Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do in Brisbane on a Sunday

What to do in Brisbane on a Sunday

Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do in Brisbane on a Sunday

As mentioned in another thread I am coming up to my First Australian Anniversary, Sunday 14th December to be exact. To show that I'm a thoughtful, spontaneous sort of guy I would welcome help from my fellow Brisuburbanites for ideas to celebrate. Please keep costs to a minimum as I've got downpayments on a Target Christmas Tree 'D' to make. I feel it should start with brekkie atop Mt Cootha but what next?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in Brisbane on a Sunday

Originally posted by jayr
As mentioned in another thread I am coming up to my First Australian Anniversary, Sunday 14th December to be exact. To show that I'm a thoughtful, spontaneous sort of guy I would welcome help from my fellow Brisuburbanites for ideas to celebrate. Please keep costs to a minimum as I've got downpayments on a Target Christmas Tree 'D' to make. I feel it should start with brekkie atop Mt Cootha but what next?
After the breakfast on Mt Cootha you could go browse some of the many markets around the place. The ones down at Eagle St are supposed to be ok & I think there maybe another lot in town there somwhere? Where abouts escapes me for now. Afterwards you can head to Southbank for lunch/swim & then a walk around Kangaroo Point or across the Goodwill Bridge to the Botanical Gardens. What about lunch on the Kookaburra Queen cruising up the river? Or a trip to the planetarium & JC Slaughter Falls at the base of Mt Cootha? What about the art gallery & the museum at SouthBank? Or the Maritime Museum down the other end? A day trip to Straddie or Bribie? (see, I notice the good stuff ) . Heaps of other stuff, do you want more?

Or you could come to the expats meet at Wynnum LOL .
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:02 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas. Did the Kookaburra Queens thing on Father's Day, the food's bad but the cruise is fantastic, highly recommend to anyone spending some time in Brisbane
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You don't fancy Expatting it at Wynnum then??!!!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:14 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Pollyana
You don't fancy Expatting it at Wynnum then??!!!

With all due respect to my fellow Brissy Expats, I've always intentionally avoided face to face expat things, I want to settle in to Aus 'naturally' and make friends across the spectrum rather than gravitate to what I know best. I spent four months as a student in the US and because I was with a group of Poms (errr..Limeys) lived a bit too much of an expat thing. I love to be involved in the virtual expat community however. Also, please don't post any photos from it, I would hate for my virtual images of you all to be dashed, it's a bit like seeing the film after you've read the book! What if Mrs D didn't turn out to be a charming, vivacious, amusing, diva for example!

Recommend you sit on the beach enjoying prawn cutlets and chips from that v old fashioned chip shop/milk bar/grocery shop down there - a lovely way to spend the evening. Me, I've just found that there's river fireworks and carols on at Southbank, love seeing the fireworks over the river with all the boaties out!

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ourbrisev...s/1/60683.html
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:22 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What if Mrs D didn't turn out to be a charming, vivacious, amusing, diva for example!
OMG *groan* Im not even going to go there jayr, the sarcasm is cutting LOL.

I was wondering if there was anything on at Southbank or in town, I know the christmas carols are on this weekend, we'll have to miss those as we have a prior engagement (Dagboys work xmas party *shudder*) which is a pity. Didnt realise there were fireworks on the river, those sort of things are usually reserved for a Sat night!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Ackkkkkk I just looked at that website, bloody hell dont let Dagboy see it or he will want to have our boat out there. Hes just bought some more xmas lights (3 lots now) & keeps muttering about decorations & cutout reindeer for the roof & entering the 4KQ christmas lights competition, the boat thing would just be too much for him LOL.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats okay Jayr, Mrs D had already said you wouldn't be coming!

charming, vivacious, amusing, diva
well you would be disappointed on meeting me then!!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm. Qld... Sunday...

Go to church? That would be about it I expect.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do in Brisbane on a Sunday

When I first arrived in Oz someone in Brisbane pointed out Mount Cootha with great pride. I said "where?" looking way in the distance for a mountain. Then it dawned on me it was the hill that wasn't too far away.

Just one of the virgin to Oz moments I remember.