Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do in Melbourne on Xmas day with a 2 year old

What to do in Melbourne on Xmas day with a 2 year old

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:37 am
Just Joined

lynh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do in Melbourne on Xmas day with a 2 year old

Hi everyone. This will be our first Christmas in Melbourne and away from our families so it is just Hubby, 2yr old son and I.
I really can't face a quiet Christmas day at home slaving over a stove and would really like something more special than sandwiches on the beach.
Any suggestions for an good place to eat which will also be entertaining for a lively 2year old. Any good Melbourne restaurants with play areas for example? Or Melbourne attractions that will also be serving food?
Please help!
Thanks
Lynette
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:40 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in Melbourne on Xmas day with a 2 year old

I don't know if Melbourne zoo is the same as Sydney in it's opening hours? Taronga is open 365 days a year. Visiting and taking a picnic is an option we're considering with our 2-year-old this year.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:44 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Oh I didn't know that about Taronga here in Sydney - that might be an option for us & our 2yr old as we have been looking for an opportunity to check out the zoo
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:59 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I don't know if Melbourne zoo is the same as Sydney in it's opening hours? Taronga is open 365 days a year. Visiting and taking a picnic is an option we're considering with our 2-year-old this year.
Christmas day at the Zoo in Melbourne is MOBBED. It's a real family day out and everyone trucks in a mountain of food with them for huge picnic spreads.

We went with a gang of friends last year (who all have <4 yr old kids) and it was so good, we'll do it again this year.

Seriously, it is busssyyy on Xmas day. If you ain't there by 9:30am, you'll struggle to find a spot to lay the picnic blanket !

Do have a plan B in reserve for unexpected weather. Although last Xmas day was glorious in Mellie (as have been most of them in the 8 years we have been here), I distinctly remember hailstones on the day for 2007 !