Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do I do with my 3.5 year old?

What do I do with my 3.5 year old?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice
Default Re: What do I do with my 3.5 year old?

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Thats a day-care centre then not kindy? It may well have a 'kindy' program with some educational content for the older kids, but its different from the timetabled structured program of "C&K" kindys.

DayCare kindys have the problem that since kids can be in for 1 day a week or 5 days a week (and anywhere in between) its very hard to design a structured coherent program for them all to follow.

"Real" kindy (dont mean to sound condescending - but for want of a better term...) has attendence on fixed days for all kids - so they progress through their 'curriculum' together at a similar rate. Being community run they're also cheaper than daycare centres that are run 'for profit'.

Daycare kindys however do have the advantage of longer opening hours since their primary purpose os to look after kids whilst parents work.

The one we go to is a non-profit organisation and at $50 a day is cheap.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulhill
The one we go to is a non-profit organisation and at $50 a day is cheap.
But when they're old enough to go to the proper kindy it only costs $50 a term (state school two school days a week). My son just started this year, and as a boy with a birthday in July I've had to wait until he was 4.5, but it was worth it, he loves it and was so ready to go.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:01 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

and at $50 a day is cheap...
hmm - compared with $450 a term...
Lets see - 10 week terms, = 25days = $18 a day...

Dont want to turn it into a pissing contest - but kindy will always be cheaper than daycare! (and 'prep' better still since its free!!!!)
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain
hmm - compared with $450 a term...
Lets see - 10 week terms, = 25days = $18 a day...

Dont want to turn it into a pissing contest - but kindy will always be cheaper than daycare! (and 'prep' better still since its free!!!!)
Ok, so my options are:

1. Keep him at home with me until Jan 2009 - when he can start kindy two days a week, which he will attend for one year. He will then start prep in 2010 (he will turn 5 in September of this year).

2. Keep him at home with me until Jan 2010 - he will go straight into prep, that's if he hasn't left home or died of boredom

3. Put him in a Daycare setting (expensive) to suit the number of days/hours which suits me and him until he his old enough for Kindy (hel'll probably go to both kindy and daycare as 2 halfdays a week is not enough for him), then onto Prep in 2010.

I think I'll go with no. 3 if I can find a daycare which offers decent standards of care. This thread has me imagining all sorts of bad things though. What are the daycare facilities like? Honestly?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:29 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

When you get here I'd find the nearest C&K and put your childs name on the waiting list. You just might get lucky. We put my daughters name down last October (2007) and she managed to get a spot for Term 1 when it started up at the end of January. We were very lucky, but for some reason there were quite a few people that got in at the last minute.

The C&K is either 2 days or 3 days a week. It costs $20 a day minus the centrelink child care beneft, so with the minimum benefit that everyone gets it's about $18 a day. There is a HUGE difference between the C&K and the daycare kindy program that my daughter went to before this.

The C&K is just like a regular school program. There is a start time, finish time and a regular curriculum. In contrast the daycare she went to before this was not as structured and the kids could be dropped off or picked up at any time in the day. Plus you don't get to meet any of the parents that way. I was happy with it at the time but now that I've seen the difference I'd choose the C&K anyday. There really wasn't anything wrong with the daycare kindy though, the centre was nice and so were the teachers & assistants. It just wasn't as structured and I don't think she was getting as much out of it. Oh, and the daycare kindy was $48 a day I think (then minus subsidies).
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Sorry for butting in again, but I am not totally confused. My son was born in November so does that mean that the January following his 5th birthday he will start prep or is it before that.

Help, don't know if I can deal with all these changes lolol.

Kind regards Lou xx
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

The Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of light

What does C&K stand for, just so i know what im looking for once i arrive.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loubiegreen
Sorry for butting in again, but I am not totally confused. My son was born in November so does that mean that the January following his 5th birthday he will start prep or is it before that.

Help, don't know if I can deal with all these changes lolol.

Kind regards Lou xx
Yes that's correct. So he will turn 6 in Prep, 7 in Y1, 8 in Y2 etc. Same as my son.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bournes
What does C&K stand for, just so i know what im looking for once i arrive.
http://www.candk.asn.au/

C&K is a private childcare operation with a good reputation (as far as I can see).
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dejags
http://www.candk.asn.au/

C&K is a private childcare operation with a good reputation (as far as I can see).
I'm not sure I would use the term "childcare" though. It is in a technical sense, but they aren't really a place you could use for full time childcare.

You can only choose 2 or 3 day a week options and the school day runs from 8:30 to 2pm. Great school but it might not fit into the schedules of many working parents.

Our centre does have extra programs that run later. So you have the option to extend to 3pm for $7 more, or you can extend to 5:30 at the latest (not sure how much more though).
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm not sure I would use the term "childcare" though. It is in a technical sense, but they aren't really a place you could use for full time childcare.

You can only choose 2 or 3 day a week options and the school day runs from 8:30 to 2pm. Great school but it might not fit into the schedules of many working parents.

Our centre does have extra programs that run later. So you have the option to extend to 3pm for $7 more, or you can extend to 5:30 at the latest (not sure how much more though).
Oh, I didn't realise that. Their website says they do offer childcare at certain centres http://www.candk.asn.au/Preschooling...Childcare.aspx

Maybe it depends on where you live.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Thanks everyone,

Reading this my eldest who is actually in secondary school here in the UK looks like he will have to do a school year twice, don't think he will be too happy about that, but never mind.

Not quite so confused now lolol.

Thanks again you have been a great help.

Lou xx
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Sorry to butt in...
My son was born on the 30th of June 2006. Will he then be the youngest in his class?
We are going to live in Queensland...are they very strict about when your kid should start...we dont want him going if he aint really ready.
But to be honest I think he will be very ready for it by then!
HKA
x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:33 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Sorry to butt in...
My son was born on the 30th of June 2006. Will he then be the youngest in his class?
We are going to live in Queensland...are they very strict about when your kid should start...we dont want him going if he aint really ready.
HKA
x
It doesn't really work like that, all the kids who will turn 6 in 2012 will start school together in Jan/Feb at the beginning of term 1.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Sorry to butt in...
HKA
x

It doesn't really work like that, all the kids who will turn 6 in 2012 will start school together in Jan/Feb at the beginning of term 1.

....Cordelia...
He will be the youngest in his class still the same...
'Cos he will be in the same class as kids who could have been born 1 July 2005..
If he were born 24 hours later he would be the oldest...in the following cohort.
I think....
Al
x

PS Kim says the show home is up for sale too now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.