Reload this Page >

What to do with the children?

What to do with the children?

Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Wizzzbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with the children?

Hi,

We are looking to come out to Aus later this year for a fact finding holiday. We have two children, Luke who will be five and Katie who will be 18 months. Luke will be easy to occupy for the flight but Katie will be another matter. So the question is. What have other people done to occupy their 18 month olds?

Jason and Sue
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do with the children?

Originally Posted by Wizzzbang
Hi,

We are looking to come out to Aus later this year for a fact finding holiday. We have two children, Luke who will be five and Katie who will be 18 months. Luke will be easy to occupy for the flight but Katie will be another matter. So the question is. What have other people done to occupy their 18 month olds?

Jason and Sue
You'll probably get loads of advice as this has been covered lots of times...
Best suggestion would be to make the 1st leg of your journey a night flight - most children will eventually fall asleep for a large majority of that part of the journey...
when our daughter was about that age we used to take plenty of little things for her to do - like minitubs of playdoh, stickers that she used to stick all over the seat in front of her (and then we'd pick them off at the end of the flight) and some new little toys that she hadn't seen before - the novelty normally lasted longer than if we'd taken her familiar toys.
The rest of the time they're normally quite happy standing and looking over the seats at whoevers sitting behind you! going for the occasional walk up and down the plane and in between that hopefully eating / drinking or sleeping!
Just remember the journey is never as bad as you envisage it to be!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wizzzbang
Hi,

Jason and Sue
Hi there,

We went to Brisbane last May to validate and although my son was 8 at the time, he gets very travel sick. We flew Manchester to Dubai had a stop for about 1 1/2 hours and then flew on to Singapore where we stayed over night.
We chose a night flight (out of Manchester at about 8pm) and found this good as my son was tired and slept the first leg of the journey. The only downside was the waiting in Dubai, I think that we should have flown direct to Singapore and stayed over night so that we did not have to disturb him, maybe he would have stayed asleep! (My son was not good on the flight from Dubai to Singapore and by the time we arrived I was absolutely shattered and very ratty! OH was sprawled out sleeping and I was seeing to our sick child).
Who are you flying with? we used Emirates and they were excellent. They provide cot beds for small children (which attach onto the wall in front of your seat) but I am not sure what age they are suitable up to so it might be wise to check with the airline that you intend to use.
As for your son there is plenty of entertainment so I am sure that he will be fine as you said.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there,

We went to Brisbane last May to validate and although my son was 8 at the time, he gets very travel sick. We flew Manchester to Dubai had a stop for about 1 1/2 hours and then flew on to Singapore where we stayed over night.
We chose a night flight (out of Manchester at about 8pm) and found this good as my son was tired and slept the first leg of the journey. The only downside was the waiting in Dubai, I think that we should have flown direct to Singapore and stayed over night so that we did not have to disturb him, maybe he would have stayed asleep! (My son was not good on the flight from Dubai to Singapore and by the time we arrived I was absolutely shattered and very ratty! OH was sprawled out sleeping and I was seeing to our sick child).
Who are you flying with? we used Emirates and they were excellent. They provide cot beds for small children (which attach onto the wall in front of your seat) but I am not sure what age they are suitable up to so it might be wise to check with the airline that you intend to use.
As for your son there is plenty of entertainment so I am sure that he will be fine as you said.
Hi - we flew with Emirates in november and our son was 11months old and too big for the skycots then.... I doubt an 18month old would be suitable for one. We paid for our son to have his own seat - which i'd recommend if you can afford it on a longhaul for any child under 2 - otherwise it can be a journey from hell with them on your laps for all that time...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi - we flew with Emirates in november and our son was 11months old and too big for the skycots then.... I doubt an 18month old would be suitable for one. We paid for our son to have his own seat - which i'd recommend if you can afford it on a longhaul for any child under 2 - otherwise it can be a journey from hell with them on your laps for all that time...
i flew with sing airlines and we booked a sky cot for our daughter who was 16 months at the time she fitted in just about but she is a light weight , but the best thing was we got the bulk head seats and as there was 3 of us me partner and 3 yr old we were ok the flights were good as oh could spread out

book a sky cot even if you dont use it as you do get the extra leg rm
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by travelbug
I agree with them having their own seat if it is possible, (cost wise). Any journey with a child on your lap is a journey from hell, going on previous experience, but all that way does not even bare thinking about.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by grahampaula
I agree with them having their own seat if it is possible, (cost wise). Any journey with a child on your lap is a journey from hell, going on previous experience, but all that way does not even bare thinking about.
Couldn't agree more Saying that though....my OH did end up with our son on his chest asleep for long leg of the journey - so our daughter ended up spreading out across two seats instead!
travelling with kids is always a joy! I wont go into the story about when our daughter filled her nappy just as the seat-belt sign came on once - and it was on for a LONG time! Poor fellow passengers is all i'll say - it was bad enough for us and we're her parents!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
i flew with sing airlines and we booked a sky cot for our daughter who was 16 months at the time she fitted in just about but she is a light weight , but the best thing was we got the bulk head seats and as there was 3 of us me partner and 3 yr old we were ok the flights were good as oh could spread out

book a sky cot even if you dont use it as you do get the extra leg rm

Crikey, that was lucky if your daughter managed to fit in one. I know with Emirates that their bassinets only take a maximum weight of 11kgs - the most i'm aware of is 12kg! You just have to pray when booking sky cots that there's not too many babies on board - there was quite a few on our last flight in November with Emirates - otherwise there's not enough bulkhead seats for everyone!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Wizzzbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. It certainly makes us feel more positive about the journey and we certainly will try the cot idea. The more leg room the better.....

Many thanks

Jason and Sue.