers.

BB.
dont do anything, minor detail. You have enough to think about.
You dont have to do theory test here any more, so just go in and get ozzy licence when you get here. Denise , from Morecambe, been here 9 months and loving it.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:33 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers.

BB.
Why not loose it ?

I mean if you were to accidentally to 'loose it' apply for a replacement, should you find your old one just before you left - hey presto you have two licences - one that can be punched with a hole and another brand spanking new one to keep for ever!!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:24 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wargod
Why not loose it ?

I mean if you were to accidentally to 'loose it' apply for a replacement, should you find your old one just before you left - hey presto you have two licences - one that can be punched with a hole and another brand spanking new one to keep for ever!!
Don't the DVLA make you pay a fee for a lost licence?

Use the existing one to get an australian equivalent, then send the hole-punched one off to the DVLA with a change of address and pay no fee?
That makes sense doesn't it? Or am I missing something?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:30 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Sell it in Asia on the way over.

How much would you get for it ?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:39 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers.

BB.
Change it to your parents address, theres no reason to tell the DVLA your going overseas. Then forget all about it, there no such thing as stamping a hole in it in WA, so ignore anything mentioned on that front.
There's no test needed here either, so just going into the centre once your here and apply for an Ozzie one.
Its all really straight forward.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.