Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to do about 20 year old son

what to do about 20 year old son

Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Question what to do about 20 year old son

does anyone have any advice for me. my son is20 still living at home and would like to come with us if accepted but what is best way . if I apply or him on my skilled independant visa and he can@t go on that oe it mean we have to start the process again
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do about 20 year old son

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
does anyone have any advice for me. my son is20 still living at home and would like to come with us if accepted but what is best way . if I apply or him on my skilled independant visa and he can@t go on that oe it mean we have to start the process again
Dependency for children over 18 is tricky and you should get professional advice. Is he still in full time education or do you otherwise support him? If he has a full time job, DIMIA will likely take a sceptical view. If he has a partner (spouse, fiance or de-facto partner) they will not accept him as dependent.

If they refuse to accept him as dependent you will get your visa (with the rest of the family) and he won't. It might be possible to sponsor him later on for a visa after you settle in Australia for a while but this could take some years and may never work out. Depends on circumstances.

There are many cases where older children have found themselves refused permission to migrate along with their families. A good agent is essential in this area as the rules are specific and the risk of confusion is high.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

thank you for that he is working part-time was hoping to go to uni next year but we'll have to see , just didn't want to jeapordize our applications, but also don't want to leave him behind as taking the younger4 with us
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for that he is working part-time was hoping to go to uni next year but we'll have to see , just didn't want to jeapordize our applications, but also don't want to leave him behind as taking the younger4 with us
It's not a case of jeopardising _your_ application, it's a question of whether he will be able to join you.

A case like yours is not necessarily simple => you need the assistance of an experienced professional as soon as possible. Don't wait until DIMIA have refused his application (as part of yours) before seeking assistance.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Red face Re: what to do about 20 year old son

I agree with Jeremy you need good advice this is the situation we were in but talking to agents proved to be a minefield
We applied though before we found this forum so couldnt ask for advice re agents here but spoke to a number of agents all of whom gave completly different impressions of what we needed to do to show dependency the chances of success they su ggested varied from no chance at all dont want to take the case thank you to no problem at all. Had we found this forum earlier I would have contacted the agents recomended on here just for piece of mind becuase they come with real life recomendations
we ended up following the DIMA guidance being absolutly up front and honest did the application myself and all we can do now is wait for a decision

I am philisophical about it though if they dont want to admit my daughter we wont go as I realise now i couldnt leave her behind so keep your fingers crossed for us I will post when I know
good luck
mary and Stu
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you yes please let me know, I have spoken to an agent initially but we were deciding whether to use one. there advice on first impression was to leave him off and apply for a working holiday visa then apply for him to stay after that but i am not convinced that is right when you read the onfo by DIMIA. we are still going not sure that i will be able to leave him but we have put this off before but age is creeping and if we don't soon do it it'll be too late.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mary do you have other children going with you
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am a Midwife I see you hve one thro' kill assessment with ANMC
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Hi there I am a midwife so notched up the points fairly easily no job offer will just take a chance when I get there

we have 3 kids aged 13 17 19 the eldest is now at uni and wants to transfer if we get in she only started in september though and we applied in August when she was actually working (in a supermarket cafe )but we sent the uni offer letter and a letter explaining what she had been doing in the gap year ie sleeping and a bit of travelling but she is at home etc etc

I know some people are still much further away from a final desicion than us but we have been living sleeping eating this process since last September and all I want now is just to know yes or no so we can move on
it is hard but stick with it
I am sure if we get a no for Jemma I will sulk then bounce back with holiday visa working student last reamining relative sponsorship failing all else one of my friends over there may marry her if I ask nicely
where in OZ are you heading to ??

Mary
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

plan on goin to Adelaide but probably start out there and see here jobs are. my kids are 5, 7, 9, 12, and 19, I was told by agent that if he was at uni it should be ok, but not very clear otherwise. it does say if dependant for housingetc but he wants us to go so we'll have to see theres also this remaining family member visa.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

keep in touch it would be great to have another midwife to refer to, where do you plan on going
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

keep in touch it would be great to have another midwife to refer to, where do you plan on going
heading for Brisbane
three of my friends are already there and it was while visiting them last summer we decided we would go to
If you manage to get there by next July the International Confederation of Midwives tri annual conference is in Brisbane so you should aim to be there with every other midwife inn O z thats where i am hoping to find my job !
we will keep in touch will pm you with any news as it comes

Mary
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you Mary talk to you soon fingers crossed for your daughter
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not a case of jeopardising _your_ application, it's a question of whether he will be able to join you.

A case like yours is not necessarily simple => you need the assistance of an experienced professional as soon as possible. Don't wait until DIMIA have refused his application (as part of yours) before seeking assistance.

Jeremy
Jeremy, we have already had a Pre-Grant letter for my wife myself and our 19 year old daughter, we are waiting for a decision to be made.

Our application was the STNI route and it has been a DIY job (with help from everyone here) we feel we are very close now and the end is in sight, however after reading your comments about the DIMIA refusing teenagers at this age has us worried! Like marysidey we have provided proof of dependancy such as letters from school, student cards, family allowance etc.

They have not asked us to provide any additional proof that she is dependant only a form 1022 (Notification of changes in circumstances), which we have not returned as there are no changes.

In your opinion do you think she is likely to be refused? should we provide any more proof without it being requested? do you really think we need to see an agent at this late stage?

Any advice would be of great help!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by cat5
Jeremy, we have already had a Pre-Grant letter for my wife myself and our 19 year old daughter, we are waiting for a decision to be made.
If you've had a pre-grant (and they have not asked for further information) I think it's likely they have accepted your evidence, so keep fingers crossed for now. Make sure she stays dependent right up to the point visas are validated.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.