Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do I do when shippers are in?

What do I do when shippers are in?

Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:25 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I do when shippers are in?

Hi all,

Anyone already made the move tell me what I am supposed to do when the shippers are packing up?

I am sure it is a stupid question but I suppose I have to actually be here aside from making cups of tea I will have already had to pack up what I don't want them to take. So what did you all do?

Not coming till August but it's something on my mind - I have run out of things to worry about now so I am just creating them - you know the routine.

Cheers

Max x
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:53 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do when shippers are in?

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hi all,

Anyone already made the move tell me what I am supposed to do when the shippers are packing up?

I am sure it is a stupid question but I suppose I have to actually be here aside from making cups of tea I will have already had to pack up what I don't want them to take. So what did you all do?

Not coming till August but it's something on my mind - I have run out of things to worry about now so I am just creating them - you know the routine.

Cheers

Max x
Best thing is keep out the way,send the kids to stay with rellies, you can help by placing all your Qarantine items together so they can be packed and labled 'of intrest for Q", pull your computer and stereo down, roll up cables for packing, bag up your junk draws, clean any outside items which show soil cont.....hows that for starters .............................. MM
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

AAAHHHHHH

drawers are filled with stuff we are not taking, bikes and garden tools have been washed and disinfected

just the attic to unload

OMG never again

arlene
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:44 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hi all,

Cheers

Max x
What to do when the shippers are in? Well, if they are a fit-looking bunch of young blokes in tight white T-shirts, I suggest you hang around, wearing something black & lacy...

Just joking (well, a bit )

I know this problem - I'm trying to work out what to do with me & the cats when the shippers are in - & can only think of kind neighbors or spending the day in the car.

Maybe I'll lock the cats in the car, & have a girls' day out with my mates....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by anya4oz
Well, if they are a fit-looking bunch of young blokes in tight white T-shirts, I suggest you hang around, wearing something black & lacy...

Maybe I'll lock the cats in the car, & have a girls' day out with my mates....

Anya.
Either of the above sound good to me
Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:48 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Sell it all and buy new, that's what we are doing, only taking personal effects and we have enough of them.....:scared:

Shippers coming Weds/Thurs this week, fly Friday......:scared:

Party on Sunday

Clevs
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:29 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by clevs
Sell it all and buy new, that's what we are doing, only taking personal effects and we have enough of them.....:scared:

Party on Sunday

Clevs
Hi Clevs,

I'm planning to do the same but haven't got as far as getting quotes yet.

Did you get the shippers in to quote whilst your stuff was still lying around the house, or did you pack first?

If you don't mind me asking, how much stuff/how many boxes are you shipping and what is it costing you?

any suggestions on who to get in to quote and/or who to avoid?

Lots of people have taken container loads but not many of us seem to go for the "totally new start" option.

Thanks and good luck,

Elaine M
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:00 pm

Originally posted by clevs

Party on Sunday

Clevs

It would suit some but for us would not be financially sensible! We have some things that can't be replaced, some anitiques, some things that would cost a fortune to replace in Aus. I love my furniture and to replace it all would cost a damn sight more than £5k shipping - my mates keep hinting they would like ' my bed, sofas etc etc..yeah for nothing I'll bet!

If I was absolutely minted I would do what you are doing lets face it it will be damn sight easier not to have to wait for it to arrive but we have done the sums and we would end up out of pocket...this is going to cost £20k as it is!

Max x
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:41 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I would hang around in the house ... make the odd cuppa and just make sure things are being packed ok. We waited till the shippers got going packing stuff then went for a nice cooked breaky at our local cafe then nipped back and had a nosey at how they were doing and made another cuppa ... then we nipped out to the local pub and had a few pints ... went back to see how far they had got and made another cuppa then popped round to the "nice" neighbours and sat drinking coffee for a while ... then went back to check on progress etc and you guessed it ... made another cuppa.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:42 am

Originally posted by sky
I would hang around in the house ... make the odd cuppa and just make sure things are being packed ok. We waited till the shippers got going packing stuff then went for a nice cooked breaky at our local cafe then nipped back and had a nosey at how they were doing and made another cuppa ... then we nipped out to the local pub and had a few pints ... went back to see how far they had got and made another cuppa then popped round to the "nice" neighbours and sat drinking coffee for a while ... then went back to check on progress etc and you guessed it ... made another cuppa.

..yes this sounds like the plan!

Nice lazy 3 days I reckon..eating out..no housework!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:44 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Even if you have packed what you DON'T want them to take you HAVE to literally sit on it!

Those guys are like locusts - they come in, pack EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down and disappear. Oh, and drink a LOT of tea in the process!

Mind you, I had a very interesting discussion with one of my guys about the pros and cons of reshaping your penis (don't ask).
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:47 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster

Mind you, I had a very interesting discussion with one of my guys about the pros and cons of reshaping your penis (don't ask).
OMG the mind boggles!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:54 am

Originally posted by Pollster
Even if you have packed what you DON'T want them to take you HAVE to literally sit on it!

Those guys are like locusts - they come in, pack EVERYTHING that isn't bolted down and disappear. Oh, and drink a LOT of tea in the process!

LOL pollster only you!

Yeah my mate had a similar situation when they moved to the States - silly buggers took her airline suitcase that she had packed to go on a trip even though it had a big sticker on it saying ' not to be taken'. Also this is a rented house and some things belong to the house so I think I will have to watch them!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lol oh yea forgot about that side of it ... we have got a welsh dresser here in nz that was never meant to come and they packed all my sons trainers and winter coat etc that should have been left out lol
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:05 am

Originally posted by sky
Lol oh yea forgot about that side of it ... we have got a welsh dresser here in nz that was never meant to come and they packed all my sons trainers and winter coat etc that should have been left out lol

...now thats what I call a big mistake!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.